Dvla-seizure Ruling

lowermbowem
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5847 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello guys, i am new to this forum. :)

I would just like to ask for anyones advice if they know about what im gonna put below or has had it happen to them.

Back in december 2007, i was physically assualted. I got smacked in the face, and knocked my head on the curb. Got my face stitched up, and went home from hospital. A week later i was out shopping with my sister and her boyfriend, i collapsed on the floor of the shopping place and was told when i woke up in hopsital i had had a seizure from the head injury the week before. The hospital, dis-charged me next day and as soon as i got home i had one more seizure, again back to another hospital. I then was diagnosed with having a subdural haemotma, and was told i couldnt drive for 12 months.

Now i am fully recovered and have been free of fits for nearly 3 1/2 months, i rang the DVLA to ask about the set rules, the 1st gentlemen i spoke to said i could drive again before the 12 months as long as i am declared fit by the doctor.

Another woman i spoke to a week later, said i have to wait the full 12 months. But on their website, if you view the "At A Glance Guide" to medical rules, everything contradicts itself, i have attached the relevant wording about my self below.

All i am asking is if anyone could suggest somewhere else i could seek for advice, or has had similar problems or knows if i have to wait the full 12 months (even though i have been diagnosed with epilepsy) or till the doctor says i am fit again??

Thanks, Laurence.

aavgea3.png

aavgea3.th.png

Sorry to hear you've had a tough time - this is a very tricky situation.

Are you taking anti-seizure medication?

It may be worth asking your consultant to assess the risk of further seizures and write to the DVLA medical bods. I'm not sure if you can request a DVLA medical direct from them.

I suspect the difficulty will be that although your seizures were related to a head injury, it is possible that you will have further seizures whilst your brain recovers. Some folk do develop epilepsy post trauma. The obvious risk being that if you are allowed to drive and have another seizure it could cause a road accident.

Your consultant is best placed to advise as he knows your exact situation - you could ring his secretary for an appointment or write to him.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Sorry to hear you've had a tough time - this is a very tricky situation.

Are you taking anti-seizure medication?

It may be worth asking your consultant to assess the risk of further seizures and write to the DVLA medical bods. I'm not sure if you can request a DVLA medical direct from them.

I suspect the difficulty will be that although your seizures were related to a head injury, it is possible that you will have further seizures whilst your brain recovers. Some folk do develop epilepsy post trauma. The obvious risk being that if you are allowed to drive and have another seizure it could cause a road accident.

Your consultant is best placed to advise as he knows your exact situation - you could ring his secretary for an appointment or write to him.

Thanks very much poppynurse, saddest thing is i have now phoned my consultant 4 times and waited nearly a month for a reply. He might as not exsist to me. I understand about what you are saying about having a seizure at the wheel.

But atm touch wood, i am healing fine and had no signs of a seizure since. It's just everyway i try and go about it, no one seems to help me. I might aswell be ringing a fish when it comes to my doctor. :(

Laurence.

Thanks guys, i spoke to my GP today and he has written to them for advice on what to do, so now it is just a waiting game. I will try that route stardust john, if you dont mind me asking do you drive? As i know i can drive on the medication i am on.

Thanks, Laurence.

No I dont drive. I never have though apart from two lessons and a few months with a moped. I then lived near railway station and commuted so no need to learn, though when diagnosed told probably would be best not to drive. Had a few funny experiences as I look back waking all over place, scotland etc:lol: on the intercity as very sleepy after night shift and meds.

• 3 weeks later...

Just another quick question, once i resume driving again, do i have to inform my insurance company about my head injury?As when you purchase insurance on-line there are no medical history questions etc?Laurence.

Insurance premiums are all down to risk, if the underwriter thinks that you are a greater risk because of previous/present medical conditions then yes they may well charge an increased premium. Best advice is shop around, but make sure you inform them of everything at the outset.