style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been paying off Council Tax Arrears for several years at a rate of £60/month. In total i have paid about £3060. The council have never chased me for more payments - not sure if that is because they dont know where I am (I have moved a few times) or if they are happy with the rate of payments. In any case I couldnt really afford too much more.

The bills are for between March 2000 and May 2004. I never claimed the discount for living alone as I never communicated with the council. The problem i have now is that the council will think the total i owe is around £4600 plus about £350 in fees and I think its around £3500 with about £350 in fees. The lower figure is incuding the 75% discount for living alone. I also sold the flat Jan 04 an moved away.

I want to get rid of this debt asap but am worried that if i make contact with the council they will insist that i pay back the £4600 amount as i remember the forms stating that if you dont pay your council taxt you may not get the discounts.

Since Jan 04 I have never missed a council tax payment and have even moved back to the area i originally lived in - have been here for about year without any missed payments and i have no intention of missing any in the future.

Anyone got anyadvice????

PS Not sure it makes any difference but the debt in question is with a council in Scotland

Hi Luther.

I just wondered if it's worth contacting an advisory service first such as Citizens Advice?

See what thoughts others have ;)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.