Does TUPE protect stock options?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A part of our (publicly listed) company (call it 'X') is being transferred to a private equity firm under TUPE regulations.

Many of us have a sizeable number of Stock Options in 'X' which we have been told will simply be lost since the Terms & Conditions for the Stock Option scheme state that if we leave the employment of 'X' then we lose any options which haven't yet vested and we will have just 3 months to exercise any options which have vested. The problem with exercising is that the share price of 'X' is currently at a low.

Does TUPE place any requirements on the new company to honour the existing stock option arrangements or do we just have to reconcile ourselves to losing them?

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,I believe you would lose them. Some shares I held with a previous employer were protected and we were allowed to keep them for 3 years for tax reasons, however in your case you seem to be saying that you have not yet exercised your options because of the low share price, so as such the only thing you are seeking to protest is your option to buy in the future.I don't believe your new employer would be able to protect this option either as they would have no method of providing stock at a presumably preferential rate.Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like bad luck!Regards,Paul.

I agree with Paul. You will unfortunately lose the existing shares if they cannot be offered by the new company.

It is worth noting though that if you currently enjoy share options as an incentive, the new employer must also provide you with a similar benefit, either in share options, or an equivalent benefit in kind. This should be a part of the employee consultations ahead of the transfer.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!