Me v 1st Credit (Stat Demand)

GaryH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well done Gary :) Gary could you give some info on what costs you asked for and how you went about asking for costs. I know some people have not been successful in getting costs awarded and obviously if everyone could successfully get costs then that might start to act as a slight deterant to these DCA money grabbers.

Thanks Gary. I think some people may not have asked for costs until the actual hearing so that's probably where the problem has arose in them being awarded.

Rory,

If it's of any help, I was in a similar situation and only asked for costs at the actual hearing. However, I had prepared my costs prior to this and it was just a case of handing the sheet of paper to the district judge.

This is what I requested and got:-

Costs For Set Aside Application Case No xxx

xx Court xxx April 2008

Rate Claimed Litigant in Person rate of £9.25 / hour

Travelling Costs HMRC Approved Mileage Rate of 40p / mile

1) Time spent identifying and understanding relevant legislation.

Time spent identifying and understanding relevant case law.

Time spent preparing affidavit and skeleton argument.

18 hours £166.50

2) Time spent communicating with Respondant and swearing affadavit

2 hours £ 18.50

3) Loss of day’s wages for attending court on xxx April 2008 £ 80.00

4) Travelling costs for return journey to court 2 x 20 miles £ 16.00

Total £281.00

Notes

Before undertaking this myself I approached a solicitor to handle this. I was given an estimate of 3 to 6 hours at £170/hour to prepare the Application (£510-£1020) plus extra for attending the court.

I respectfully request that the court give consideration to awarding these costs on the indemnity basis or, in the alternative, on the standard basis as I believe, in any case, that they have been proportionately and reasonably incurred and/or are of a proportionate and reasonable amount.

In support of this request, I would also like to refer the court’s attention to the authority of the High Court in the case of:-

Hammonds (a firm) v Pro-Fit USA Ltd [2007] EWHC 1998 (Ch)

In this case, Mr Justice Warren confirmed that it was usual for an indemnity award to be made:-

27 So far as disputed debts are concerned, the practice of the court is not to allow the insolvency regime to be used as a method of debt collection where there is a bona fide and substantial dispute as to the debt. Save in exceptional cases, the court will dismiss a petition based on such a debt (usually with an indemnity costs order against the petitioner).

welldone GaryH...restores our faith in the great british justice system....thanks for the info....I intend to set a side a demand...I'm hoping mine to as successful as yours.....great news

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi there

i have read the threads regarding 1 st credit not sure how to deal with this. havej ust been served a sd on 28-6 2008

so have until 16.to file the forms 6.5 6.4 .it doesnt say which court they use . the debt came froom a credit card which i have agreed with others to pay a reduced amount each month.can i argue that bankcruptcy will mean no one gets payed .

hellp going mad

Hi nightwalker. You need to start your own thread on this.

The forms are filed at your local court (if they do bankruptcy - most do but some of the smaller courts don't) as this is where the set aside hearing will be heard.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

They paid, btw. On time as well!:D

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 3 weeks later...

GaryH - wonder if you'd mind taking a look at my thread -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/152479-help-needed-stat-demand.html

I'm about to fill in the set aside papers and I'm not sure what to write on the affidavit? Have you any suggestions?

Everyone's help with this is fantastic - I can't say how gratefull I am for stumbling across this site!

• 1 month later...
Has Gary heard anything from 1st credit since the SD fiasco??

Not a sausage! Doubt I will either, although I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually flog it on to another bunch of bottom feeders.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Canbrilla,

Depends on how efficiant the court is really - if the court is busy then you may end up waiting ages to be called in (bit like at the doctors:D) but assuming they don't turn up then you should only actually be in front of the judge for 10 minutes or less.

You may wish to write to 1st and re-iterate that the debt is quite clearly subject to a genuine legal dispute. There is clearly a triable issue. They are put to proof on existance, enforcability, assignment, etc, etc.. Their statutory demand must, therefore, be set-aside and to run the application to a hearing would be a waste of expense and court resources. Invite them to formally withdraw the statutory demand - and warn that if they decline to do so you will rely on the letter on the issue of costs and conduct generally. Enclose a costs schedule. They would then have to be incredibly stupid not to withdraw it. And if they don't then show it to the judge and hammer them for costs.

Have you got a thread?

Hi i have been posting some threads about my husbands dealings with 1st credit (cititcards originally) was reading yours today as we have a hearing on the 30th october, we have disputed the debt due to charges etc, the debt is for £959, we are extremely anxious about this and wondered if you could give any advice further to what we have been given as to what to do and say on the day, do you think they will turn up? and do we let 1st credit know about the hearing or will the court let them know, how will we know if they are going to withdraw and what happens with the hearing if they do withdraw, thanks for you time

• 8 months later...

I would like to add my 2 penny worth to this thread. I noted the solicitor is stated as being "R Marr" . I checked the law society website and see he is stated as being "employed by 1st Credit" which brings me to question of COSTS being claimed by 1st Credit. I would look VERY closely at the costs being claimed by them both for Court work and for simple paperwork as they MAY have hard time claiming them. If he is employed by them they are NOT his client and thus will be hard to claim that they are paying him say £150 per hour. I bet they have been milking system, although that is just a guess NOT a statement. Regards Debtor

Hi i have been posting some threads about my husbands dealings with 1st credit (cititcards originally) was reading yours today as we have a hearing on the 30th october, we have disputed the debt due to charges etc, the debt is for £959, we are extremely anxious about this and wondered if you could give any advice further to what we have been given as to what to do and say on the day, do you think they will turn up? and do we let 1st credit know about the hearing or will the court let them know, how will we know if they are going to withdraw and what happens with the hearing if they do withdraw, thanks for you time

Liz, the court will advise 1st credit of the hearing and if they are going to withdraw they will either write to you saying they are discontinuing or you will get to the court on the day and they just wont have turned up. :D

If you do get a notice of discontinuance from 1st Credit, then do please check with the court that this is so.

Let us know here also, because I think if they do discontinue you can apply for costs. :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hope the hearing went well liz01. Let us know how you got on.

By way of an update - 1st Credit have defaulted my credit file, so because they are unable to prove the existance of the supposed 'debt' I will shortly be filing a claim to remove the default. I'll update the thread as and when.

• 1 month later...

Default now removed from all the CRA's files. :)