Beware - phishing emails asking you to confirm account details !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Over the past few weeks I've been sent a number of suspicious emails asking me to verify my Halifax online account.... :cool:

Although I do have an account with Halifax, it's not an online one, so these were reported as "phishing" attempts and ignored. I then began to receive several more asking me to verify accounts with Abbey, Egg and more recently NatWest !!.... but have never had accounts with any of those :???: .

Fortunately, I'm well aware of spoof emails due to reading up on Ebay during the days when I was going to go into business on there.... so know not to click on links and verify anything.... but, how may others out there have fallen for such tactics ?

Beware !

Never confirm personal details and passwords by clicking on links in emails !!!

My wife has just fallen foul of this. Despite the number of times I have mentioned it.

The answer I got was "Who would be stupid enough to fall for that?"

She found out, tonight!

Fortunately, she got advance warning of standing orders that had been set up on her account (Halifax) by email as she has online banking and checks her emails every day.

She phoned the online help-desk who were able to block the transfers and have changed all her pins, passwords and access codes etc to prevent any more attempts.

Now she knows, first-hand, how easy it is to get sucked in by these scams.

Think she'll be more careful in the future.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Sorry to hear that Rooster.... the emails do look very authentic though, which is a real worry. I bet loads of people fall for this....

I've just logged in again to find another one !! :mad: RBS this time !!! The clue is in "Dear Royal Bank of Scotland Customer" on this occasion though....

Dear Royal Bank Of Scotland Customer,

Update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

https://www.rbsdigital.com/default.aspx?refererident/upgrade>

*Important*

NOTE: FAILURE CAN RESULT TO ACCOUNT SUSPENSION.

P. R. Crush

Security Advisor

The Royal Bank of Scotland © 2008.

:mad:

a few dead giveaways:

A bank will never communicate in this manner

Emails do not have your name or other details (becasue the sender does not know them).

Grammar, spelling etc are often quite poor.

If you put your mouse over the link (don't click!) you will see the true web address on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.

The first one is most important though. Bear that in mind and the rest won't really matter.

Another one this morning ! This time to a different email address, just asking me to "click onto this link". Yeah right...

Reported. ;)

A friend of mine (met on here) lost around £1,700 from Halifax last year due to online fraud.... am now wondering if it had anything to do with this kind of [problem].

:mad:

I get a few of them however one of the three spam filters that e-mails get passed through before they reach my PC tends to pick them up (usually gmails filter)

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

I have reported these to the banks and they never say thanks or provide feeback.

I rang Natwest 2 weeks ago to report a phishing email. After telling me the addie to forward the email to, he quickly moved on to try to convince me to upgrade my account. No thanks - nothing, just disappointment 'cause i wouldn't upgrade!!

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

I've had a few of these, from banks I haven't even got accounts with! I also use a different email for ebay stuff and for internet banking so I know anything coming into my main email box is SPAM. I tend to double check the items on the other emails 'just in case'.

Any genuine emails from Ebay/Paypal will go to the "Messages" section of your Ebay account.... so if you get them in your email Inbox without seeing them displayed in your Ebay account, they're fake.

Ebay introduced this system approx. 2/3 years ago because too many people were being conned by very authentoc-looking emails supposedly from them/Paypal...

;)

Look what i've just found in the email box i NEVER use for formal affairs! :

hxonlymainnopadding_v1.gif

Dear Customer

Halifax PLC. has been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of their Halifax Online accounts. As a result we are making an extra security check on all of our Customers' account in order to protect their online informations from theft and fraud.

Due to this, you are requested to follow the provided steps and confirm your Online Banking details for the safety of your Accounts. Please Click Here To Start .

However, Failure to do so may result in temporary account suspension. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Fraud Prevention Unit

Legal Advisor

Halifax PLC.

Halifax PLC. has been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of their Halifax Online accounts.
We know this because we're responsible for it!

As a result we are making an extra security check on all of our Customers' account in order to protect their online informations from theft and fraud.

This re-worded email will make you think that we are, really the fraud department and thus give us another go at your details.

We are genuine... Honest!

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

I am not impressed with the grammar or sentence construction either :p