Jump to content

Barclays- can they do it?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all

I've had a cash card account with Barclays for a couple of years which I've used less and less only for DD payments. The account went a few pounds o/d and they started to bounce DD, and of course charging sending the account into permanant OD. I'm in the process of reclaiming the charges amounting to approx £300, when they cancelled all DD's and informing me of closing account.

When I sent my letter before action, they closed my account and get this transferred £79 from my current account to clear the o/d without permission from me. Can they do this? Account in dispute, taking money without any authorisation? A little advice needed. Seems this OFT case is making the banks blase.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they can move money from one account to another its called 'off set'


However you can complain about the closure of the account as the account is in dispute :)




Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)


"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum


Forum rules

Cag toolbar



Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others


I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, ajrz17.



HBOS closed my account whilst in dispute,( If it's legal or not, I'm not sure). I know they can use funds from one account to offset debts on another. Thats in your T&C's(apparently).







Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi aj,


It's up to you if you complain or not. If the a/c was out of order, you may not get much joy, even though this was caused by unlawful penalty chgs.


May be better, though, to concentrate on reclaiming the penalty chgs which you've suffered on the a/c.


May also be an idea to set up a parachute a/c but this shouldn't be nec'y if you keep your current a/c in order.

We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...