Complaining to the Financial Ombudsman Service

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4686 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

waste of space the FOS beleive me ive been writing and sending documents that they keep losing and changing personel,,my complaint goes way back to 2006 and after sending 83 pages ime still waiting ?

That's unbelieveable!!

I think we still need to push forwards!

The alternative is to write a "bemused" letter to each DCA... which could go on forever?

Still complain and let them be charged £450!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people will be aware that I haven't posted on the site for about ten months. I can't explain why at the moment, nor can I comment about my FOS complaint. I hope to be able to do so very soon.

In the meantime please, please do keep complaining to them, but don't hold your breath waiting for a response or expect a positive response, at least not before the London Olympics! The only purpose of complaints to the FOS at the moment is

a) To keep the numbers up

b) To cost banks/DCAs the investigation fee.

Many thanks to everyone who sent enquiries about my health etc, and apologies for not replying. Hopefully all will become clear this week.

RMW

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Just recently I have had two complaints against DCA's settled via the FOS. Both went in my wife's favour and she was awarded money for the distress and inconvenience caused by both the DCA's, namely 1st Credit and Booker Management Services Limited.

Overall I am happy with the service and would use them again.

Spark

Edited by spark1

42man

About 2.5 years ago, 1st Credit sent her letters using the Barclaycard Logo paper along with their own letters asking her for unpaid debts. The debts were not hers, but they carried on using solicitors, connaughts and other collectors etc.

Connaughts sent SDs, you know the usual stuff you read on here. I complained to the FOS and they contacted 1st Credit, but 1st Credit still carried on.

It was a long draw out process, but worth it in the end, because they may think twice before they start on another innocent person.

If you look on the FOS site, they have now drawn up requirements for DCA's to follow in relation to debt collectiing.

Also the complaints were only filed with the FOS about a year ago.

Spark1

Some people will be aware that I haven't posted on the site for about ten months. I can't explain why at the moment, nor can I comment about my FOS complaint. I hope to be able to do so very soon.

In case anyone from the Bank is still reading (explains point one) the estate agent is coming round tomorrow to take his photos, so if you want a charging order, you'd better move quick as I'll be renting after the sale goes through. Don't let the outstanding FOS complaint stop you, just like it hasn't stopped you doing anything else.

No doubt you have been copied the latest missive from the entirely biased adjudicator, but don't get your hopes up as I will not be giving up. If it costs me every penny of the equity, I will take this just as far as I can.

On a more serious note, can anyone outline the procedure for judicial review which is apparently the only way to appeal an FOS decision.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Nice to have you back, RMW. Hope you are well :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A point to bear in mind:

The FOS state that if one does not agree with his decision, one is free to take the matter to Court.

Factually, this is incorrect if ones case is complex and involves a large amount of law.

The General Consumer, is not able to fund litigation in complex cases;

going to trial in such could cost in excess of £20,000!

Furthermore, it is nigh on impossible to obtain legal aid funding.

Therefore, the FOS are letting down the General Consumer;

the FOS are fully aware of these sometimes insurmountable hurdles.

However, they contue in their own procedural fashion, leaving many who have valid cases, left in limbo.

Hardly fair nor reasonable, is it?

I've been reading up on Judicial Reviews all day (apart from when the estate agent was here - apparently he has a queue of people wanting to buy in this road so I could be moved by Christmas) and it sounds complicated and expensive as loser pays all costs. How many of the general public could afford to risk having to pay costs not just for themselves but also the FOS and any other interested party - e.g. the Bank involved?

Add to that the cost of getting to the hearing unless you live in one of the five cities where the Administrative Court sits - I don't, nearest is London @ 200 miles - and the abundantly obvious fact from what I've read so far that you can't do it yourself and will need not just a solicitor but also a barrister.

If someone had set out to design a system to deter anyone from challenging this sort of decision, they couldn't have come up with anything much better.

RMW

A point to bear in mind:

The FOS state that if one does not agree with his decision, one is free to take the matter to Court.

Factually, this is incorrect if ones case is complex and involves a large amount of law.

The General Consumer, is not able to fund litigation in complex cases;

going to trial in such could cost in excess of £20,000!

Furthermore, it is nigh on impossible to obtain legal aid funding.

Therefore, the FOS are letting down the General Consumer;

the FOS are fully aware of these sometimes insurmountable hurdles.

