• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having just sorted my own problems out with this shower, my friend has called this morning in tears.

Her weekly payments are 26.99, due tommorow. However, because she has just separated from her partner (who has left her high and dry) she has had to make a claim for benefits this morning. She rang the store and explained her financial situation and told them that she cannot pay the money tommorow. You want to know what they said? ' Go for a crisis loan and you'll be able to pay us!'

Now, for anyone who knows about crisis loans, they don't pay out a great deal and to be quite honest, she's got her baby to feed at the end of the day.

She is not in a position to borrow the money and unfortunately, I'm not in a position to lend it her as I have a payment to make myself.

She has been a regular payer and no one can predict a change of circumstances. She rang them and was straight with them, told them she wasn't ignoring it and that she would ensure once the benefits agency has sorted out her claim, she will be paying it but again, unfortunately, the benefits agency can take a while sometimes.

She hasn't got access to the internet hence why I'm posting.

Sadly, she knows what I've been through with them and is panicking. Obviously I can't prevent the store from ringing her up 24/7 but in all honesty, it will be a few weeks before she is straight and on her feet again. The manager bullied her in to lending the money, even stating that she could borrow from other agents, personal loans etc, you know the ones ( don't know whether I can mention them so I won't)

Why the hell and what gives Brighthouse the rights to canvass other loan shark companies just so they get paid! It is %%%%%%%% disgusting.

This would put her in to more debt obviously!

She is with another company whom she rents a TV off via meter. They have been fantastic about her situation as she is a good customer as she has been with Brighthouse.

Stories like this infuriate me but don't surprise me. :mad:

Hard to advise what to do with this one...

Firstly, a crisis loan is for a crisis - NOT a way to pay Brighthouse. That is disgraceful! The store manager should definitely not have suggested that!:mad:

£26.99 per week will knock a big hole in her weekly benefit when it finally comes through! She may like to consider doing as you did and return any items not absolutely necessary?

I think I would write to head office (copied to store) and explain the circumstances and try asking for an account freeze for a couple of weeks. She needs to make it very clear that she has every intention of keeping to her agreement, but by adding penalty charges to her account will cause genuine hardship.

How far into the agreement(s) is she?

Does she have the optional service cover?

Assuming she is past the one third point (meaning Brighthouse would need a court order to repossess) she should ingore all telephone calls and not let them into her home if they call.

I would have thought her claim for benefit will come through quickly enough if there is genuine hardship.

Keep us posted - and keep your friend well informed of her rights.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Hi Lefty

Thanks for your reply. She has felt the need to borrow the cash and go in with it tommorow. ( she can't be doing with the hassle of the phone calls and who can blame her) Anyway, she rang the store yesterday (sat) and told them she was bringing the payment Monday morning. The manager stated that she now has to pay two weeks???????? As she explained, it will probably be the end of the week until her benefits are sorted out? Why have they done this and asked for two weeks when they know damn well she is scrimping to pay Saturdays???? Well, why I've asked that question I don't know because they did it to me! :rolleyes:

She can't take any items back Lefty because they are much needed ones.

I printed off your optional service cover info so I'll help her do that.

She got her goods in August 2006 and has never missed a payment until now.

Either way, we'll sort it out. They put people through all this when at the end of the day, those who are NOT refusing to pay them, there is always something that can be done one way or the other so why they cause people this stress is beyond me. I'm going in with her tommorow and shes taking the Saturdays payment in. I've known them to refuse a payment if you don't take the two weeks in, they did this to me as well. :(

As I've mentioned on another post about Brighthouse - if possible can you canvass your local Freecycle groups for items - its surprising what comes up - everything from pianos to plant pots and particularly kitchen stuff... tvs are also frequently advertised.

Childrens school uniforms are also featured heavily - my nephew grew so fast one year he only wore a pair of trousers for three weeks -

That is an alternative to these sharks, I think particularly in the case of the rented TV she is better off trying to get one on Freecycle. They are on Yahoo groups on the Internet sorted by area (within London it's by borough, so you can choose the areas near you).

As an example my sister got a metal bunk bed, the type with a double futon sofa underneath and a single bed on top from Freecycle, it was in excellent condition, similar item in Brighthouse was £20 per week with a total price of £450 (is listed as £250 in Argos at the moment). I got rid of a load of unwanted towels and some books are going on there next week, along with a deep fat fryer and slow cooker which are no longer needed.

If more people realised that Freecycle ISNT about getting rid of broken stuff and more about passing on items which are being replaced shops such as Brighthouse would be loosing business hand over fist. They are nothing

• 1 year later...

Sorry to put a damper on freecycle. But from our past experience most of freecycle stuff is given away in good faith as to being used again. But about 95% of the stuff given (electrical stuff I.E. Computer, T.V. Video recorders, hoovers) are ready for the skip anyway. So contrary to you getting something good for free. You are giving them a free skip service for goods that belong in a skip.

