• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

UKWebgirl V Nationwide

ukwebgirl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all of you here at the Nationwide Action Group. I'm really pleased to join you here but also pretty daunted. I was directed to this site a couple of days ago and am ready to take on Nationwide (and others-one step at a time) to reclaim what's mine. Will post regularly as case progresses and of course when satisfied I will be donating to the site.

ukwg

X

Nationwide Data Protection Act Subject Access Request sent 6/7/06

Statements received well within the 40 day deadline

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Standard reply received 21/8/06

Letter Before Action sent 24/08/06

moneyclaim on line submitted 9/9/06

PAID SAT 1ST OCTOBER :D

Thank you. love username stuffthebanks.

I intend to. There is so much great support on here.. gives me confidence to proceed.

ukwg

X

Prelim sent 8/8/06

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, getting my act together:

6th July Data Protection Subject Access Request letter sent s/b here by 15th Aug

14th July Confirmation of Parachute Account (Nationwide Step Account) opened

14th July Confirmation of Subject Access Request received at Nationwide

Sue Taylor

Data Protection Administrator

Nationwide Building Society

Kings Park Road

Moulton Park

Northampton

NN3 6NW

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Thanks cillitbanger! to you and all the decent folk on here. Its a great feeling to be taking control back off the banks.. I have been telling absolutely everyone I know (and even some I don't know) about this. I feel it's my duty.

ukwg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Hi,

Sorry, just let me check where you have opened your parachute account - you have send it is a Nationwide Step Account...do you mean Nat West? Just checking as Nationwide will close down all your acounts.

Have you any idea roughly of how much you are looking to claim back? Nationwide seem to follow a pretty rigid procedure though whereas as soon as you file Moneyclaim you will be refunded within a week or so.

:)

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Dolly. Sorry I did indeed mean Nat West Step account which I have been using for a couple of weeks now. Seems to be a good account and used to internet banking etc.

You mentioned that the Nationwide will close all my accounts... Well, firstly the account in question which I am claiming back charges from (flex account) was closed by Nationwide in 2005. Due to non payment of charges which escalated to over £600. This came about when a bank charge took me £2.83 overdrawn and then several DD' failed and I was then hit by charges of £180 in one month.

The charges upon charges and unauthorised overdraft fees (you get the picture by now) led me to being over £600 overdrawn.

The bank took it upon themselves to close my account wiping out the £600 I was overdrawn by. At the time I was relieved as they had wiped out the £600 meaning I didn't have to pay it but at the same time really peed off as I'd had the account for almost 20 years to the day.

However (and back to my point) I do have various other savings and cashbuilder accounts with Nationwide (altho not a great deal in them). Are you suggesting they will close these accounts too??

As far as how much I am claiming back... well, the charges amount to around £2600 over the 6 years and I will of course deduct the £600 which I did not have to pay.. leaving a tidy sum of around £2000.

BTW My statements arrived almost 2 weeks before the 40 day deadline, was quite surprised (tho pleased) about that.

Just getting my head around what I need to do next. Methinks:

Send the preliminary letter requesting money back (14 days to respond) then,

Send LBA (another 14 days) then, file claim.

Any comments would be most welcome.

(forgot final step.. gets money back, pays 5%? to CAG to say thanks and to support all their good work and heads off into the sunset for a nice holiday and a well deserved celebratory drink!)

Best wishes.

ukwg

XX

PS> sorry for the long delay in replying to your comments Dolly and thanks for your time.

Prelim sent 8/8/06

bump

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Hiya

They will close your cashbuilder accounts and savings accounts - they closed my ISA and my e-savings but they didn't close my childrens accounts even though they said that they were going to.

You are completely right in what you have to do next, remeber to send them by recorded delivery.

Keep us updated, you'll have your money back in no time :)

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

• 2 weeks later...

Received standard 'we won't be refunding you/our charges are transparent/you agreed to this when you signed up' letter from Nationwide yesterday. My letter before action is ready to go as soon as 14 days is up.

I have to say this really is a godsend this site. I know exactly what to expect and what to do thanks to you guys. Has definitely made it all less daunting.

Cheers

ukwg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Thank you and same goes for you kydcarmen.. will keep you posted.

ukwg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Sent LBA today c/o Deborah Desborough (you couldn't make it up) at Member Account Servicing, 1st Floor Electra House, Farnsby Street, Swindon SN2 1SR

telephone number FYI is 01793 712 603

ukwg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of quick questions of anyone here is able to help please.

Firstly my LBA 14 day deadline is fast approaching and I just wanted to make sure that the next step is making my claim against Nationwide on the moneyclaim site (have already registered)??

Secondly, my flex account was closed in 2005. Does anyone know if Nationwide will pay my claim into my cashbuilder account (still open) or have they been known to send a cheque.

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

ukwg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Thanks for the speedy response kydcarmen. Looking forward to putting my claim in. Seems to have been a long waiting game so far.

As always best of luck with your claim. By all accounts you should be celebrating in a matter of days..

Best wishes,

ukwg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Posted my money claim online today.. Seems like everything has gone according to plan so far and now I wait.

Fingers (and everything else) crossed.

Hoping to report some good news soon.

ukwg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

kydcarmen

Thanks and yours will be on its way very soon i'm sure.

alisarah

no advice other than the waiting for the statements is probably the hardest (longest) bit. Once you've got that its pretty straightforward. Also good idea to start your own thread and you can ask any spcific questions you have. As you've prbably already seen there are many on here ready and willing to answer your queries.

Just read all the forums, study and understand the templates and follow the stages step by step and you'll be fine.

Good luck and best wishes.

ukwebgirl

Prelim sent 8/8/06

hi I'm at the last stage of claiming against them and it has been annoying.I sent all my letters then left it for a while.Then i tried contacting the banking ombudsmen.

i received a letter back from nationwide saying they are still not going to give me anything back.

well we will see about that i have just ordered the small claims pack.Will keep you informed of what is happening.Any advice is welcome.

good luck to everyone

Mmm, papers served and acknowledged... Charles Bacon is to defend claim. I think this is standard procedure but can someone please confirm this for me.

Also not sure if its 14 days or 28 days from my money claim online till payday. Going to read through all posts again to seeif I can find the answers but in the meantime if anyone can help???

ukwbg

Prelim sent 8/8/06

Standard procedure.

Payday will be in about 10 days or less :)

Thanks for that Dolly.

You are a valuable member of this site.

Thanks and looking forward to giving back to the site.

ukwbg

ps. oh and a nice celebratory drink but trying not to count my chickens and all that.....

Prelim sent 8/8/06