• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Confused about car insurance claim?? Sheilas Wheels

Don4071
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello would appreciate someonebodys advice or opinion about this.

My car is insured with Sheilas Wheels

After another driver hit my car I reported the accident to my insurance company.

Sheilas Wheels appointed 'Drive Assist' to deal with the claim. To say they haven't handled the claim smoothly is an understatement - however they have told me something I don't think I've ever heard before.

Basiclly they need to replace the whole of the back bumper. There is some pre accidental damage already on the bumper - so given that - I need to contribute towards the replacement of the bumper.

Can anyone tell me if what they're saying is correct?

Many thanks.

NatWest

Data Protection Act Letter - 06/08/2006

Statements rec'd 14/9/2006

Preliminary Letter sent - 27/9/06

LBA - 18/10/06

Claim with Court - 31/10/2006

Got until 14/11/06 to acknowledge.

7/11/06 Received ltr offering full settlement minus

interest + court costs

12/11/06 - Rejection sent

17/11/6006 - Natwest Acknowledged

4/12/06 - Rec'd Natwest Def (Cobbetts)

5/1206 - Rec'd partial offer (Cobbetts)

THE WOOLWICH

List of charges rec'd - 04/9/2006

Prelimary Letter sent - 06/09/2006

Response - 'fully investigating' - 11/09/2006

Claim with Court - 20/10/06

Acknowledged - 20/10/2006

Defence by 17/11/2006

AQ to be returned - 11/12/2006

Court Date - 14/02/2007

**SETTLED IN FULL**

CAPITAL ONE

**SETTLED IN FULL** 3/11/06

In a nutshell - yes.

The purpose of insurance is to reinstate you to the position you were in prior to the accident. As they can't fit a damaged bumper they will obviously fit a new one so you would in effect be better off as it eliminates the pre exisiting damage.

Have they said how much they want you to pay?

Hi thanks. If I understand this right - by replacing the whole bumper my car will be in a better state than it was prior to the accident? Pity I can't ask them just to replace the portion that was damaged - or even better ask for them to reinstate the pre-accidental damage on the new bumper - lol.

The cost in total comes to £858! I was quite surprised by that as I had originally had a quote from the dealer to repair the damage and that came to £238. So either the dealer didn't do such an indepth quote or the garage appointed by the insurance company know it's an insurance job... just speculating.

The bumper part of the total cost comes to £196 and they want me to pay £112 of that.

NatWest

Statements rec'd 14/9/2006

Preliminary Letter sent - 27/9/06

LBA - 18/10/06

Claim with Court - 31/10/2006

Got until 14/11/06 to acknowledge.

7/11/06 Received ltr offering full settlement minus

interest + court costs

12/11/06 - Rejection sent

17/11/6006 - Natwest Acknowledged

4/12/06 - Rec'd Natwest Def (Cobbetts)

5/1206 - Rec'd partial offer (Cobbetts)

THE WOOLWICH

List of charges rec'd - 04/9/2006

Prelimary Letter sent - 06/09/2006

Response - 'fully investigating' - 11/09/2006

Claim with Court - 20/10/06

Acknowledged - 20/10/2006

Defence by 17/11/2006

AQ to be returned - 11/12/2006

Court Date - 14/02/2007

**SETTLED IN FULL**

CAPITAL ONE

**SETTLED IN FULL** 3/11/06

Hello would appreciate someonebodys advice or opinion about this.

My car is insured with Sheilas Wheels

After another driver hit my car I reported the accident to my insurance company.

Sheilas Wheels appointed 'Drive Assist' to deal with the claim. To say they haven't handled the claim smoothly is an understatement - however they have told me something I don't think I've ever heard before.

Basiclly they need to replace the whole of the back bumper. There is some pre accidental damage already on the bumper - so given that - I need to contribute towards the replacement of the bumper.

Can anyone tell me if what they're saying is correct?

Many thanks.

It's the betterment argument - again - & in your case I doubt a valid one - you can rightly argue that you want your vehicle restored to it's pre accident condition - that is your right - nor can you be asked to pay extra for what I assume as a non-fault accident - in other words you cannot be expected to be out of pocket for someone else's negligence & the fact that your vehicle will be in slightly better condition than before is just your good luck

It's the betterment argument - again - & in your case I doubt a valid one - you can rightly argue that you want your vehicle restored to it's pre accident condition - that is your right - nor can you be asked to pay extra for what I assume as a non-fault accident - in other words you cannot be expected to be out of pocket for someone else's negligence & the fact that your vehicle will be in slightly better condition than before is just your good luck

Sorry JC but I don't agree.

