Full Service History

2gals
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought a car last May and was told by the salesman it had a full service history from new (it was 3 years old). Went to pick up the vehicle and the salesman said he was updating the service history book as some of the service stamps were missing. I still don't have the service history (and its now March) and have written and phoned loads of times. Spoke to the manager of the dealership and he said he would write me a letter stating it had a full service history but that they can't provide the stamps in the service history book. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

No it doesn't sound reasonable. You should contact them one more time and ask for the service history as promissed. This was part of the reason you purchaed the car in the first place and if they can't provide it then tell them you will be contacting trading standards.

.........And what, please tell me would Trading Standards do if you told them?

Maybe you would want that the dealer just stamps the book willy nilly, enters dates and mileages and calls it a service history.

Would you be happy then?

Hammy

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Trading standards would be interested in anyone selling something that is not as described. The sale of the car included a full service history. They have not delivered the full service history so therefore they have not fulfilled their side of the contract.

You have to ask whether they have used this as a selling tool in order to make a quicker and more profitable sale. A car with a full service history is a much more attractive option than one without.

If the op was told there was no service history then the chances are he would never have bought it.

Where have I mentioned that the garage should falsify documents? Nowhere! Please read the posts more carefully.

Can I ask why so aggressive Hammy?:confused:

If I told you I serviced a car to the letter but didnt have the service history, would you still buy the car? Doubt it, so why trust a salesman? I went along with my fiance when she bought her car from a dealership and the handbrake failed whilst she was pregnant. Mechanic gave her a cock n bull story as she was a female, I turned up with her following day. Insisted the handbrake was not faulty, I then asked for an engineer's report to susbtantiate their claim, I volunteered as I was a mechanical engineer working at a local college (in the mech eng dept, still there till management force me out!) another story,,,lol handbrake adjusted there and then after my occupation was given by fiance..now there's a suprise..

One of the reasons we did buy the car was because the salesman said full service history but then we are guilty that we didn't check it out fully (I trusted the salesman!). I am more concerned that the salesman can do this again and again (I have learned my lesson) and it's not on. I believe that the dealership should get some sort of reprimand but what chance of that? I've rung the dealership and the customer services again and again and no-one is actually bothered. Thank you for replying. It's good to hear your views.

As I said Trading standards would be interested. You are not obliged to check out what the salesman says is true before buying. If he says there is a full service history then isn't it reasonable to assume that he has actually seen this before he tells you it exists and uses it as part of the sales pitch?

On the servicing point of things, I am lucky in most of the vehicles I own or my fiance owns or has owned, I service the vehicle ,myself, including cam belts etc..I used to highlight parts that should be changed for friends of my fiance (being schoolteachers, single and female) they were taken advantage of. My advice, never trust a car salesman, they are all in it for the sale! I know most males do know more than females, although we have a female engineer at work who is just as good as the guys..The original full service history should still be available by the salesman, if it isn't, then he sold the car without being able to substantiate the claims of a fsh (full service history). Our current commuting vehicle is a Seat Ibiza 1.9 diesel, bought it last year for £100! Yup, 100 smackers, opened engine bay had a good look around, started from cold with hardly any smoke, MOT'd (needed a windscreen-Insurance, plus had 2 new tyres abour 3 weeks ago..) although just got back from a Vw dealership..took a fancyto a Golf TDi! Other vehcile is a 1987 Range Rover 3.5 V8i used for ferrying my 2 labs back from (very muddy) walks and shoots. £350 with new tyres all round and passed MOT no problem. Expensive to run, yes, but saves car getting dirty...plus use RR for paid work (towing car trailers, moving heavy items etc..so it is also a workhorse..any more advice, you know where I am, have tomorrow off as well, wohoo!!..

Full service history gets all hyped up anyway.

When I sell my car I'll have done all the servicing myself, to a much higher standard than most dealers I'll tell you as well.

The only stamp in the book is the PDI. I know some dealers who stamp the book and do a pretty rubbish basic service. I've done a cracking job with Genuine parts but no stamp in the book.

Which would you choose?

Hammy

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

I totally agree with you Hammy. The full service history is only as good as the mechanic who has done the work and the parts used.

The main point here though is the fact that the salesman used the promise of a FSH to make the car seem like a more of a great deal than it actually was.

If it hasn't got a FSH then don't tell people it has.:)

True. Plus if you sell a car privatley, the buyer will spot a good car to a complete howler. I have had offers on my Range Rover in Tesco's car park and she is 21 yrs old but is immaculate, I even bought a new headlining for her off ebay..other half thinks I am mad..on my own today as booked an extra day off...

It's more peace of mind asking for a FSH when you really haven't got a clue about cars - you hope that something has actually taken care of it. I'll probably give trading standards a ring and see if they have any suggestions as to what I can do. Thanks all.

• 2 months later...
the other point is that a car with a full service history is worth more, a car with no service history may have been clocked, and the missing history may shown the true mileage

I can assure you that there are also many cars out there that have full service history and have been clocked, but the history backs up the current mileage.