Gas Meter Records Inside Info?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am unable to change supplier because my gas meter record is incorrect. I've been trying to get this sorted for some time. Does anyone know who keeps the meter records? Is it one company nationally responsible or is it split amongst a number of companies? I've got Energywatch involved but it's proving to be awfully slow and bureaucratic. My usual approach in a situation like this is to get in touch with a board member of the company giving me the problem. In this case I can't find out who does what never mind find out names of directors. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

I am sorry I dont quite understand, the usual reason that would be why you cannot change companies is that there is an unpaid bill, can you elaborate further please.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

To change suppliers you need the meter point reference number to be correct. I know mine is mixed up with the property next door. Until it's sorted I can't move. I've tried.

ahh now I understand,

MPRN (M number, Meter Point Reference Number)

MPRN: Each property in the UK that has a mains gas supply has an MPRN and in some circumstances more than one MPRN. The MPRN is unique to the property and does not change if you change supplier or even if you move.

Sometimes the MPRN is referred to as a M Number or Meter Point Reference Number

Your MPRN should be printed on a recent gas bill. Most suppliers print the MPRN on either the first page of their gas bills or the reverse of the front page.

Your MPRN should not be confused with your gas supplier account number or the meter serial number printed on the meter itself. Some very recent gas meter installations have the MPRN clearly identified on the meter itself although this practice is however quite rare.

The format of a MPRN is quite standard and consists of between 6 and 10 numerical digits only.

If the MPRN starts with 74 or 75 then you should be aware that gas is piped to your property by an Independent Gas Transporter. This may have an adverse effect on the price you pay for gas as some gas suppliers charge a premium rate to customers served by an Independent Gas Transporter.

If your MPRN is not printed on a recent gas bill or if have just moved into your home and do not yet have a gas bill, you can find out your MPRN by:

• Calling Tranco's MPRN helpline on 0870 608 1524 (Transco can only provide details of MPRNs that do not belong to Independent Gas Transporters)

or

• Download, print off, sign and return the MPRN request you will find here

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

To expand on the posts by other users, you need to call the National Grid - or whatever they call themselves these days - on 0870 608 1524. They are the authority on who supplies which address, and will be able to confirm your supplier, plus give you the correct Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN).

I've tried phoning that number. It's an automated service at 14p a minute.

When I input my details it goes ape and says it can't deal with me. You then get a message "transferring you to an agent" followed by a message "all our agents our busy call again goodbye" . You would then have to start all again at 14p a minute without any guarantee of sorting the problem

Hi, I am unable to change supplier because my gas meter record is incorrect. I've been trying to get this sorted for some time. Does anyone know who keeps the meter records? Is it one company nationally responsible or is it split amongst a number of companies? I've got Energywatch involved but it's proving to be awfully slow and bureaucratic. My usual approach in a situation like this is to get in touch with a board member of the company giving me the problem. In this case I can't find out who does what never mind find out names of directors. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Just goto Companies House to find out the names of the Directors.

Just tried to bypass the 0870 number and failed. One of the numbers on the saynoto0870 is wrong and the switchboard say the only point of contact is the 0870 number.

Your current supplier should be able to get that info for you, especially as you are attempting a change of supply.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

Your current supplier should be able to get that info for you, especially as you are attempting a change of supply.

I've tried my current supplier they fobbed me off with the National Grid 0870 number. If I haven't got anywhere by Monday I'm going on the warpath. Any inside information would be most welcome. Who does what when the records are clearly wrong isn't explained anywhere that I can find.

Current supplier is Npower. I have raised a higher level of complaint via Energywatch but it's all so agonisingly S-L-O-W. I will be chasing the person at Npower who is supposed to be dealing with it today, but although i've got a contact name I don't have a direct dial phone number or an individual email address.

• 1 month later...

hi.

i don't know if you have managed to sort this out yet... but this is the exact same problem that i am having.

i have called npower and told them i will not be paying any bills until this is looked at - surprisingly (or not) they will be out to see the metre in a week and check the numbers themselves.

i will then be changing supplier - npower are awful.

Hiya, stardust is right - am going through this with my electricity and have been told if there is a mix up with the ref no you should check your bills - they could have been mixed up at any point - paying each others bills and viceversa! Apparently, when a meter reader takes his reading it is then goes through the National Grid register 1st - if the addresses are mixed up there, the readings can be too. If you feel your bill has been strange at any time since being with N power I would check it out. I made BG re-calculate 5 years worth of bills, they almost done me out of £600 ish!

It is your suppliers responsibility to update the National Grid if there is a discrepancy - tell them your next step will be the energy ombudsman if they dont pull the finger out. If you have been bangin your head with N power for more than 8 weeks, give the ombudsman a call - it should help.

Good luck!

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

oddly with mine (and going back through all bills) the readings were and are correct (i am quite anal - in that as soon as i get a bill i also write down my figures next to theirs!). so i am lucky that i haven't been over charged anywhere.

my biggest problem is that i cannot change supplier until they register the correct ref number, and i am now getting quite desperate to switch to Ebico. why line the fatcats pockets any more then we already do?!

Hey, anal is good! Which I had been when I was younger, would be a lot better of financially now lol.

Relief that you are happy your bills are yours, you have avoided a right rigmarole. It should be your suppliers responsibility to update any discrepancies. You could try telling them that they are actually preventing you from going to a cheaper supplier, leaving you at a financial disadvantage which you are happy to bill them for - maybe they might shift the proverbial then lol

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Well I've got nowhere with my original complaint so I emailed Kevin Miles, managing director of Npower domestic supply. I received a same day reply from a lady in "Executive Complaints". At least she did understand what the situation is and what needs to be done to fix it. Whether "Executive Complaints" turns out to be another fob off I shall have to wait and see. Next stop will be the Energy Ombudsman.

• 6 months later...

what happened?

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

• 7 months later...

It's taken me 18 months to resolve this problem. I couldn't update this thread in the meantime as I took it to the Energy Ombudsman in November 2008. In December 2008 I got a provisional ruling made by a junior "Ombudsman". This ruling was so wishy washy and in my opinion biased in favour of Npower that I rejected it. Instead I sent a page of A4 of carefully thought out counter proposals. Nothing happened for 6 months because my proposals had to go before the actual ombudsman who was deluged with work. The ombudsman agreed to all my proposals except the penalty time-scale I drew up should Npower drag their feet again. The compensation I was awarded was double what the provisional ruling offered but in no way compensated me for the time and effort I had expended.

Even after the ombudsman had ruled Npower tried to screw up by not following the ruling exactly. With the power of ombudsman's ruling behind me I was able to sort them out with a couple of crisp phone calls.

With the benefit of hindsight if I ever come across such poor customer service again from a utility company I think I would issue a LBA after a reasonable time and go through the small claims court. Your mileage may vary.