style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4128 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have been paying off Council Tax Arrears for several years at a rate of £60/month. In total i have paid about £3060. The council have never chased me for more payments - not sure if that is because they dont know where I am (I have moved a few times) or if they are happy with the rate of payments. In any case I couldnt really afford too much more.

The bills are for between March 2000 and May 2004. I never claimed the discount for living alone as I never communicated with the council. The problem i have now is that the council will think the total i owe is around £4600 plus about £350 in fees and I think its around £3500 with about £350 in fees. The lower figure is incuding the 75% discount for living alone. I also sold the flat Jan 04 an moved away.

I want to get rid of this debt asap but am worried that if i make contact with the council they will insist that i pay back the £4600 amount as i remember the forms stating that if you dont pay your council taxt you may not get the discounts.

Since Jan 04 I have never missed a council tax payment and have even moved back to the area i originally lived in - have been here for about year without any missed payments and i have no intention of missing any in the future.

Anyone got anyadvice????

PS Not sure it makes any difference but the debt in question is with a council in Scotland

Hi Luther.

I just wondered if it's worth contacting an advisory service first such as Citizens Advice?

See what thoughts others have ;)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.