• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Without Prejudice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have seen several references in this forum stating outright that any communication marked as "without prejudice" are automatically excluded from any court proceedings.

I have done a little research, and I have found this is not always the case.

A letter can be "without prejudice" even if not marked as such and a letter

can be marked "without prejudice" and not have that protection.

In other words, a letter marked as such, must be a 'genuine attempt at settlement'. If it is not, then regardless of how it is marked, it could still be entered as evidence.

I'm not recommending anyone tries producing a letter marked as such - you would need to be absoultely certain about what you were doing! You could end up having the judge having to resign themselves from the case and maybe getting costs awarded against you.

I see also, that after judgment, a letter marked as 'Without Prejudice' can be admitted as evidence for the purpose of arguing costs.

From what I have read, it would appear you cannot just hide behind a letter marked as such. It is critical that the content is appropriate.

I'd be interested to hear any other persons thoughts on this.

FP

Thats my understanding of it. Fighting a case at the moment with someone who tries to hide libellous accusations behind those two little words. Have presented some of these letters that weren't a genuine attempt at a settlement to the court.

Will let you know how I get on (court date not until October though :()

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Could you show in Court a "without prejudice" letter from a bank, or solicitor acting for the bank, that has been sent to a CAG member for example, where the case

had no connection with the member it was addressed to [obviously would have

their permission to use].

The letter may be to help prove a point in the second case especially if the same

solicitors or bank were involved in both cases..

• 2 weeks later...
What would happen if you told the court about a settlement letter sent to you marked without prejudice - (a 50% offer from Abbey following their defence being filed)

Would it jepordise your claim in any way ?

Yes! You cannot disclose any offer of settlement (Part 36 offer) & it will expire after 21 days unless otherwise stated or agreed

Thanks Joncris

How would it affect your claim ? any ideas ?

I think the courts give individual litigants in small claims a certain amount of leeway for errors like this, and would just disregard the information.

They would NOT. Disclosing the amount of the offer prior to hearing drives a cart & horses through the process & would be grounds to have any judgment dismissed.

The judge would have little choice but to remove himself & a further hearing under another judge be arranged. Although not normaly granted in small claims the defendent could even apply for a wasted costs order against the claimant.

Excuse my naivity(?) here, but why would an previous offer of a settlement prejudice a judge?

Any advice given is purely my opinion and not based on any legal fact unless referenced with a case. Follow my advice at your own risk. Although the fact may be correct, my interpretation and therefore findings may not

Barclays - £391 Just getting started

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/144290-chris-barclays-take-2-a.html

Barclays - £760 Settled in full

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/17995-chris-barclays-bank.html

Barclaycard - £100 settled in full

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/17996-chris-barclaycard.html

I have seen several references in this forum stating outright that any communication marked as "without prejudice" are automatically excluded from any court proceedings.

I have done a little research, and I have found this is not always the case.

A letter can be "without prejudice" even if not marked as such and a letter

can be marked "without prejudice" and not have that protection.

In other words, a letter marked as such, must be a 'genuine attempt at settlement'. If it is not, then regardless of how it is marked, it could still be entered as evidence.

I'm not recommending anyone tries producing a letter marked as such - you would need to be absoultely certain about what you were doing! You could end up having the judge having to resign themselves from the case and maybe getting costs awarded against you.

I see also, that after judgment, a letter marked as 'Without Prejudice' can be admitted as evidence for the purpose of arguing costs.

From what I have read, it would appear you cannot just hide behind a letter marked as such. It is critical that the content is appropriate.

I'd be interested to hear any other persons thoughts on this.

FP

A "without prejudice" offer will be disclosed by the costs paying party if the offer was reasonable & compared with the courts award then costs for subsequent litigation might be difficult to obtain. However as we are all keeping our claims below £5,000 costs don't enter into it

Of course, if you want your correspondence used as evidence in court, do not write without prejudice on the letter. In fact, you could write the first sentance like " Further to your letter dated..... please find my open letter in reply.

This would show the bank you intend your letter to be read in court. The letter must cast you in a good light.

Its WAR

Because it does & that's why we don't do it.

Please think about it

Ok, so a judge might think that a settlement offer might be an admission of liability - as oppossed to it might be cheaper for the defendant to settle than proceed in court regardless of the outcome.

However, if the defendant offers a settlement with "without prejudice" at the top, then in the letter states something thats shows the defendant in a bad light or says something threatening (I.e. affecting the claiments credit rating), surely it would be better for the judge to see the tactics of the defendant.

Why is it, then, that the judge can't see an offer of settlement as the best route for the defendant, not an admission of liability and can therefore take into account anything hiding within the heading "without prejudice"

Any advice given is purely my opinion and not based on any legal fact unless referenced with a case. Follow my advice at your own risk. Although the fact may be correct, my interpretation and therefore findings may not

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/144290-chris-barclays-take-2-a.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/17995-chris-barclays-bank.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/17996-chris-barclaycard.html

Ok, so a judge might think that a settlement offer might be an admission of liability - as oppossed to it might be cheaper for the defendant to settle than proceed in court regardless of the outcome.

However, if the defendant offers a settlement with "without prejudice" at the top, then in the letter states something thats shows the defendant in a bad light or says something threatening (I.e. affecting the claiments credit rating), surely it would be better for the judge to see the tactics of the defendant.

Why is it, then, that the judge can't see an offer of settlement as the best route for the defendant, not an admission of liability and can therefore take into account anything hiding within the heading "without prejudice"

It's a long standing legal precedent that a "without prejudice" offer cannot be disclosed to the court until after a determination.