As you rightly say, it is the responsibility of the negligent party to restore the vehicle to it's PRE ACCIDENT CONDITION, nothing more nothing less. As the car was already damaged in some way prior to this accident, the TP insurers would in effect be paying to repair damage for which their insured driver was not responsible.

I can't comment on whether the amount they want Don to pay is reasonable without knowing how much damage there was to the bumper before this incident but it does seem to be a rather random figure (57.3%) so it would be interesting to know how this was arrived at.

Sorry but it's you who's wrong.

Whilst I know it's insurance company practice to claim such repairs are betterment & the victim should make a contribution the victim cannot be forced to do so but they do not knowing any better.

Also had the accident not happened then the victim would not have had to pay anything nor would they have chosen too

Another of their cons is to offer an insured little more than trade value rather than retail when a vehicle is written off. - my argument there is to tell them OK you find them a like for like vehicle in all respects, mileage age, colour, fittings etc ,& I'm sure the victim will settle

My understanding a few years ago was that if pre-existing damage could not affect the repair necessary for the damage claimed for, then the insurer could not ask for a contribution. So, if a bumper had a pre-existing scratch and was wrecked in an accident, the bumper would have to come off anyway. the pre-existing damage is neither here nor there.

My understanding a few years ago was that if pre-existing damage could not affect the repair necessary for the damage claimed for, then the insurer could not ask for a contribution. So, if a bumper had a pre-existing scratch and was wrecked in an accident, the bumper would have to come off anyway. the pre-existing damage is neither here nor there.

Correct Gyzmo

I'm still not sure about this and I apologise if I have given the OP an incorrect answer. This may be a learning exercise for me!

I have copied this from the esure policy document (esure underwrite sheilas wheels). I've highlighted the relevant part.

Exceptions which apply to

sections 2, 3 and 4

What is not covered

Loss or damage caused by wear or tear or depreciation.

Any decrease in the market value of your car following repair covered by your policy.

Any part of a repair or replacement which improves your car beyond its condition before

the loss or damage occurred.

Any mechanical, electrical, electronic, computer or computer software breakdowns,

failures, faults or breakages.

Damage to tyres caused by braking, punctures, cuts or bursts.

Loss or damage to mobile or car telephones or other portable telecommunications,

audio, television, DVD, gaming, navigation or radar detection equipment, not

permanently fitted to your vehicle, or any of their parts.

Deliberate damage caused to your car by anyone insured under your policy.

Loss of use of your car or other indirect or consequential loss.

Loss or damage to any trailer, caravan or disabled motor vehicle, or their contents,

being towed by your car.

Loss or damage to your car if, at the time of the incident, it was being driven or used

without your permission by someone in your family or someone living with you. This

exception does not apply if the person driving is prosecuted for taking the car without

your permission.

As I see it, esure are entitled to claim the betterment from the OP as the policy document forms part of the contract (unless we want to get into the realms of UTCCR). As this is a non fault accident the betterment should form part of his uninsured loss claim which I accept it would be reasonable for him to include as he wouldn't otherwise have paid to repair the pre accident damage.

Like I said, I'm prepared to learn from this so if I can be told otherwise I will take it on board.

Couple of things here. firstly, the notion of indemnity si really an academic one, and rarely works in practice (new for old, excesses etc). If this bumper (without existing damage) was replaced with a new one then they have received betterment. They have a new bumper in place of one that is x years old. It happens a lot in practice.

The wording is there to avoid those claims that are made to try and get several sets of damage repaired under one claim - usually where repairs can be done. An example would be where there are two dents next to each other, one old and one new. The new dent can only be repaired by additional work (to the old one) or not at all. In that case, ther eis betterment in it's normal term. To fix the new dent the repairer would not have had to carry out the additional work where it not for the old one.

But in the OP's case the situation is different. The bumper had to be replaced anyway. The insurer is not suffering any loss from doing it. They are not having to repair the scratch AND replace the bumper.

in taht case, there is no betterment. I think a better definition would be an insurers detriment to the insured's benefit where that detriment would not have existed otherwise.

That's my point JC. The policyholder is initially (I assume) claiming under his own comprehensive policy for his own damage, therefore his own policy conditions apply at this stage. Esure will then look to recover their outlay from the TP insurers and the OP will recover his uninsured losses by whatever method he chooses.

Esure are not responsible for the preaccident damage to his car therefore the betterment is within the terms of the contract he has with them. It is up to the OP to then demonstrate to the TP insurers that he would not have had this outlay but for the negligence of their insured driver and then recover it that way.

I'm confused - sounds like we're all agreeing whilst still maintaining original viewpoints (not that I'm spoiling for a fight! :D ).

