• Tweets

• and something for aurora watchers to err watch out for   4 solar flares simultaneously erupt from the sun in rare 'super' explosion — and Earth could be hit by the fallout | Live Science WWW.LIVESCIENCE.COM In the early hours of Tuesday (April 23), quadruple solar flares near-simultaneously exploded from across the sun's surface, and there's...  
    • No......CPR 31.14 does not technically apply to Small Claims Track anyway Reply to defence and defence to counterclaim 15.8  If a claimant files a reply to the defence— (a)the claimant must— (i)file the reply with a directions questionnaire; and (ii)serve the reply on the other parties at the same time as it is filed; and (b)the reply should form one document with any defence to counterclaim, with the defence to counterclaim following the reply, unless the dates on which they are due to be filed differ from one another.
    • Hi. I have been away on holiday I got back today to a letter "Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track" It says I have to complete Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) by 22nd April which I haven't done as I was away Suggestions, or is it too late? Thanks
    • So to clear up, you think you've paid this £1200 as part of the £4000, leaving a net overpayment of £2800 (which you don't want back?) Can you provide proof of payment (bank statements for the standing order) showing that you've paid this £4k over? Do you still have to pay for the child currently? In regards to your second query re: PiP it's only a press release right now, nothing has been confirmed. Just remember it's election year so there's no guarantee that the current or any future governments will follow through with it.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg credit card agreement terminated

toymaker1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had limited internet access for a couple of weeks but have just caught up on this thread with interest. I would like to add a few comments:-

1. There was an interesting thread about payments made by a customer where it was later realised that no agreement was in force. This may have some relevance to this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/175553-payments-made-under-mistake.html

2. If Egg are frustrating legal preparations by refusing to supply copies of the letters they sent out "ending" the agreements, perhaps the CPR 31.16 process in this thread could be used to force them to disclose:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/173201-why-you-shouldnt-use.html

Obviously in the original thread this was used to obtain copies of signed credit agreements, but the principle should be the same. Having said that, I think that Mistermind's point about Egg not keeping 161,000 identical copies on file is a potential problem and they may refuse to supply anything on that basis.

3. I see that Big Ed couldn't control his excitement any longer, and has finally mentioned the "E" word!

4. Are we saying that r_007 is some kind of mole? Perhaps he could be described as an "Egg plant"?!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had limited internet access for a couple of weeks but have just caught up on this thread with interest. I would like to add a few comments:-

1. There was an interesting thread about payments made by a customer where it was later realised that no agreement was in force. This may have some relevance to this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/175553-payments-made-under-mistake.html

2. If Egg are frustrating legal preparations by refusing to supply copies of the letters they sent out "ending" the agreements, perhaps the CPR 31.16 process in this thread could be used to force them to disclose:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/173201-why-you-shouldnt-use.html

Obviously in the original thread this was used to obtain copies of signed credit agreements, but the principle should be the same. Having said that, I think that Mistermind's point about Egg not keeping 161,000 identical copies on file is a potential problem and they may refuse to supply anything on that basis.

3. I see that Big Ed couldn't control his excitement any longer, and has finally mentioned the "E" word!

4. Are we saying that r_007 is some kind of mole? Perhaps he could be described as an "Egg plant"?!

I mention the "E" word because this is a serious situation.

Now, I think that it is right and decent to repay what you borrow.

It is also important to conduct business in a lawful, decent, and reasonable manner.

This is one of the reasons that it is important that Egg are taken through the courts with this one.

On a separate point; individual employees should be made accountable as well as the business as a legal entity: from the top, right the way down. This shocking behaviour by the financial sector must be stamped out, and that is often achieved by hitting the weak points first.

Having said that, I think that Mistermind's point about Egg not keeping 161,000 identical copies on file is a potential problem and they may refuse to supply anything on that basis.

You are correct in saying that CPR 31.16 could be used to make Egg disclose the termination letter they sent.

But I think that you and mistermind are making things unneccesarily complicated.

If you think about it, if Egg refused to disclose the termination letter, Egg would not have anything on which to base their claim for money owed by the debtor since the time when the agreement was terminated by Egg.

Also, If Egg refused to disclose the termination letter, Egg would start to get into a terrible legal mess. i.e. Oh, what a tangled web we weave, etc etc.

The bottom line, which would come out in any legal proceedings, is that Egg would be seen to have illegally terminated credit card agreements.

Regards

Some will vehemently disagree, but credit card T&Cs look to me to have 2 distinct components:

(1) A variable option to lend or to borrow.

(2) A fixed obligation to repay the outstanding balance

terminating which of the TWO parts of the agreement? It's up to the judge.

It seems to me that it is irrelevant how many parts or components there are to a credit card agreement between Egg and a credit card holder.

In the case under discussion, Egg purported to terminate "the" agreement i.e. the whole agreement, inclusive of all it's parts of components, however many parts or components the agreement might consist of.

Under CCA 1974 Egg cannot do that when the agreement is not in default.

