New laws regarding credit checks?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are lookng to move house to another rented property,

never had problems before even though we have credit issues

One lettings agency have just turned OH down point blank saying they have taken on this new law that states they do full credit checks and because of 1 CCJ they refuse to let to us, even though we have references and never missed a payment in our lives.

I cant find anything online, very worried we might never be able to move?

Most letting agents use a reference provider to do the referencing. It's easier, and means that if they ever put it a dud tenant, any responsibility rests with the company that provided the reference.

The biggest is Homelet. They will turn down any application out of hand if there is any ccj, no matter what amount - if the question "have you any" was answered no. They also treat matters differently depending on if there is more than one, how long ago and how much.

We got caught out by a tenant who had satisfied a judgement some 3 years ago, so rightly thought she could answer no. Homelet stated that it was a false statement as there was a ccj, albeit satisfied.

So, if you use an agent make sure you tick "yes" to ccj's. Alternatively, you may have to stick with the private landlords that do not use an agent (the small ads).

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

If you have a track history with your current agent, they may be able to get around the credit problem.

We have tenants who on the face of it would fail referencing, but with some of our landlords with whom we have a good relationship we can assist with placing them - the landlord knows how we operate and trusts our discretion.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.