• Tweets

• Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
    • The US competition watchdog has taken legal action to stop Tapestry's $8.5bn takeover of rival Capri.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Please give me some advice for a friend in need.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few months ago my friend popped over extremely depressed and eventually told me about her piling debts.

Being a Cagger I offered her my advice and encouragement because she was going to pay some bloke £500.00 to make her bankrupt ( I don't know the ins and outs because it sounded fishy so I just said " No way" and planned to work through her debts one by one the Cag way.)

A bit of info she is on benefits and that is her only income,she doesn't own her own property ( it's rented ) and doesn't have a car.

Her debts are made up mainly from catalogues and store cards BUT she had a loan,credit card and overdraft from the same bank.

The first thing we did was send CCA's to all the catalogues and because she said she has been paying the loan off forever but didn't know how much was still outstanding we sent a SAR to the Bank.

Everything was going well until last week - she's recieved the normal letters from the catalogues with blank agreements etc.

The problem is the amount of the loan is now £13,000.00 ( growing daily) - I was in shock and so was she!When I asked her why it was so high she told me the bank have just kept consolidating her borrowing and because she was in a pickle she went along and accepted it each time and signed whatever was put in front of her.

We have written letters offering token payments to the Bank and she opened a different Bank account.

All offers have been refused and now interest and charges are being applied daily.

With it being such a large amount would Bankruptcy be the best option?

I'm in a little bit over my head here and feel guilty telling her not to go bankrupt in the first place:(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

I would suggest that initially she just pays them what she can afford. Once the OFT test case comes through, we should see whether the charges can be reclaimed.

To be honest, I am going to assume the CCA is in place (because that seems highly likely if it is a recent debt). In which case, i would suggest that bankruptcy is a viable option. it does depend where the unemployment is likely to be short or long term.

Has she gone through the CCCS/ payplan?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Hi Tom and thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately it looks like her unemployment is going to be long term.

I've checked through all her statements and unbelievably there are no charges - she's managed to keep up all her monthly £300.00 payments on the loan until last month when she could cope no longer.

What exactly is CCCS/Payplan ? to be honest she's only ever visited the CAB and they were not in the least bit helpful.

Do you also happen to know how much it would cost for her to go bankrupt she's on income support and child tax credit at the moment so funds are tight and she's also worried that the recievers might take away her settee . I know it sounds silly but she's been going without food and essentials to try and pay all these back but couldn't cope.

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

CCCS - Free Debt Advice from the UK's Leading Debt Charity

Free Debt Management company | Debt Advice | Payplan

In your friends case, since her income is made entirely from benefits that can't be charged during bankruptcy, she is unlikely to have to pay anything. (Unless she has savings, which would all go to the OR).

Quite likely the bankruptcy would be discharged after 6 months.

OR's don't normally confiscate peoples old settee's ;) they would go after any substantial assets, such as cars etc, but not if they are needed for work (and were only worth a reasonable amount).

I am not sure exactly whom you need to inform, I believe that there is no obligation to inform a landlord if you have already paid the debt.

National Debtline, for FREE CONFIDENTIAL and INDEPENDENT ADVICE call 0808 808 4000

Is a good place to start.

My understanding is that if you are on menefits, you are exempt from part of the cost of a BR order, but you would still have to pay a fee. Many people use their credit card. Call your local court to find out how much it costs.

• Haha 1

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

Thankyou so much Tom:D

your advice has been invaluable x

Definitely no chance of the Official Receiver taking the settee, or any furniture for that matter (unless she has a house full of very valuable antiques ;)).

The court/judge would ask her who she had taken advice from regarding bankruptcy, and as tomterm8 suggests National Debtline, CCCS, PayPlan or CAB are normally fantastic.

Income support is one of the benefits that will allow her to apply for full remission of the £150 fee to the court.

See: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex160a.pdf for the proofs required.

However, she would still need to find £335 for the Official Receiver's deposit, payable in cash to the court on the day.

As tomterm8 says, many people do end up withdrawing the cash on a card to find the fee. While technically this is a bad thing to do, the vast majority of the OR's turn a blind eye to that if it is clear that you had no other way to raise the funds.

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thankyou both it's really put my mind at rest.

If the bank convinced her into taking 'managed' consolidation loans There may be a light at the end of the tunnel as these loans may be unenforceable & some monies already paid recoverable

It's a long one but I suggest you take the time to read the below thread & if necessary contact Gizmo the mod who knows about these loans

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/15457-who-has-had-managed.html?highlight=Managed+Loans

Bankruptcy is not the panacea that some claim & if at all possible to be avoided

Bankruptcy is not the panacea that some claim & if at all possible to be avoided

I don't think anyone does claim that.:o

(Unless you count the "dubious" companies that charge you a fortune to help you with it. They are vultures. :rolleyes:)

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

fermi I do & it's the company that the OP was about to pay £500 to

Not wanting to have a pointless argument but too many (even on here) do suggest bankruptcy as a solution when they shouldn't. Despite what sometimes claimed it will follow you around for years to come & affect your life in ways you may know nothing about - being refused for certain jobs for example

fermi I do & it's the company that the OP was about to pay £500 to

Not wanting to have a pointless argument but too many (even on here) do suggest bankruptcy as a solution when they shouldn't. Despite what sometimes claimed it will follow you around for years to come & affect your life in ways you may know nothing about - being refused for certain jobs for example

I agree, and it was that company (and others like it) that I was referring to here.:wink:

(Unless you count the "dubious" companies that charge you a fortune to help you with it. They are vultures. :rolleyes:)

Sorry that wasn't clear. There is no argument here.

