• Tweets

• should I?  - I figured maybe back log.  I will give them a call then - it's almost 4 months tbf
    • Do you have historical meter readings from before the meters were changed? And more recent history showing consumption, in metered units not in £s,  since the change. One specific thing to check is gas. Check that the meter and the bill use the same units. If the meter is recording cu.m but they're billing as if it was counting 100 cu.ft, then your bill will be nearly three times too high.  Overall I'm guessing it's an Ovo screw up. It's significant that they didn't block the transfer, maybe they aren't so sure of their position.
    • Hmmm, interesting point. In my career, that I am retired from now, there were an immense amount of rules and regulations that one had to adhere to by law. The qualification process is rigorous with on going assessments throughout your career and re-certification every 12 months. If you were shown to be not competent in those rules and regulations you could not hold the position and the operational consequences of that could potentially be dire. In the same respect, perhaps a judge who is not conversant in the rules of POFA should not sit in on cases that requires proficiency in that area? I also bow to your considerable knowledge in this area, perhaps I shouldn't be commenting but by doing so I find it helps the learning process. Your last point has just reminded me of something that may help my case, thank you.
    • Just had an email re the my breache in agreement by her rep.   I asked you yesterday if they had asked about her name in the thread being removed.   The issue they have is the Elizabeth turner and genetic pups entry on google.   they knew I did not put it up and told them so in court.  I dnt know how to post on google.   I told them I cannot remove what I did not post.  when i come back here and saw her name gone from threads title, I presumed her reps sought it.   now I get an email saying her names still on google ur breaching the agreement as it’s still on google.  
    • Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

First Abbey + Wescot, now RBS + Wescot

mrkhm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5811 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

About 3 months ago, i received a letter from wescot on behalf of abbey claiming a sum of £646, which is part of a sum i am disputing with abbey in bank charges so i wrote back the usual letter of this account is in dispute etc..

Now 3 weeks ago they sent me a new letter, now on behalf of ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND for £588.53 with the usual threats, which i ignored, but am now taking seriously as they have left about 10 messages on my mobile, morning day and night and today i received the notice of litigation which i suppose should not really be ignored.

Here are important facts:

I have never had an account with the royal bank of scotland

I have never borrowed money from the royal bank of scotland

I have never engaged or even stepped into a branch at the royal bank of scotland

Who is the royal bank of scotland? (just jokes)

The two figures are different i.e. £646 vs £588.53

I tried to research to see if the royal bank of scotland recently acquired abbey national, can't find anything along those lines.

So how do i respond to this notice of litigation, should i let it go ahead all the way to court as i am confident that they cannot provide any evidence of my name tied with rbs? or any good letters i have not seen yet?

Thanks in advance

Hi mrkhm!

Personally, I would just send off a £1 CCA 1974 Request Template Letter to Wescot for the 'alleged' debt to RBOS.

From what U have Posted, it is obvious that Wescot have either made an error, or else are deliberately trying to wind U up.

For the sake of the cost of sending the above letter, it would immediately put THEM onto the back foot, with regards of having to provide U proof of the 'alleged' debt, instead of them attempting to overduly worry U with proving to them that U don't!...;)

...:)

hi

i had the exact same with a diffrent bank how dare they here is what i sent i will go and get a copy for you now when you have sent this you will get a reply then send them letter no 2

i will go and get them for you

you are welcome to look at my threads and abroadgirl v abbey i have a couple mopre by abroadgirl

ok im off to get the letters for you

abg

Hi, Are Wescot saying that the RBS debt is a bank account or a Credit card? If a bank account a CCA request will not help you, you will need a SAR which can be found in the templates section. But before you start on this route, they have to prove to you that the debt is yours, send them the following letter.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

If they keep hassling you after that, come back and we can work out what to do after that.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Why spend £10 on a S.A.R. to prove the DCA's error to yourself Lula??...:confused:

The OP has already stated their non-association with RBS.

The onus would ALWAYS be on Wescot to prove the 'alleged' Debt, in any event.

From a personal point of view, Wescot could do whatever, but if I already knew that THEY were wrong, I wouldn't be spending any more than is necessary.

I would just go ahead + make an Official Complaint to the relevent authorities.

...But, admittedly, I'd have a bit of fun stringing them along beforehand + allow them to dig themselves into a deeper hole over this particular issue.

Importantly, the OP needs to be wary of a false DEFAULT being placed on their Credit Report by Wescot.