But on the bright side the remaining 5% that do give good items away. Maybe the ones your lucky enough to have dealings with.

Good luck!

"...But about 95% of the stuff (electrical stuff I.E. Computer, T.V. Video recorders, hoovers) are ready for the skip anyway. ..."

Sounds just like the BrightHouse "Quality Refurbished" range to me! :D

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

News update! :!:

Freecycle and Brighthouse have algimated today in response to customer care services being re-regulated.

Now the company call themselves "FreeHouse" not to be confused with the general public facility of the same name.

They have opened up a few stores in your local high street in a national grand opening, by no other than one of their famous store managers (Crazy George) himself. This is in sponsership with Judge Judy and the decision is final.

Let the hammer fall! LOL :lol:

hi not sure if this is the place to write,but I read loads on here today and I feel sick., I have items from BH and have done for one year. Last year I was pregnant and very unwell. My stress began with this company as my partner was made unemployed,we kept the payments up as best as we could and then I went into a stress related labour due to calls and harrasement at the door. I got so bad that I dare not leave the living room until late at night. Eventually I had my daughter and she died three days later. My partner went in to discuss the matter and they renewed the agreement, we thought this was really good of them, until every time we went to pay there were charges. I asked and was given a load of gibberish about late payments. We are not late I told them. They ignored and we paid and then I got really mad one day at how rude one of the staff was and demanded to know why it was costing me so much....well she said when you renewed you agreement you should have paid two weeks then and you only paid one>>> I am now suffering panic attacks and I am so scared every time we are a day late,which we cannot help as we are now on benefits...I feel sick as I have a partner who is out of work, a dead child,we were burgled whilst I was in hospital haemorrhaging and my father died and BH...couldn't care less.. I wish I had never got involved with this company.

Why is not clear to people that all they need to do to stop any harrisment or get calls to their door, is to tell B/H in a written a letter. Stating clearly what your wishes are (Be Blunt but not rude) and you should find that B/H are fine with you. They should be amicable enough to continue communication via letters (like they have with us). Remember that B/H staff are not gods or above the law, they are just people. Simples! :D

hi

well we have tried that and let me tell you you must be a lucky one. They might just be people and not gods as you say but they are not very compassionate. You make it sound so clear. I was married for 15 years to a solicitor and he even struggles with the way they have dealt with us. They take no notice when you write/call. You have no idea of how they have dealt with us.. I'm never rude,and try my hardest to understand people,but I have not found them to be likewise.

I wrote on our situation,death of my child,father,burglary,and unemployment I have kept up payments and am in arrears two weeks and they have called me constantly,knocked my door and approached my neighbor,who thankfully knows the situation with them as he saw first hand the state of me and what they do to you. I was burgled during hospital treatment(hemorrhaging after loosing my daughter) and they took my washing machine and cooker(bleeps) so I had to get them from BH and so the story begins...

so sorry to hear about your friend..

Oh, Emptyarms, my heart goes out to you. I am so very, very sorry about the loss of your baby.

You absolutely don't need to put up with all of this. Tomorrow I will put up the links to the harassment letter and also the letter telling them they have no legal right to call on you if you revoke that right.

It appears you are in touch with your ex (the solicitor). Can't he help you here?

Big hug,

DDxxx

he is my ex and so I don't tell him everything,but he saw the state of me over them and he went on line to read about them. He did warn me but we were desperate. They are awful. I cannot believe that people work for them and do things they do. When you open an account they are so friendly and helpful. I must admit though that I was put out when I was paying for a couple of weeks before we received the items. When I questioned that they were a little unfriendly. Cannot wait to finish them and say goodbye.

thank you for your reply..

Hi! Empty arms. If this helps ....write to the person we got our reply from, agreeing to let us just communicate via letters only and respecting our wish to stop all phone calls or threats to come to our house.

The reason we have made this point clear is that they have never said a wrong word to us. Anyway.......the address is as follows if it helps.......

Julie Kothari

BrightHouse.

5, Hercules way,

Leavsden Park,

Watford.

Hertfordshire.

WD25 7GS

If you are being threatened by doorstep collections, send the following to any DCA, and also print out a couple of copies to keep by the front door, and if anyone turns up hand them a copy and shut the door.

Please be advised that under OFT rules you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment, and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied licence under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission: the postman and people asking for directions, etc. (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd (1959) 2 QB per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke licence under Common Law for you or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken including, but not limited to, police attendance.

As you have been given this notice, should your representative then come to my property and cause any embarrassment which results in financial loss to me you will also be liable for damages.

• 3 weeks later...
"...But about 95% of the stuff (electrical stuff I.E. Computer, T.V. Video recorders, hoovers) are ready for the skip anyway. ..."

Sounds just like the BrightHouse "Quality Refurbished" range to me! :D

Cheers

Lefty

PMSL, even the skip would of refused my reconditioned acer laptop from brighthouse :eek: