• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Child Support Agency

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i need some advice about this ridiculously run outfit , febraury 2007 (bear this in mind i recieved a letter from them saying it wasnt going to commence until march 2007) i had an attachment of earnings slapped on me for alledged arrears , i didnt owe them nothing as it was there fault in the first place , to my understanding arrears have to be collected with a 52 week period , now i worked out exactly how much i payed them from the 1st feb 2007 until the 18th feb 2008 , i have 2 ex partners with 4 children (2 a piece but i only pay for 3 as one is 18) one of my ex`s has been underpaid or not paid at all her allocation , whilst the other has been paid well over her allocation , now a week ago i got another letter from the pathetic csa slapping another attachment of earnings with even more arrears added , the one ex partner that has been underpayed i am now in arrears with and the one that has been overpayed i am in arrears with , like i said i worked out exactly how much i paid over that period , i know exactly how much arrears i have payed and now i have overpayed them , i know exactly how much each partner should of getting over that period , one was underpayed and the other was overpayed so now i want the attachment of earnings stopped as to previous to them originally starting it they were payed by standing order the correct amount for each ex partner every week , i have no problems with paying for my children at all but i do take exception to being ripped off , incidentally when they originally took the first attachment of earnings they also took the standing order out of my bank the same day in which they refused to refund but all thats been added into the total , 3 weeks i rung them up and asked if they could answer my questions , after being on hold for 20 minutes and taliking to some chap i was giving another number to ring ( yep passed from pillar to post as usual) so i rung this number and after half an hr of being told i dont have access to that information you require she said i will have the back office to ring you back ... still waiting , 2 weeks ago i sat and drafted up a letter to them requested that under the data protection act 1998 and the freedom of information act 2000 that all information regarding my cases be released to me within 21 days , being honest i am totally fed as its been 4 years non stop stupidity from these people , the day i posted that letter was the same day i recieved that new attachment of earnings , i want that stopped and basically i want the csa sorted once and for all , to me they are that disorganised their left hand doesnt know what their right hand is doing if i was that incompetant in my job i would be unemployed its as simple as that.

i do apologise if i have posted this in the wrong section , i couldnt see where else to post it , any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as i am willing to push this as far as i can as i know they are totally at fault.

can you remember when it took them 2yr to sort out the payments from HIM for the other 3 (standing joke sorry its like the brady bunch his 4 and my 3 :eek:;) ) i got no joy from the csa whatsoever and eventually had to involve our local M.P. Just wondered if you get no joy this time (which i in all honesty and obviously hope you do) would it be worth contacting the local M.P ??

honey xxx

I'm pleased to say my involvment with these idiots is over however, when i was going through the same i got myself sorted by following their complaint proceedure and requesting a 'one on one'. This was quickly arranged and i went to a meeting in the local DSS offices. I took someone with me and she 'took minutes' which i got the CSA bloke to sign to say they were correct etc....

He went away and my case was quickly sorted.

Hope this helps

(i had an AOE dropped within days and taken money refunded......)

Halifax

Beaten twice!

Aktiv capital default

Removed!

Thames Credit default

Removed!

Barclaycard Default

Removed!

Welcome Finance PPI

Paid in full after LBA

Ex-wifes Barclays

Beaten!

your right there they are a bunch of idiots , just spent most of this afternoon working all the maths out for the past year and was laughing at the conclusion apparantly one of my exs is owed a considerable sum of money through there incompetance , i recieved another attachment of earnings 2 weeks ago just after i sent my letter off to them , now i was alledgly in the arrears through their incompetance , now as far as i am aware arrears is paid off within a year this is now 56 weeks later and now they started another but the funniest thing is they made allocations for both ex`s they got there money via AOE and now i find they are saying i am arrears with the other ex , cant see how they work that out , if they are getting the money by AOE every week and if they paid that set allocation i cant possibly be in arrears , this has been going on for 4 yrs now and i will finish it this year as enoughs enough , i understand that not many legal people will take this on , not sure why they are a cowboy outfit just funded by the government that need closed down , sorry honey5 i cant go to an mp as i find they only want to know to get your vote instead of doing it for the right reasons after all it isnt just absent fathers they mess about its th parent left with the children as well , i am a firm believer in paying for your children as any absent parent should do , but at the same time we are all entitled to a life , i could just say why should i bother , pack in work and wont have to pay anything well a fiver a month instead of being left with the minimum to live on , thanks for your input blanchie14c i will try that one if i get no joy with the data protection act 1998 and the freedom of information act 2000 letter i sent to them 2 weeks ago.

sorry honey5 i cant go to an mp as i find they only want to know to get your vote instead of doing it for the right reasons after

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sunday names on a friday ;):D

they cant force you to vote, no one can, did you see me run along the road to vote /me thinks not

its a government run mess so therefore the mp will help as they cant be seen not too, after two yrs of them chasing jack for money (he was what??? 9 at the time) it was our local mp that sorted it ( theyd only put his CB number in instead of their fathers NI number) you may aswell get on a train and go up to falkirk yourself, be cheaper than all the phone calls youll have to make

honey x

My Local MP was going to be my next port of call if i failed on my own so worth bearing in mind....

In the end their incompitence was their own down fall, not only were they taking the incorrect amount from my wages, but they were not passing it on to my ex-wife. In the end my ex and i came to an agreement ourselves and i have paid her like that ever since. Based on the CSA calculations i transfer the cash from my bank to hers via the internet. She wrote them a letter informing them of our arrangement and they finally left me alone! (don't forget to increase the amount when you get a pay rise) Since this took place 2 years ago, i have nothing but the upmost respect for my ex-wife for the job she has, and continues to do with my 2 boys. everything has now settled down to the point where we consider each other as best friends now! why wasn't it like that when we were married god only knows! life eh?

This arrangement only works if both parties keep to the agreement, and remember child maintainance is NOT a contact bargaining tool....

That's not aimed at anyone here, just a reminder to anyone reading, its not like a loan or credit card, you can't skip a month etc...

Good luck to the OP, keep us updated

blanchie

Halifax

Beaten twice!

Aktiv capital default

Removed!

Thames Credit default

Removed!

Barclaycard Default

Removed!

Welcome Finance PPI

Paid in full after LBA

Ex-wifes Barclays

Beaten!

just noticed a reference to my ex-wife in my sig, so after all i've just said, i'd better remove it! :rolleyes:

Halifax

Beaten twice!

Aktiv capital default

Removed!

Thames Credit default

Removed!

Barclaycard Default

Removed!

Welcome Finance PPI

Paid in full after LBA

Ex-wifes Barclays

Beaten!

My Local MP was going to be my next port of call if i failed on my own so worth bearing in mind....

In the end their incompitence was their own down fall, not only were they taking the incorrect amount from my wages, but they were not passing it on to my ex-wife. In the end my ex and i came to an agreement ourselves and i have paid her like that ever since. Based on the CSA calculations i transfer the cash from my bank to hers via the internet. She wrote them a letter informing them of our arrangement and they finally left me alone! (don't forget to increase the amount when you get a pay rise) Since this took place 2 years ago, i have nothing but the upmost respect for my ex-wife for the job she has, and continues to do with my 2 boys. everything has now settled down to the point where we consider each other as best friends now! why wasn't it like that when we were married god only knows! life eh?

This arrangement only works if both parties keep to the agreement, and remember child maintainance is NOT a contact bargaining tool....

That's not aimed at anyone here, just a reminder to anyone reading, its not like a loan or credit card, you can't skip a month etc...

Good luck to the OP, keep us updated

blanchie

I totally agree with the above, I had loads of hassle with the csa, Got my ex to ring them and tell them we had arranged it between ourselves, I now pay via standing order each month. Loads easier and alot less hassle

The views expressed on this website are mine alone and don't reflect the views of my employer!

• 2 months later...

sounds very much like my case flymo1966 apart from am on the other end i believe, infact i think it is my case and am one of the ex's, well if an arragement had been put in place for monthly payments it would not have got in the plight that its in at this moment in time. And yes am owed a large sum of money.

• 1 year later...

my son has just got an apprenticeship being 16 years old.he starts the job in2 weeks time but will still be going to college one day a week.i e mailed the csa and yesterday rang them to chase them up for an answer as to whether i still had to pay maintenance. when i rang i was told that as a result of what i told them my ex wife no longer qualified for payments.however when i got home last night i had a letter from the csa saying that i must continue paying.has anyone else had this problem?

• 8 months later...

ADVICE REQUIRED ABOUT CLOSING DOWN CSA ACCOUNT PLEASE.

Can any of the readership please answer a question what (I thought) should be an easy topic made typically impossisble to get a reply on from the CSA.

My son is 19 years old in April 2010 (in higher education) and I make my APRIL monthly payment 5 days BEFORE he is 19 years old. I want to know please if;

A. When the April payment is sent, do I calculate the cost of the 5 days when he is still 18 for that month based on a 30 day calendar month and send the CSA a cheque for the balance of 5 days? OR

B. Do the 5 days count as a requirement to pay a FULL month's payment (In MAY) by virtue of a "month or part thereof" ruling?

Also general advice about closing down the account with the bank etc. from anyone who has recently undertaken this exercise would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to obtain all this info from the CSA as a General Procedure question however they want my FULL details which I have refused - doubtless they would like a final "sniff" through the accounts to see if they can screw anything else out of me by way of a farewell gesture!

Thanks in anticipation of any reply(s)

G

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

CSA Cashcow..

The CSA liability is worked out weekly.. Find the date when your case originally started.. or the last assessment calculated - any assessments calculated on your account will all be to the same day.

So take your son's 19th birthday.. then go back to the day the case originally started on.. this will be the date the case closes..

EX:

Initial start of case - Wednesday

Sons 19th birthday - Friday

Go back from yours sons 19th birthday to the Wednesday - this is the date the case will close.

However when they are looking at the closure of the case - it may not necessarily go from the 19th birthday - if child benefit ceased to be in payment to the other parent prior to this - the case is closed from that date. Hope that makes sense.

As for cancelling your standing order.. cancel with the bank. If its a direct debit - contact csa immediately and get them to cancel at their end - then cancel it with your bank - they will reject the payment should csa try to claim.

May be worth seeing if you have arrears on the case though.. as you will still need to make payments.

Hope this helps..

• 4 months later...

I have read all the above comments above with interest and would like to leave all you frustrated peeps with our experiences. Firstly, I would like to say that since my ex and I divorced in 1997, I have always paid directly via bank transfer to my ex wifes bank account up to May 2008. My son was kicked out of school at 14 and for the 2 years up to his 16th birthday. basically dossed about and got into trouble. He managed to get a criminal record and was refused entry to any other local school. Due to his record, social services got him onto a course at college to basically keep him off the street. Because he did 18 hours the CSA said it was classed as full time. Fair enough. Anyway, prior to all this, I continued paying up to May 2008 until I got a call from my ex telling me he was going to college. I asked her to provide proof of this as I doubted it given the fact he could'nt keep in school. Anyway, she refused and so did the CSA telling me that I had no rights to that information as Data protection laws now kicked in due to his age. College also refused me proof. As I couldnt understand any reason why my ex would not give me the proof I needed, I stopped paying. Anyway, in August last year, I had a call from the idiots saying that they would send the baliffs in if I didnt pay. I asked them to send me a breakdown of arrears so I could see exactly where these arrears came from. Seven months later and probably £70 in calls, I finally get my breakdown! They covered periods during the time when payments where direct, citing that because I had no formal agreement in place saying these payments (£200 a month) where for maintenance, for all they knew, the money I was sending could well have been for catalogue debts I left my ex with!!!??? Anyway, it May 2010, a liability order was denied by the local magistrates court as I had contacted the Independent Case Examiner and asked them to investigate why they had taken 7 months to provide me with my breakdown. This case is still being investigated. The case in May was adjurned till today, Aug 12th. I have gone along to court with my stack of evidence, even taking a letter with me from the CSA saying I had overpaid by £1300.00 and also the letter from ICE proofing their intervention. The judges have not looked at any of the documents and have granted the liability. Even the CSA representative said prior to the hearing that he doubts liability would be granted given my papers. I have now got to wait for the idiots to write to me to tell me whether they want the £4801 in full or whether I can pay over the 2 years they have to give me to pay. I have been threatened with the balliffs if I can't pay in full and even prison. Oh, I forgot to mention also that a departure order has been granted and back dated 4 months making another £700 on top in arrears. Even though I sent in documents showing what my ex claimed was untrue, they granted the departure. This is not about assisting the NRP, regardless of the truths and facts. Can someone please help and advise what to do at this stage, after liability as been granted. I feel the only way my new family can be left alone is if I'm no longer around.

Hi there

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. There is a lot to take in here.. but i would say as for your son being in education - get the csa to do a child benefit check.. as if this is not in payment then the case should be closed, may be worth getting them to check if your son has ever claimed benefits too.

As for the liability order - is there anyway this can be appealed against?

The debt wont be wiped off, but they may be a bit more lenient if you explain that you requested the breakdown etc and didnt get it, you want to make payments, just want to make sure they are right etc.

As for the payments being made direct to the other parent - they are right on this.. as bad as it is.. if the parent with care denies that the monies you paid were for child maintenance then it goes against you.. may be something you can put in your appeal - if you can appeal against the liability order (sorry im not well up on these things).

Anyway, on a final note, im sure your new family will stick by you no matter what and its hard to read the last line of your message. It will never be that bad, you can come to an agreement im sure.

Hope you are ok and sorry if this doesnt really help much.