'let Go' From Job No Notice Given

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I began a part time job in Dec 2007, I later realised that the company was in financial difficulties. Yesterday I was told that they were 'letting me go' and the person that called me into the office made various remarks about part timers and the fact that I leave at 5PM. I get paid untill 5 and have a school age child for whom I have sole responsibility.

my contract says that 1 months notice is required either way so my question is this -Are my employers in breach of contarct and can I claim a months pay in leiu of notice? They also owe me 3 1/2 days holiday pay.

I have tried to get through to ACAS but the line is always engaged.

I have looked on the site for a template letter but can't find one.

I would be really greatful if anyone can pointme in the right direction

Thank you

Are you the only person being 'let go' or are others being made redundant? Have the company cited redundancy or 'financial' reasons for dismissing you?

There are important aspects to consider which may well be relevant in addition to the lack of notice (which you certainly have a case for). If you are being made redundant by a back door route, then the company are almost certainly in breach of the law regarding equal treatment of part time workers. Additionally there may be an element of discrimination from what you have said (I am assuming that those commenting on the part time status and the need to leave early are of the opposite sex?).

You will certainly be entitled to pay for outstanding holiday, and providing that there is no qualifying clause against the month's notice to be paid for that as well. You would also be in order to appeal the dismissal. Subject to clarification on the issue of discrimination we can certainly help with a letter - I do not believe that the site has a suitable template for this.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you for your quick reply, I felt as though I was sacked as her words were I am having to let you go the remarks about my part time hours etc, I started there on 11th Dec 2007 and know that I have no rights re redundancy . I asked her "From when I being let go?" and she said from now, her parting words were don't forget to hand your car park and security pass.

Yes I am female, as my contract says a months notice must be given either way I feel that I may have a case for breach of contarct and at least a months pay. I know that because of the short time that I was there I am may not have any rights re tribunals but is n't it still breach of contract?

My contract says that I will be reviewed 3 months from my starting date (ie 11th March 2008) however this did n't happen I was just called into her office yesterday 10 minutes before finishing time and told I was going, any help would be much appreciated thanks

As sidewinder says, it certainly seems like breach of contract and that case you are entitled to a month's pay.

You may have tribunal rights if you can show that you have been sacked for a reason that amounts to discrimination. However is very difficult to prove and you would need some form of evidence,

You should have the right to appeal against your dismissal - so it is probably worth doing that. That should get them to make a response in writing and there may be something in that that you can use