However, they contue in their own procedural fashion, leaving many who have valid cases, left in limbo.

Hardly fair nor reasonable, is it?

ARE MOST OF THEIR STAFF SELF EMPLOYED ?

I've been reading up on Judicial Reviews all day (apart from when the estate agent was here - apparently he has a queue of people wanting to buy in this road so I could be moved by Christmas) and it sounds complicated and expensive as loser pays all costs. How many of the general public could afford to risk having to pay costs not just for themselves but also the FOS and any other interested party - e.g. the Bank involved?

Add to that the cost of getting to the hearing unless you live in one of the five cities where the Administrative Court sits - I don't, nearest is London @ 200 miles - and the abundantly obvious fact from what I've read so far that you can't do it yourself and will need not just a solicitor but also a barrister.

If someone had set out to design a system to deter anyone from challenging this sort of decision, they couldn't have come up with anything much better.

Perhaps your MP could help and saying that what about a letter to MP JOHN MC FALL after all he is commitee chairman of the finance and banking sector this sector he is highly critical of them and i beleive he is sympathetic to us the votors and may help ?

Perhaps your MP could help and saying that what about a letter to MP JOHN MC FALL after all he is commitee chairman of the finance and banking sector this sector he is highly critical of them and i beleive he is sympathetic to us the votors and may help ?

I know my MP will not help. He belongs to the 'debtors are criminals' school of thought.

RMW

• 3 weeks later...

Current position

1. Complaint about the FOS on hold whilst they fast-track the complaint to the FOS. They apparently can't do both at once.

2. The best I can hope for from the adjudicator is the complaint will be upheld against Blair & co, but will not include harassment, discrimination or any complaint against BOS in general, therefore to go further I would have to go to an Ombudsman which could take another 6 months with no guarantee they would come to any different conclusion. Excluding BOS from the complaint is actually an easy way out for them.

Is there any reason why I can't take any and all action short of actually issuing proceedings whilst still allowing the FOS complaint to proceed? I want to keep my options open until the last possible minute because whilst that complaint is still undecided the bank cannot issue against me - or they could and risk a less than impressed judge.

Apart from preventing the bank doing anything other than send more nastygrams, there is always a possibility that the FOS will see sense (did anyone else see that flying pig?) and save me the hassle of going legal until I'm ready to do it, so I don't want to withdraw the complaint yet.

Having just read through this, why am I complaining about the FOS being so slow. I'm now really good at ignoring the threatograms, so if the bank can't realistically do anything else, the longer they take the closer we get to statute-barred. At the rate the FOS have moved so far, it'll be so far past statute barred that not even Lowells would have a go.

RMW

Having just read through this, why am I complaining about the FOS being so slow. I'm now really good at ignoring the threatograms, so if the bank can't realistically do anything else, the longer they take the closer we get to statute-barred. At the rate the FOS have moved so far, it'll be so far past statute barred that not even Lowells would have a go.

i was thinking about the statute barred this cannot happen if the bank have passed this data to another company the other company would just issue a default against you rendering the statute barred obsolete,i have just instructed eperian for this that i inted taking action against them because hfo have issued a default against me whilst i am in dispute with ,organ stanley...if it werent for hfo my case would be statute barred

patrickq1

so like you rmw i am considering to take morgan stanley to court to force this issue i want answers from them about charging double ppi and they will not pass the data to me they have also lied to the fso concerning the double ppi yet i have it in black and white on my statements ?/

Lowells have apparently 'bought' one BOS account. They have put the account in their name on my CRA file. I'm not complaining. They can issue as many defaults as they like, it still won't get them a response from me or any money.

Since there is an outstanding complaint with the FOS if they issue proceedings they will have egg on their faces - the courts don't like people trying to circumvent alternative dispute resolution services, which is what the FOS is. In fact, I'd like Lowells to issue so I can claim wasted costs from them as well as make them look entirely stupid.

I don't see how issuing a default could make an account not statute barred? If the 6 years has passed then can pay themselves for all the difference it would make.

RMW

Perhaps I've got this wrong, but I thought the Statute barred clock could only be restarted by the debtor by acknowledging the debt in writing or by making a payment. If the creditor can restart the clock then nothing would ever get statute barred!

Edited by exchange
typo