Regards

The bottom line, which would come out in any legal proceedings, is that Egg would be seen to have illegally terminated credit card agreements.

Regards

The more you read into it, the simpler it really becomes! Egg have ended the agreement whilst not in default, not 'illegally', therefore there is no longer any contract and nothing further is owed! I'm going to write my letter now stating that due to an administrative error I have payed sums monthly since the agreement has ended and will start recovery of them! Ftd

The more you read into it, the simpler it really becomes! Egg have ended the agreement whilst not in default, not 'illegally', therefore there is no longer any contract and nothing further is owed! I'm going to write my letter now stating that due to an administrative error I have payed sums monthly since the agreement has ended and will start recovery of them! Ftd

I suspect you will get a combination of waffle, threats, more waffle, further threats, culminating in them ignoring you.

Only meaningful way is to take court action, and they know that.

Just an observation, if as r 007 ( and egg ;)) say the creditor is able to terminate the agreement without a default notice then whats the pont of a default notice.

If you did not pay they could just terminate and take you to court on the basis you were behind with your payments, the default notice is there to protect consumers from having their account terminated without the creditor giving them the opportunity to resolve it. Egg gave me no choice.

Its simple, if you terminate without a default notice you are in breach, and many people on here have won in court against creditors on this basis.

I suspect you will get a combination of waffle, threats, more waffle, further threats, culminating in them ignoring you.

Only meaningful way is to take court action, and they know that.

This is exactly the point I am at :(

Just another thought here (and I do hope someone can shoot me down in flames):

I once "won" a fight in a small claims court against an Estate Agent (spits!) to prove we had no viable contract.

I was elated until the judge recommended that in the case of 'no contract', both parties are due legitimate expenses for the actual work they had done and the expenses incurred in carrying out the work.

Cost me nearly as much as the original fees !!:x

Do you see where I am coming from??

Just another thought here (and I do hope someone can shoot me down in flames):

I once "won" a fight in a small claims court against an Estate Agent (spits!) to prove we had no viable contract.

I was elated until the judge recommended that in the case of 'no contract', both parties are due legitimate expenses for the actual work they had done and the expenses incurred in carrying out the work.

Cost me nearly as much as the original fees !!:x

Do you see where I am coming from??

It is a very different situation.

The situation with Egg is that a contract - agreed by both parties - existed.

Then one of the parties (Egg Plc) decided to end the contract.

So the contract ceased, and so should all actions pertaining to that terminated contract. To request - and collect - payment where no credit agreement is in place is not a very clever thing to do.

We're certain that we are going to take them on over this contract issue now. A reply received from Egg yesterday has shown us that they know that they have made a huge error.

Anyone who has had correspondence with Egg over this matter will have noticed how desperately they are trying to back-peddle on this one and move the goal posts.

In our opinion, for people who have received this letter, you should vigorously challenge them over this.

It was their choice to end the agreement. So if there were outstanding balances to pay after the termination date, we can only assume that they did not want to pursue this. Otherwise the letter would have stated "we are changing your account to a repayment only account as per our terms and conditions".

Very simple to do: but they didn't.

Rambling a bit, but they are well and truly knackered with this one.

If everyone follows it up.

And I hope everyone does.

I've lost my copy of the termination letter :-(

TheKat1979 - Taking Control!

Taking on -

Barclaycard via HFO - daft application form sent

Barclays Current Account - at AQ stage - fingers crossed asked for Hardship

Egg - various issues! Are about to default me on a disputed debt!

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

LOL I'd like a copy of the one that was originally sent out not the one they are insisting is right now lol

Taking on -

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

LOL I'd like a copy of the one that was originally sent out not the one they are insisting is right now lol

Have you asked them for a copy?

If so, what did they provide - if anything - and in what format?

I have and they've provided nothing as they are unable to reissue one.

Well, I can tell you that they can or at least they were able to a few weeks ago.

When did you request?

How hard did you push?

Have you tried SAR?

This "inability", or unwillingness to provide a copy when it has been lost, discarded, or even pretend lost ;) ; with all the incredible excuses that they provide, is one of the many actions that shows us they know that they have burgered-up big time.

They are hoping that no-one follows it through.

However, one thing that is certain is that it will be followed all the way.

r_007 has provided us with one of the most useful bits of information so far.

Cheers mate :)

So will I:D

Its my wifes account , but I just love doing this stuff !

I will, of course, post anything they send to be used in our fight against these bankers.

Excellent, let's hope we do it before they go bust.

I've Subject Access Requested them for anything to do with transactions and my banking history with them. Had to apply for a court order, and they didn't acknowledge service, so asked for a default judgement. A day later I receive copy statements from them but absolutely nothing else whatsoever. I know there should be more, they had to change my account number at one point because my new card went missing in the post, surely that at the very least should mean there is more to my account than just statements. I did a fairly basic SAR, as I said, just asking for information relating to my banking hsitory with them, no specific documents requested. Bit too late to change that now. I may RE-issue my SAR and state specific documents once this is all cleared up.

Taking on -

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks