Can/do credit card co's change acct no's??!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows about whether a Credit Card Company can change your account no when you go into their debt system?

I have been receiving correspondence from the nice people at Cabot :p , about what I assumed to be an old debt with Citifinancial (credit card), but at the last moment I thought I should double check that the acct nos matched my old statements before sending off a CCA.

Lo and behold, they don't! Well, I thought, this will be simple- send CCA, wait to get nothing back. However, I then checked the little correspondence i have remaining from Citi themselves, and it is on their correspondence that the number changed! On my statements it is one number, and on their (debt recovery) letters it is another.

I am a bit disturbed by this, because surely the account number is one of the key identifiers to this being my account? I have only ever had one card with Citi, so it is not another account in my name.

Can anyone shed any light on this, or has anyone experienced similar?? Where do I stand if they produce a CCA for the original amount (which I think they might, as I have a compliant CCA at home for that account) and then ask it to be paid against this number?

:???: :???: :???:

btw, I haven't put an account no against my letter, just the Cabot ref no, to see what they come back with.

They cannot ask you for payment for an account you have never had, only for the original account if they can prove it. You may have a compliant agreement for the original account but as it is old, they may not. Wait to see what they come up with then take it from there.

Yes Citi sent mine under a different account number to DLC (Direct Legal and Collections). Send the CCA request to Cabot and see what they produce - they'll have to ask Citi for it... send it, then wait and see ;)

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Yes, and ensure you send it with the current account number that cabot have provided, as it *may* make it more difficult for them to track down the original agreement, and in any case you don't want to be providing them with any new information that they may not already have.. ;)

MBNA did the same with my account.

Passed it To Debt Clear under a different number.

I questioned it with MBNA and they said it was because it had been passed to a collection agency. Didn't bother to tell me though, but said the account can be accessed under both account numbers.

All very cloak and dagger stuff to me. The default notice the issued had this new acount number on it also, so don't know if this would be valid as is not the original account number of the card debt?

well I've sent off a letter to cabot today. i just put their ref no on it, but i wonder if, having looked a bit more closely, they changed the number when they sent me a new card at some point?

Also- looking thru my correspondence, I see that at some point they used my name and address, but referred to me as 'Ms Zauner'- very definitely not me (my surname begins with an 'A' for a start)! A letter then thanks me for my change of address details. Confusing!

Does the credit agreement have to have a date or reference number on, because this one has neither, although presumably I signed and dated one, but then it could be for any debt couldn't it?