The TP would have to pay in this case because there is no betterment in replacing the bumper. It had to be replaced anyway. The OPs insurer cannot ask for contribution becaue they have not had to incur additional expense in the repair. As it is a legitimate cost, the TP cannot refuse to indemnify. Is that what we're all saying?

That's my point JC. The policyholder is initially (I assume) claiming under his own comprehensive policy for his own damage, therefore his own policy conditions apply at this stage. Esure will then look to recover their outlay from the TP insurers and the OP will recover his uninsured losses by whatever method he chooses.

Esure are not responsible for the preaccident damage to his car therefore the betterment is within the terms of the contract he has with them. It is up to the OP to then demonstrate to the TP insurers that he would not have had this outlay but for the negligence of their insured driver and then recover it that way.

Whilst I know that insurers will claim they can they are wrong except in the case where the OP is claiming on his own insurance for their own fault accident but NOT a non fault accident caused by a 3rd party

In the case of the latter the claimant can & should claim payment in full as will his own insurer from the 3rd party insurer if they are meeting the initial bill

An innocent party to an accident cannot be required to pay anything & anyway they might not have sufficient funds to meet the betterment costs. What would happen then because it does happen sometimes that policy holders cannot meet the extra costs of betterment - they do without until they can - I don't think so - an innocent driver being without what might be their only means of getting to work - sorry no way & any 3rd party insurer who tried that on would find their bill rocketing - not only in legal costs but also in supplying a hire car to the victim

An innocent party can be expected to be returned to their position pre accident without suffering any financial loss

I'm determined to get to understand this.

The OP is claiming initially under his own policy, therefore within the terms of the contract agreed with his insurers the betterment is payable at the time of the repair being completed. He should then go on to recover this from the TPI as he wouldn't have had the outlay but for the negligence of their insured driver.

I don't see how blame affects the terms and conditions of his own policy which clearly states that they will not improve on the pre accident condition of the vehicle.

NO! NO! NO! NO! Your wrong

It would be up to their insurer to reclaim any losses not him - as this is NOT an uninsured loss

Betterment only applies if the insured is claiming for damage that was their own fault - not anothers - after all their insurer can recover, in full, from the other 3rd party insurer

But if the OP is claiming under his own policy then it is the terms and conditions of that policy that apply and within those terms there is agreement to betterment where applicable.

Let's assume that esure for some reason are unable to recover their outlay. They have then paid to restore the car to better condition than pre accident which is outside the terms of the contract with the insured.

Betterment is by definition an uninsured loss.

What can I say. Even if they are paying out they can ONLY enforce their betterment term if the accident is the policy holders fault.

I don't care what the policy claims the innocent victim CANNOT be required to pay ANYTHING. It's a principal tenet of Common Law

But in agreeing to the policy conditions the policyholder accepts the betterment clause so regardless of blame it still applies.

If, for example this had been a hit whilst parked and no TP details left, the betterment clause would apply as there was pre accident damage that neither the insured or the insurer could recover. The policy clause doesn't include any statement about liability.

I'm sorry what don't you understand.

The innocent policyholder would only be liable if they are responsible for the accident & subsequent damage & obviously the insurance company has to have a 3rd party from which they can recover their payment in full - so hit & runs don't count though sometimes thay do

The OP owes absolutely no such obligation to the at fault 3rd party or their insurer. The OP can demand full payment from them & doesn't even have to go through their own insurer when doing so

However many do because the have fully comp & often it's quicker - but not always

What I don't understand JC is why you are so adamant that you are correct without being able to adequately support your opinion.

The OP is claiming, presumably for the sake of expediency, under his own policy. That policy has a betterment clause which the insurers are choosing to apply. The OP agreed to this clause when taking the policy and so it forms part of the contract between him and the insurers.

Liability is irrelevant to this part of the contract. esure are repairing his car under the terms of the agreement that they have with him. They may seek to recover their outlay from the TPI or settle as non fault under a knock for knock agreement but this doesn't alter the fact that the pre accident damage is uninsured under the terms of the policy.

The OP would need to demonstrate that he would not otherwise have paid to repair to the pre accident damage to recover the uninsured part of the claim.

In a previous post you stated that "an innocent party cannot be required to pay anything" (post 16 I believe) so next time I get my car damaged in a car park and have no TP details, based on this assertion I'm not required to pay my £300 excess because I'm the innocent party.

Please don't bother telling me that policy excess is different. It is still a condition of the policy and is enforceable. Perhaps you would like to go to the bodyshop with the OP, tell them he isn't paying the bill and see how long it takes for him to get his car back.