...A quick check with the CRA's would be better use of their money well spent methinks!...;)

I think, if you read my posting correctly, I stated that "before you start on this route" you send the "prove it" letter.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Hi there

The Office of Fair Trading guidance on debt collection clearly states

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. sending demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that

they are the debtor in question, for example, threatening debt recovery

action to 'the occupier' or sending a payment demand to all people sharing

the same name/date of birth as a debtor in the hope that contact with the

correct debtor will be made.

and

i. failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is

queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued

Therefore , send the letter that Lula Suggests as the first port of call. they MUST prove that the debt is legitimate and that YOU are the debtor if they are to be able to pursue you for the debt, otherwise they are acting outside of the OFTs guidelines and they could have the Consumer Credit Licence revoked

i trust this helps

Regards

paul

U did Lula...But U know as well as I do, what type of letter Wescot would reply to the OP with.

From a personal point of view, I wouldn't reveal my strategy to the DCA too soon, especially if it cause me to be unnecessarily out of pocket, both with my time + effort, as well as finanically.

I would wait until I had more damming evidence from the DCA, before I made my Official Complaint.

Two sides of the same coin methinks!

Strategy, what strategy? When confronted with a letter like that Wescot will more than likely do a volte face and retire injured.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

i am sorry it has taken a while lulu ty thats the letter i was trying to find i have come across this one as well

REQUEST FOR COPY AGREEMENT

I refer to your communication asking 1st Credit Ltd to provide you with a copy of the relevant agreement.

We are advising our client of your request. This document will be sent to you as soon as possible. We will not seek to enforce the agreement until we have dealt with your request.

Once you have received a copy of this agreement we would expect you to contact this office immediately to arrange settlement of this debt.

Please call this office should you wish to discuss this matter.

The reply to my partners request went like this:

YOU HAVE RAISED A DISPUTE / QUERY

I refer to your recent communication advising 1st Credit Ltd that you have a dispute / query in relation to this debt.

We will shortly be contacting our client to advise them of your comments. We will contact you with our client's reply in due course. This process may take at least one month.

Unless you are disputing the full balance we must ask you to contact 1st Credit Ltd immediately to discuss payment of the debt amount you accept is due and payable.

Please contact this office to provide a suitable contact number.

This will ensure we are able to deal with this matter quickly and efficiently.

Both our (identical) CCA requests started:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY YOU PURPORT TO REPRESENT.

With reference to the above account, I hereby request that you provide me with the following documentation:

1. A true copy of the original executed credit agreement.

2. A true statement of account.

3. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment.

I understand that under the legislation contained within the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77−79) .....etc. etc.

hello well i have a reply frome the lowells your not going to believe this

i am having to type it as scanner is playing up

heres it is

carnt wait to read your comments

futher to my letter dated 31st dec i have now investigated your complaint fully and will respond as follows (they have to cover themseves and put there norm dont they

Your comment that you have no knowledge of this debt has been noted as you are aware this this debt was purchased from our client in the later part of 2007 (the liars still i guess they have to cover themselves)

we have recently carried out futher enquires on reciet or your recent correspondence the result of which cofirms the above

your comments that we have breached various regularty guidlines as outlined in your correspondence are therefore not accepted as we have addhered to industry and regulatory guidelines in our attempt to recover this debt which we believe you are liable for (lies) lol

i acknowledge your request for documentary evidence that proves your liability for this debt

unfortunatly we are unable to provide you with this documents (i wonder why)

relating to this account due to the age of the account (now they said above 2007 mmm strange)

whilst investagating your comments it has also come to light now that this debt is now subject to secrion 5 of the limitation act 1980 (does anyone know what it is plz)

following from above the above the decision has been taken to cease collection activities and close the account forwith you should no longer be contacted with regards to this matter please be informed that this decision has been made for the reasons outlined above and not as an admission of any wrongdoing whatsoever

please note that under the terms of our complaints proceedure this is our final responce should it be the case that you remain dissatified you may refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman please see the enclosed guide you need to do this within 6 months of the date of this letter for more info please see the the enclosed leaflet etc etc

chido asirgbu

tyvvm for all your help hugs

abg

user_online.gifreputation.gif vbrep_register("1318253") report.gif

Right, now I have read the whole thing properly LEXY YOU HAVE WON!!!! they are ceasing collection, the debt is no longer owed (but we knew that anyway) so what thread of yours does this apply to?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

• 2 weeks later...

hi all thanks for your support thus far.. here is the response to the letter you advised me to send (for now anyways) scanned....

