speeding ticket - it wasn't me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I sold my car to my Dad about 18 months ago – the V5 was posted to the DVLA – I then moved house and thought no more of it.

About 6 months later I received a letter telling me I’d been caught speeding (it was my dad, the photo was quite clear and I was at work in London 200 miles away). The letter stated that I needed to provide either my license and the fine or details of who was driving the car…unfortunate by the time I had got this letter due to moving etc this was already 3 months overdue.

I called the officer who was dealing with the matter and explained that I wasn’t the driver and my dad was – he said he’d send me a form to my new address to fill and say who was driving the car – I did this and again assumed the matter closed.

In December I received a letter from the courts telling me I was due I court for not providing the information – 3 points and £120 fine…thing is again it was overdue as it was forwarded late – I’d actually missed the court date by a month by the time I got wind of this.

Now what do I do?

I can only assume that I the first instance the DVLA didn’t get the change of keeper info (we have now called them and changed this to my dad)…I did supply the info the police asked for but I don’t have proof of this (it was over 6 months ago)

Do I have to pay this fine and get points? I don’t think this is fair as I wasn’t driving and I did fill in the form they asked me to.

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

I would go to court and give your testimony. The police will look stupid.

HOWEVER

In future whenever you post documents of an important nature like this, use SPECIAL DELIVERY. It is the ONLY way to GUARANTEE delivery. At least if you had a proof of posting proforma you would clearly have better proof than this...

I was given to understand however that if a Notice of Intended Prosecution does not reach you by the fifteenth day after the Offence, there is no case to answer... but I cannot be sure.

i think the 15 day rule exists but it did get to the address that was stated by the DVLA which i had moved from so i guess thats irrelevant.

how do i give a testimony?

hi, sorry - but as the date set has long sinse passed how do i get another court date?

can i write to them with the facts and wait for a response (recorded delivery of course)

I don't know - i would assume yes as its normally just automatic points and fine...

..i don't knwo how to find out and as the address deatisl they have are wrong its very hard to track letters etc.

You will need to contact the court that advised you of the fine and penalty points and you will need to go through the process of having the conviction set aside. You should be able to get this done as you did not receive the summons and you should be able to explain this to the court.