As for the threats you refer to you would respond with YOUR letter & whilst making no reference to their offer you could refer to THEIR threats as being unacceptable etc just don't mark your reply as "without prejiduce" Anyway such threats will not affect the outcome unless your claiming additional damages over & above the bank charges which as it's not a defamation or injury claim but a money claim you are not.

We all know these threats are being made but they are a matter for another day in another court & trying to expose their tactics in your money claim might do more harm than good. As you claiming a fixed sum it certainly won't have any affect on the sum awarded

trying to expose their tactics in your money claim might do more harm than good.

Not quite with you on this one. Suppose you reply to their offer stating their threats are unacceptable and the judge asks to see the original settlement offer, could he force you to accept that (at less than the claim is for?)

Can I disclose the contents of a settlement offer and/or my reply under these circumstances:

Offer issued 13th June.

Another penalty charge issued 14th June, discovered only *after* reply to offer.

Argument being that if they're offering to refund today then take it back again tomorrow, it's hardly negotiating in good faith.

If not, which pieces of information might I need to excise from the letter to make them admissible, as they form a key point of my claim.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Can I disclose the contents of a settlement offer and/or my reply under these circumstances:

Offer issued 13th June.

Another penalty charge issued 14th June, discovered only *after* reply to offer.

Argument being that if they're offering to refund today then take it back again tomorrow, it's hardly negotiating in good faith.

If not, which pieces of information might I need to excise from the letter to make them admissible, as they form a key point of my claim.

It depends on what basis the original offer was made. You may have to start the whole process again

Not quite with you on this one. Suppose you reply to their offer stating their threats are unacceptable and the judge asks to see the original settlement offer, could he force you to accept that (at less than the claim is for?)

He would rely on your accusations unless the defendent claimed not to have made them.

Anyway we aren't discussing trying to change the rules. You cannot disclose "without prejiduce" except under very strict criteria

It depends on what basis the original offer was made. You may have to start the whole process again

If you clarify this slightly, I'll see if I can provide the info you need to give a reasonable answer.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

All offers are considered to be part 36 offers & can be argued as to costs by the defendant even if they lose.

I think the argument in your particular case is one in which the defendants right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I suggest you should write to them & tell them that you have been charged AGAIN & unless that is refunded & these charges be stopped you will consider their offer to be null & void. Failing that you will seek the courts permission to disclose their disingenious offer amend your claim accordingly.

I do hope I am not "thread jumpng", but I think my case involves "without prejudice" & might be of use to others.

I have issued Small Claims against first direct. Since then I have had a letter from their solicitor headed "without prejudice" asking for a breakdown of charges I am claiming from their client.

I have already sent the Excel spreadsheet detailing all the unlawful fees etc when I issued the court papers, and anyway, the bank has the charges on its computers.

Would I be safe in ignoring this letter (which I believe to be yet another delaying tactic) on the grounds that it cannot be produced in court?

I do hope I am not "thread jumpng", but I think my case involves "without prejudice" & might be of use to others.

I have issued Small Claims against first direct. Since then I have had a letter from their solicitor headed "without prejudice" asking for a breakdown of charges I am claiming from their client.

I have already sent the Excel spreadsheet detailing all the unlawful fees etc when I issued the court papers, and anyway, the bank has the charges on its computers.

Would I be safe in ignoring this letter (which I believe to be yet another delaying tactic) on the grounds that it cannot be produced in court?

1st do NOT ignore any communication from the otherside. It could cost you dearly in court.

2nd be aware that quite often staff in solicitors office's will put "without prejudice" on sometimes the most unsuitable correspondence. Usually unqualified they do it because it makes them feel they know what they are doing & even if they don't they hope you will think they do. Clearly a request for information doesn't need to be qualified as it is not an admission of liability. It's only a request for information

I should send them another copy as they request whilst pointing out that as you have previously supplied that information you will be sticking to YOUR timetable

Thank you for the speedy reply JonCris. My point was in reference to earlier posts in this thread - if they cannot produce their letter in court (due to it being marked as "without prejudice") how can it affect my case if I ignore their silly letter with the contempt I feel it deserves? :)

Because if you ignore any request for information from the other party it can backfire on you in the eyes of the court & it doens't matter whether its "without prejudice" or not.

Defendant To the judge:

"Sir how can we be expected to reach an agreement with the claimant if he refuses to provide us with the evidence which is the basis of his claim".

Whatever your opinion of the defendant don't get too cocky & end up shooting yourself in the foot

Thank you again for the input - but I still do not understand how a judge is going to look kindly upon a request for information which his court has sent to the defendant already. It is a futile exercise in time wasting & the court is bound to see it that way.

Having said that, to be on the safe side, I will provide copies of the information I have ALREADY sent them & add the cost of doing so to my bill (I am charging £3 per letter). I shall also be making a remark as to the fact that this information has already been supplied.

I think the point is you are supposed to be working in good faith, that is you are not puting any impediment in the way of reaching a negotiated settlement.

Hence you send the stuff and point out its already been lodged/provided histrorically.

Its worth noting that law isnt real life, its a 'game', if you dont play by the rules you may suffer a penalty if you get caught.

The other side have people who play the 'game' for a living, doesnt mean they're perfect but if they can expose any weakness in your case by exploiting your ignorance they will do so, i would if I was them.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Correct Glen. We all think the money lenders are the pits but the object of the exercise here is to win & win & win again.

I suspect most of us want to get "one over" the banks lawyers but it's a dangerous game to play. So my advice is lets stick to a system that we know works & try & be seen by the court as the sympathetic novice