Dear Mr....

Thank you for your recent contact with regard to the above account.

We acknowledge that you have raised a query on this account and we would like to confirm to you how this will be investigated.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

We will suspend all collection activity on the above account whilst the matter raised is under investigation. This means that we will not write to you, or telephone you in pursuit of the account whilst it is being investigated.

However. we may need to contact you if we require further details or wish to clarify any information that you have provided to us.

As our investigation of your query will require us to contact our client, this process may take several weeks. We would appreciate your patience during this time.

Upon concluding our investigation, we will contact you again. WHAT CAN YOU DO?

If further information to help us investigate or resolve your query can be provided, we would be grateful. If you wish to contact us to discuss this matter, please telephone us on 0870 02-1- 0-1-39. Alternatively, you can write to us at the address above.

We can be contacted 7 days a week as follows;

Monday - Friday: 8am - 9pm

Saturday: 8am - -lpm

Sunday: 9am - -lpm '

Yours sincerely

Wescot Credit Services Ltd

what i really noticed from this letter? these guys are so shark they are even open on Sundays!

Temp victory anyways

there would be absolutley no point sending a CCA or Consumer Credit Agreement Request for a bank account as no credit would be provided on a bank account.

as for overdrafts they are covered by the exemption contained within section 74 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and it becomes largely pointless trying to CCA them as they do not have the same unenforceability protection as is afforded to all other regulated agreements under the likes of S127 CCA as all that would need to be provided would be the letter setting out the financial details from the overdraft and ive not come accross a bank that cant reproduce a copy of the financial particulars of your overdraft.

IMHO the best way forward if this is a bank account is to look at the reclaiming charges

...IMHO the best way forward if this is a bank account is to look at the reclaiming charges
pt2537...

I think that U MAY have lost sight of the OP's 1st Post, in which he states NO KNOWN connection with an 'alleged' debt to RBS.

There are NO Bank Charges to be Reclaimed from RBS by the OP!...:cool:

The CCA Request gives the Op specific dates to be guided by, whereas the General 'Stop asking me for money that U can't prove I owe U' Letters don't.

...:-)

pt2537...

I think that U MAY have lost sight of the OP's 1st Post, in which he states NO KNOWN connection with an 'alleged' debt to RBS.

There are NO Bank Charges to be Reclaimed from RBS by the OP!...:cool:

The CCA Request gives the Op specific dates to be guided by, whereas the General 'Stop asking me for money that U can't prove I owe U' Letters don't.

...:-)

ok well i was asked to give my opinion on the merits of a CCA request where there was an overdraft so my response was and still is spot on and correct.

if you are approached by a company claiming that you owe them money, the "prove it " letter should have the account placed on hold until such time as the DCA substansiate the debt and provide proof that the OP is indeed liable for the alleged debt so the "Prove it" letter has more merit than it is actually given credit for,

now you send a CCA request and this debt is in fact a bank account wehre no credit is provided

A) you are gonna look supremely silly as it would not be relevent and could be ignored

B) you are not going to receive a reply in 12 working days to a CCA request because of point A

so the best course of action is a prove it letter in the first instance to establish what the actual debt is , and then this will give you the information you need to establish what course of action is best to take

Regards

Paul

Furthermore...

Reading from #12 of MY previously given link:

...car2403, Sequenci, slick132 + rory32 appear to have concurred wih ME on this course of action being appropriate.

ok but the consumer credit act 1974 seems to disagree

Exclusion of certain agreements from Part V

74.Exclusion of certain agreements from Part V. — (1) This Part (except section 56) does not apply to— (a)a non-commercial agreement, or

(b)a debtor-creditor agreement enabling the debtor to overdraw on a current account, or

© a debtor-creditor agreement to finance the making of such payments arising on, or connected with, the death of a person as may be prescribed.

For the benefit of the OP, here is the WHOLE of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ...;)

pt2537...

What it says in the CCA 1974 ISN'T in dispute.

What is however, is the use of the CCA 1974 Request, to place the onus back onto the DCA etc to PROVE the 'alleged' debt.

By failing to comply with the CCA 1974 Request +/or stating WHY they are NOT complying, the DCA etc FAIL as per the CCA 1974 Request requirements state.

I hope U can see the justification, for the relatively miniscule outlay of £1??