• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg credit card agreement terminated

toymaker1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your letter in which you advise me that you may take legal proceedings

Please be advised that i may defend and counterclaim as EGG illegally terminated the contract in 2008.

yours sincereley

Or should it be will defend?

Edited by phatram

Thank you for your letter in which you advise me that you may take legal proceedings

Please be advised that i may defend and counterclaim as EGG illegally terminated the contract in 2008.

yours sincereley

Or should it be will defend?

the whole point was that we MAY take proceedings is a load of B*llsh*t

all you are doing is showing them that you know it is B*shi*t and that you can B*llsh*t as well as the next guy

they May, you May

they Will you will

i would change illegal to unlawful

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have an egg credit which was terminated in march 08, continued to make minimum payments,then last november minimum payments were increased from 140 to 286 per month, I did query at the time was told to pay balance back quicker so I carried on paying until april09, when I was unable to afford the repayments, I sent them a full & final settlement letter which was refused, I have not made a payment since, have been issued with a default notice on 4th August09 which I need to pay by 1st september09.

Now my question is can I go back to them and state that the default notice is unlawful as the agreement was terminated by them in march 08?

would be appreciate an urgent response as I'm getting deperate.

confused

Hi

I have an egg credit which was terminated in march 08, continued to make minimum payments,then last november minimum payments were increased from 140 to 286 per month, I did query at the time was told to pay balance back quicker so I carried on paying until april09, when I was unable to afford the repayments, I sent them a full & final settlement letter which was refused, I have not made a payment since, have been issued with a default notice on 4th August09 which I need to pay by 1st september09.

Now my question is can I go back to them and state that the default notice is unlawful as the agreement was terminated by them in march 08?

confused

Could you clarify the circumstances in which Egg terminated your agreement in March 08.

For example, did Egg terminate your agreement in March 08 when it was not in default ? Was your account in arrears in March 08?

regards

Originally Posted by CONFUSED45 viewpost.gif

Hi

confused

originally posted by toymaker1

Could you clarify the circumstances in which Egg terminated your agreement in March 08.

For example, did Egg terminate your agreement in March 08 when it was not in default ? Was your account in arrears in March 08?

I was one of the 161k who had their agreements terminated hadn't defaulted, as always paid by dd, had the interest rate increased prior to termination. I carried on dd's until may09, when I was no longer able to keep up the repayments,due to illness. I sent a full and final settlement offer in april09 which was declined, so I have revoked that offer so they can't come back at a later date and accept.

I'm in a pickle as what todo next, would really appreciate your views.

regards unquote

confused45

Edited by CONFUSED45
inserting details

Originally Posted by CONFUSED45 viewpost.gif

Hi

confused

originally posted by toymaker1

I was one of the 161k who had their agreements terminated hadn't defaulted, as always paid by dd, had the interest rate increased prior to termination. I carried on dd's until may09, when I was no longer able to keep up the repayments,due to illness. I sent a full and final settlement offer in april09 which was declined, so I have revoked that offer so they can't come back at a later date and accept.

I'm in a pickle as what todo next, would really appreciate your views.

regards unquote

confused45

Hi

I was in exactly the same situation as you. After some quick research I discovered that Egg could not terminate my agreement if I was not defaulted, so I stopped my £300 a month d/d inMarch 08. I have not paid them a penny since. My last letter was from Trevor Munn solicitors in January 2009. Nothing since.

I note you got an email. My advice is dont reply to Egg via email. Keep everything in writing only. - no emails no phone calls.

I also note that Egg have threatened to default you. You could ask them how they can issue a default on an account which they have terminated. If you are still getting letters from Egg, the matter is still in the early stages. Egg will eventually pass it on to a debt company. Dont panic, and take things one step at a time. Every thing I suggest is what I have done myself.

You could send them a letter something like this:

Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for your email communication dated xxxxx.

I am very concerned that Egg has chosen not to provide a response to the points raised by me in my letter xxxx dated xxxxxxxx.

As Egg will be aware, I requested Egg to indicate to me the relevant section of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which provides Egg with entitlement to terminate my Egg credit card agreement by giving me written notice.

I consider that my request for that information is very clearly understandable and is directly related to Egg's decision to terminate it’s contractual agreement with me with effect from 6 March 2008. In light of that I consider that Egg should have no difficulty in providing me with the information outlined above, and as requested by me in my letter dated xxxx. I will then be in a position to provide a full response to the points raised by Monument in it’s letter dated xxxx , and also to the further points raised by Egg in it’s letter dated xxxx.

Until this matter is resolved I consider my Egg credit card agreement to be in a condition of dispute. In light of that I have, as Egg will be aware,suspended payments into my Egg account until such time as the dispute between Egg and myself is resolved.

I look forward to your very urgent response, in order that the dispute between Monument and myself can be resolved as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

Best of luck.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for coming back to me, will post your letter tomorrow, I have already received a default notice from egg dated 4th august action required by 1st september 09.

had email on 15th august09 in response to my letter, "we have the right to terminate your agreement at any time and your account was made a repayment only facility if you stop payments to your account your account will default and potential effect to your credit file"

I will keep you updated, good luck and hopefully the consumer will win over these bullies who think they are above the law!

thankyou

confused45

Hi Peter

Thanks for coming back to me, will post your letter tomorrow, I have already received a default notice from egg dated 4th august action required by 1st september 09.

had email on 15th august09 in response to my letter, "we have the right to terminate your agreement at any time and your account was made a repayment only facility if you stop payments to your account your account will default and potential effect to your credit file"

I will keep you updated, good luck and hopefully the consumer will win over these bullies who think they are above the law!

thankyou

confused45

Dont be tempted to reply by email. Letters only.

