Why others but not me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't understand the latest council tax banding appeal system. When I tried to appeal against my banding, the rules seemed to be that unless you have moved to a new house in the last six months or unless your house has recently been assessed you cannot appeal.

I was turned down despite the fact that I have a really good case. My neighbours houses are both extended like mine. One neighbour has a loft extension, conservatory and a bungalow in her back garden (which she has passed off as an outhouse to avoid planning but that is another story...). The other neighbour has exactly the same extension as we do (just a rear extension which goes around the side of the house). Yet both these houses are in a lower band than mine. It's really annoying and I didn't think I could do anything about it seeing as I was turned down about three years ago.

Has the law changed since then?

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in wales and had an extension before the 1st April 2005 and you neighbours had their extensions after the 1st April 2005 you will be charged for yours but their banding will not change until the house is sold or if a new revaluation takes place. If in England if they have lived in thier properties for years and they have extended it and you moved in when the property had been extended you will have to pay and they wont. It doesn't seem fair but that is the way it works. If you all had your extensions about the same time you should all be paying same if your properties are the same size and value.

You cannot appeal, sorry but they wont let you. But you can have a band review, you can ring or write to the valuation office give them all the information and they will look into your band for you.