Bailiff's returning today but person no longer lives here

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I received a note through the door yesterday afternoon titled "Notice of Bailiff Having Visited". I was in but they didn't ring or knock!! The notice is addressed to my son who moved out on January 8th. I have no idea where he is as we have had a falling out. The money is owed due to outstanding parking fines. All correspondence addressed to my son has been returned to sender with "No longer at this address" written on it since he went.

My worry is that they'll try and take something belonging to me. Obviously I'm not going to let them in but I'm concerned that they'll clamp my car on the drive and then the onus will be on me to prove it's my car and not my sons. Can they do this even though it's not the car which accrued the parking fines but happens to be at the address they have?

I'm assuming they won't take my word that my son no longer lives here? I obviously can't let them in to prove there's only me here. In the mean time I've 'hidden' my car just in case. Any words of advice would be welcome.

Are you the sole person listed on the Council Tax bill? If so, showing them that should convince them that he's no longer at that address.

I am. I claimed my 25% discount for single occupier shortly after my son left. I have last years bill showing no discount and this years bill (dated 04 March 08) showing 25% discount. If I show them these, do you think this will get them off my back?

OK, thanks for your help. I have scanned and printed both bills and will show them to the bailiff when he turns up. I will also advise him that I am sending them to his office as proof of single occupancy and that I will view any further visits by his company as harassment.

Nice thinking there, The Watcher

:D

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Update:

The bailiff duly arrived. He was a very pleasant chap in his mid fifties. He accepted that I lived here alone and said he would not be back. However, he said that as the car was registered to this address, they could well be asked to come back next week??? He seemed to think that all the time the car is registered here, this will not go away unless it's paid. At least he didn't charge for todays visit!!