At a later date, you could ask Egg to indicate to you which part of CCA 1974 provides entitlement to Egg to make your credit card agreement into a repayment only facility. But keep that up your sleeve for possible future use.. It's best to keep to only one strong point in each letter.

The things they have told you are complete tosh (thats a legal term!).

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes wonder who is more confused, me or Egg. :|

They 'ended' my agreement in Jan '08, defaulted me in June 09 and 'terminated' me in July 09 !!! :oops:

And they still want me to pay them ?? Priceless !! :razz:

Should I be answering this and if yes what should I send?

You could try an edited version of this:

Dear Whoever

Account ref No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx– In Dispute

I am in receipt of your letter dated [date]which I find to be unnecessarily threatening to the point of harassment.

As you know I dispute this alleged account and do not acknowledge any debt to your company as thus far you have produced to me no document that can be determined to be a credit agreement let alone a properly executed one. In respect of that I would advise you that I am prepared to travel to your offices if necessary to inspect any such document as you may be required to produce in a court to substantiate your claim. Alternatively you could supply to me a copy of a fully compliant credit agreement that bears my signature. This is a perfectly reasonable request under the CPR.

In the meantime, I know of no legitimate cause of action in English law that confers a liability to pay sums of money based simply on account of "requests for payment" (whether repeated or not). Consequently until such time as you produce to me a properly executed credit agreement for this account my position remains the same that I am not liable to make further payments to your company.

You are of course free to take such action as you think fit, be this a court action to decide the rights of the parties to this dispute where you will be held to strict proof of your claim, or to supply me with the documentation asked for above when I would be glad to enter into meaningful correspondence regarding a realistic affordable figure as a full and final settlement offered WITHOUT PREJUDICE OR LIABILITY SAVE AS TO COSTS in the interests of all parties concerned.

Regards

Thanks Basa.

I'm not questioning the agreement, I'm one of the 160,000 who had the account terminated unlawfully when not in default.

You could send something like this:

Dear xxxxxxxx

Re: Termination by Egg of my Egg Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxxxxx

I would be grateful if, as Egg’s appointed agent, you would indicate to me the relevant section of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which provides Egg with legal entitlement to terminate my Egg credit agreement with effect from 6th March 2008 merely by providing me with written notification of Egg's decision to terminate the contractual agreement between Egg and myself.

In the event that the dispute between Moorcroft Debt recovery, midaslegalservices, Egg Banking and myself is put before a court for adjudication, I will draw the court’s attention to the following points.

Both you and your clients, Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited and Egg Banking, although fully aware that the debt is disputed, have continued collection activity in breach of paragraph 2.8k. of the OFT Debt Collection Guidance.

I consider that you have communicated with me in a manner which presents information in such a way that it creates a false or misleading impression and exploits my lack of knowledge, for example my lack of knowledge of the law in relation to your own. Specifically, I am referring to your statement that failure to contact Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd by a specific date may result in the issue of legal proceedings without further notice. I consider that amounts to unfair business practice, psychological harrassment and misrepresentation of the correct legal position within the terms of paragraphs 2.2b, 2.3, 2.6f, 2.10a and 2.10b of the OFT Debt collection Guidance.

I consider that the manner in which you and your client have exercised their rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 amount to an unfair relationship within the terms of S140 of the Act, and I will request the court to make an appropriate Order under S140.

I will also draw the court’s attention to the manner in which midaslegalservices has acted in connection with the dispute between Moorcroft Debt recovery Limited, midaslegalservices, Egg Banking solicitors and myself, particularly in relation to,

The Consumer Credit Act 1974,

The Data Protection Act 1998,

The Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Debt Collection and Unfair Business Practices (Updated December 2006),

The Solicitors’ Code of Conduct 2007,

The pre-action protocols which have been approved by the Head of Civil Justice,

The Credit Services Association Code Of Practice.

I am confident that midaslegalservices will, as I will, provide to the court full records of the matters to which I have referred, including copies of all correspondence relating to this dispute.

Yours faithfully

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Don't know what's happened since the last post on this thread but had my card canelled by Egg last year under similar circumstances, not in default, etc.

Like others my interest rate jumped in November 2007 and then the card was cancelled in March 2008.

One of the things that I've been trying to find out is 'when was the accounts due for termination/cancellation decided'.

If it was before November 2007 then did they have a right to increase the interest rates, notwithstanding that they knew the card facility was being withdrawn?

Anyone have any info about this or am I barking up the wrong Egg Plant...

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)

Not much happened with me - I ended up just paying up the card and forgetting about it! I did argue the case with them but I was getting nowhere with so just paid it up. Felt as if there was a little bit of momentum lost in this, and didn't know where to take it so just left it.

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

I think anyone who has paid their debt off has acted admirably.

However, I don't think the banks behavoiur has been admirable at all in the way they have treated people with regard to terminating accounts and sharing data.

Many cannot afford to pay the debt and are harassed by third party debt collection agencies sometimes to the point of SUICIDE.

Toymakers approach and letters are EXCELLENT.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks