Help with s/h car that gave up on way home. PLEASE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can help me as the trader who sold me this car wont.

I bought a Kia Sedona from a company called Eastcoast Salvage. They sell cars on behalf of Leasing companies. I paid £3600 for the car. Before I bought it I took it for a little drive around thier yard and car park as the car was not Taxed. It was MoT'ed. On the way home the car overheated, so I filled it back up with water and set off. after another 20 miles the same thing happend. I then had to buy AA cover to get it removed from the Motorway.

I have spoken to the dealers on a number of occasions and in the end he came back and said they would not pay to repair the car and would not give a refund on it either.

Can someone please give me some positive help as I can't afford the £1200.00 repair bill for the head gasket.

Many thanks

Simcap:mad:

I was told by an independant garage that it would cost £1000.00 but to be on the safe side just incase there are other problems to think £1200. This is the 2.9 CRDi deisel engine and it is one big lump. Kia have also said between £600 - £1000, I know it is a big gap but they wont finalise a figure without taking the engine to pieces and that will cost £2-300 pounds. Even when it is back together they said it may also be the water pump and that to supply and fit is another £300.00 .

Help

Simcap

Morning simcap

You need to have things in writing so don't telephone again.

It doesn't matter that they are a salvage company, they must still trade within the law.

You could reject the car as 'not of merchantable quality' under the sale of goods act, and get your money back, get them to repair it or get it repaired and bill them.

As he has already said he wants nothing to do with it, write to him (recorded) and tell him that they have been given a chance of repair and refused, and that you will be taking it to another garage for repair and will expect them to reimburse you under the sale of goods act.

Tell them they have 10 days in which to reply with their proposal. After the 10 days, get the car repaired and bill them with another 10 days to reply and mentioning that failure to pay the bill will result in a claim in the country court.

It is always easier to get a judgement for non payment of a bill than to get satisfaction from a court order to repair.

Thank you both. I have already sent the above storey to Consumer direct and am waiting a reply. Have also formulated a letter stating the Sales Of Goods Act and Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and will send that rec' del' tomorrow. Will see what happens.

Simcap

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Tomorrow will be the end of the 7 working days I gave ECS to reply. What is my next step? Is it an LBA, if so is there a template for my situation. If not, can I please have help with some of the wording.

Many thanks

Simcap

Morning simcap

I know you said you can't afford the £1200 for the repair, but could you pay for the repair at another garage?

My thinking is that I wouldn't really want them to do the repair, and as I said earlier, it is easier to get money from someone with the backing of the court than get a service done.

• 2 months later...

Hi, first post so go easy on me :).

Has there been any progress on this problem? I have just bought a car from there and got a problem to. I got it last weekend and problem happened on the trip home, have given it a couple of days to see what happens but it is still there, so im going to ring them.

Whats the best thing for me to do?

Welcome canary

Would be nice to see if there was any satisfaction in simcaps case.

Your choices are the same as his, take it back and reject it and ask for your money back or ask him to repair it.

Don't take any nonsense, if he refuses, you need to write telling him you are rejecting the car and making that same letter a 'letter before action'.

You are entitled to the full purchase price with no deductions for admin etc; so pay him a visit as soon as possible.

You don't say what the fault is that your having?

Hi, thanks for reply,

sorry i forgot to mention what the problem was!! Got the car last weekend.

When driving the car home the engine management light came on about 2 miles from home. Didnt think it was to much to worry about as the car still ran ok. It didnt come on again untill Tuesday and again it still ran ok. So im unsure now what to do and will get an auto electrician to have a look before i do anything else i think.

The engine management light can be something as easy as the Lamda sensor (probably the one after the cat if it is a Renault), or it could be an engine problem.

Have a check of the air filter to see if the car is in need of a service, sometimes a service can cure an engine warning light. If it is filthy then ask the seller to do a service on it at his expense.

Car is a Peugeot 206 petrol, am away from home at the moment but i have car booked in for a plug in check Friday, if its simple like the Lamda sensor i will prob sort it myself then will check air filter etc myself and see where i go from there.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi canary64,

Sorry for the delayd responce.

The story so far is we still have the car, have paid over £700 to have the head gasket replaced and while it was at Kia was told of more work that will need to be done before the MoT. Am in the process of writing to ECS tellin them of the cost and that they have 5 working days to pay or we will go to court without any further notice. Will see how that goes. Not holding my breath as haven't heard a word from them at all.

How is your problem? Have you done anything about it?

Simcap:confused:

• 5 months later...

I have let this go on for too long now. I need to go to court as I have had no responce from ECS. Can I do the paperwork on-line or do I need to go to the courts and get the paperwork? If I can do this, where do I go on-line?

Many thanks

Simcap