What if deposit was paid before 6th April 2007?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The key date is when the AST begins, not when the deposit is taken. Therefore your deposit should be protectected within 14 days of the start of your AST or reipt of the deposit (if thats later).

One of my colleagues has taken some legal advice and spoken with a colleague who has had some involvement in the new legislation and both views are that the legislation is clear in that deposits only have to be protected if taken after 6 April 07. She has spoken with two of the schemes operators and they are adamant that deposits paid prior to April 07 do not have to be protected

We were given this example:

Students - Housing - Communities and Local Government

A student has paid a full deposit before 6 April 2007 (eg in March) for an AST starting after 6 April 2007 (eg in September 2007). Will the deposit need to be protected under an authorised scheme and, if so, at what point?

No. A tenancy deposit taken before 6 April 2007 will not be required to be held under an authorised scheme.

I am not sure myself, as the legislation consistently refers to "deposit paid", as in paid at all, no matter when but with regards to AST ade or agreed on or after 06/04/07

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A student has paid a full deposit before 6 April 2007 (eg in March) for an AST starting after 6 April 2007 (eg in September 2007). Will the deposit need to be protected under an authorised scheme and, if so, at what point?

No. A tenancy deposit taken before 6 April 2007 will not be required to be held under an authorised scheme.

Hmmm so according to this I am not protected whereas Planner thinks I am.

The key date is when the AST begins, not when the deposit is taken. Therefore your deposit should be protectected within 14 days of the start of your AST or reipt of the deposit (if thats later).

Planner are you sure about this? Is there any chance you could post the relevant legal writing that states this?

Thank you all for your replies