Bankruptcy is something that you should only undertake once you have had professional and impartial advice that it is in you own best interests. Even then it is a serious undertaking.

Despite what sometimes claimed it will follow you around for years to come & affect your life in ways you may know nothing about - being refused for certain jobs for example

I don't think I was recommending bankruptcy, merely advising the OP to seek preofessional and free help if that is an option they are considering.

There can be other methods to solve your problems. Sometimes with debts of £12,000 you can arrange F&FS of far less than £1,000 if you are on long term benefits without property.

tom don't be so sensitive.

No one was accusing YOU of recommending bankruptcy: I was merely stating that there have been occasions, both here & elsewhere, when contributors have recommended bankruptcy as if it's some sort of panacea which of course it isn't as many people, including an awful lot of ex students, are finding out to their great cost

In fact it occurs to me that perhaps the site could have a sticky! where the benefits & more importantly the pitfalls of bankruptcy are explained to members who are considering it as a means of solving their problems

An additional thread could be started alongside where members could discuss their experiences & knowledge of bankruptcy

In fact it occurs to me that perhaps the site could have a sticky! where the benefits & more importantly the pitfalls of bankruptcy are explained to members who are considering it as a means of solving their problems

And vise versa. A lot of what the general public "know" about bankruptcy (or insolvency) and it's consequences is based upon myth and hearsay. Both the benefits and disadvantages are misunderstood by many.

I'm curious what you mean about "students", but I'd rather not divert this thread from the OP's situation with an extended discussion here.

My daughter has just gone down the bankruptcy road, and for her it was the best option, rented house, no assets, will never work again because of her health. The only thing that I would advice is that the tenancy agreement is read. Nothing was mentioned in my daughters agreement about bankruptcy and she had always paid her rent and as long as she continues to pay her rent there will be no problems. We used this site and The National Debtline for advice and support. Its daunting but the peace of mind it has brought my daughter is worth it. The OR thinks it will be discharged as soon as he has completed all his paperwork (he says this could take up to 8 months)

Just offering support

Thankyou all for your input and I have followed your thread sister and think in the light of everything you've done extremely well.:)

I am going to see my friend armed with all the advice given and let it be her decision passing her onto national debtline's the best course of action.

One thing which get's me really angry is this particular Bank when I've looked through some of the paperwork again the last two loans applied where done so knowing at that stage she was living solely on benefits because all benefits were being paid into that account.I know it's equally her fault but when is borrowing large amounts of money to people who clearly can't pay it back going to stop from the Banks?

And vise versa. A lot of what the general public "know" about bankruptcy (or insolvency) and it's consequences is based upon myth and hearsay. Both the benefits and disadvantages are misunderstood by many.

I'm curious what you mean about "students", but I'd rather not divert this thread from the OP's situation with an extended discussion here.

Simple - it's widely known that until recently many students were opting for bankruptcy as a means of escaping their debts/loans that they had accumulated whilst at UNIV.

As a result many who did go that route are now finding that they are being rejected for jobs they thought were theirs by right because of their degrees Many not realising that being made bankrupt at any time can be a bar to say a career in law or accountancy to name but two

• Haha 1

Simple - it's widely known that until recently many students were opting for bankruptcy as a means of escaping their debts/loans that they had accumulated whilst at UNIV.

As a result many who did go that route are now finding that they are being rejected for jobs they thought were theirs by right because of their degrees Many not realising that being made bankrupt at any time can be a bar to say a career in law or accountancy to name but two

I see. Well, if someone with a degree in law or accountancy doesn't have the wherewithal to check whether bankruptcy is likely to prejudice their future career, then I not sure I would hold out much hope for that career anyway.:rolleyes:

Those are two of the major areas where bankruptcy on your record can be a major no-no.

Any professional advisor who doesn't inform someone of those restrictions should think about a career change as well.:shock:

• 1 month later...

has she considered a IVA - insolvency voluntary agreement? I hear these things can drastically reduce whole sums and payments.. but she has to have sums close to 15,000 in the re, something that my friend pinky is not. I was looking aorund for ways to help my pinks and came across this IVA. Not helpful for her - only £6,000 but for you it might be an option.

Caz1974 stated that their friend's only income is benefits.

If that is still the case then it is unlikely that an IVA would be appropriate or even possible.