Bretty36 v halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, great site guys and the first thing i log into every morning. I have been reading with intrest everyone's posts but I can't believe that the banks are refunding all the charges, things like this just dont happen to me!

I sent off my data request forms recorded delivery on the 26th June and enclosed 2x£10 postal orders as I am requesting information about 2 accounts. The orders were made out to 'Halifax', was this correct?

Also, my letters were hand written as my printer is currently u/s but I was so excited by the fact that I may have a chance of reclaiming what I know will run into thousands of pounds that I wanted to send it as soon as possible. Do you think that the fact that they were hand written will have an adverse effect or not?

Also sent a request to Lloyds about a closed business account that again has had thousands of pounds worth of charges added again along with a £10 postal order.

Heres hoping and wishing............

Lloyds LBA sent 11/08/06 £4205

Halifax account 1 LBA sent 11/08/06 £3118

Halifax account 2 waiting to settle account 1 first £3286 and ever increasing!

Hi and welcome to the site.

You only needed to send 1 postal order as the £10 fee covers you for all info held about you, but no need to worry about that now I suppose!

The letter will be fine handwritten as long as it is legible.

For the business account - what is the legal status of the business? Is it a limited company?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for the welcome!

No the business and bank account was being run as a 'Sole Trader', do the same terms apply?

If you look under the FAQs section here you will see that yes you can reclaim buiness bank charges back

Good luck

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Great, I have read the FaQ's and understand fully what I am required to do.

I asked the bank on numerous occassions for a small overdraft to help with cash flow when things were quiet but was always met with a negative response and this was before I started to get any charges for unpaid DD's etc. It seems they will only lend money to people with money!

Anyway, they eventually closed the account down so in one way I suppose it was a good thing not having an overdraft to pay back but in another it would have saved me thousands in charges.

I hope this doesn't have a negative effect on my claim, only time will tell....

Bretty.

Why should it have a negative effect on your claim?

In progress:

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

I just hope the fact that they closed the account down because of the way it was being run doesn't go against my claim, I can't help thinking that I will be the one who doesn't get my money back!!

Gonna do my damnest to make sure I do tho :D

I can't help thinking that I will be the one who doesn't get my money back

I can assure you that most people (if not all) think the same thing when they start. But the figures speak for themselves - over £1,000,000 back to over 1,000 users.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I dont know if it was the right move or not but i've just sent an email to customer services asking them to confirm that they have received my data protection act request.

Does anyone know if they generally reply to these types of requests or not?

Had a letter from the Halifax yesterday telling me that my request would be posted seperately and also they sent one of my postal orders back as it only costs £10 regardless of how many accounts you have. They did this due to 'customer care'!.

Had another letter today stating that it costs £5 for my requests and that if I still wanted them to proceed to ring them and issue payment!!

Left hand and right hand springs to mind. Anyway, rang them back and told them that I have already paid my £10 and after a few minutes I was told that my requests had already been requested and will be with me shortly.

I will keep you all updated.

I received my statements on Saturday altho there is a years worth missing (is this a usual tactic taken by the Halifax?)

On one account I have £2963 worth of charges and on the account with a years worth missing I have £1820 worth of charges!!

I reckon on the highest figure you can probably add another £100 or so with recent charges and I would think there is around £500 worth in the 'missing year' so I am gonna fight them tooth and nail to get that lot back.

Will let you know how things progress as I know more.

Received the 'missing statements and was horrified to find another £1143 worth of charges on them, which uncannilly makes the charges on that acount £2963 which is exactly the same figure as my other account!

As the figures added together break the magic £5k mark would I be right in thinking that I would be better off submitting 2 seperate claims?

Any advice gratefully excepted!

Help needed please!!

When I send off my LBA should I send a copy of all the statements I was sent with the charges highlighted or should I list them seperately and can anyone advise me whether I should make a seperate claim for each account as they total just under 6k or lump it together and fast track it?

Getting impatient and just want to send the letter off but I want to make sure I do everything properly, many thanks.

Help needed please!!

When I send off my LBA should I send a copy of all the statements I was sent with the charges highlighted or should I list them seperately and can anyone advise me whether I should make a seperate claim for each account as they total just under 6k or lump it together and fast track it?

Getting impatient and just want to send the letter off but I want to make sure I do everything properly, many thanks.

You need to enter the charges in the spreadsheet which is in the templates libraray,

As for lumping the claims I would advise no keep the claims below 5k, wait until one claim is finished and paid before proceeding with the next one, all these answers are in the step by step instructions and FAQs

In progress:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick one. It is 2 days until the 14 days are up for the prelim letter and before I send the LBA but I have had a few more charges since I sent the prelim. Can I claim for these too and change the original figure that I was claiming for or do I have to make a seperate claim? thanks.

Thanks for that. Sent my LBA today after absolutely no response from the Halifax.

Claiming for £3118 so still keeping the fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

I am starting to fill in the interest calculation spreadsheet (eventually) but the daily interest rate seems very high. I have gone back to 2001 and am claiming back around £3000, the daily interst rate has set itself to 66.41 which seems very high. A £56 charge gives me ££21.53 interest, is this right? many thanks in anticipation.

Guest bluecloud

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself Pam. You shouldn't need to send a copy of form N1 to the bank.

Slow down a little and start your own thread. It makes it much easier to ask questions and much easier for other members to answer when they can see a history.

Also, read, read, read and read. Everything seems a little daunting at first but if you follow the tried and tested procedure, you should soon have your charges refunded.

Also sent by PM.