Abbey bank lost our form - ID theft risk?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, fellow disgruntled consumers:

3 weeks ago I went into a local Abbey branch with my immigrant wife and filled out a form to get her name added to my account. All last week I tried to get an answer from Abbey regarding the status of our application, but was told by the operator of the only number they give out - a national line - that the branch was not answering, or busy. The operator told me he'd leave a message asking someone from the branch to contact me. Nobody ever called.

We went to the branch on Saturday at 12:20 to try to get an answer, but everyone had gone home. It's supposed to be open until 12:30.

I rang again yesterday, the operator couldn't get through again, and told me he'd put me through to some other dept who might be able to help.

So once I've got this other guy to understand why I'm calling, he miraculously manages to get through to the branch, who tell him that they have no record of the application!! They've lost the form, and presumably also the photocopies of our passports that they took! The form has everything an identity thief could ask for on it, and they've lost it.

The guy suggested I go back to the branch and re-apply. This is a pain in the rear because my wife's passport is now with the Home Office getting a Visa update (which could take forever - don't get me started on the H.O.). I assume they'll need to see / copy our passports again.

Although the delay in the application is an inconvenience (eg having to spend on CC because unable to pay in cheques to account, wifey has to ask me for money etc), we're now worried that some unscrupulous person could have all our personal information, even passport stuff.

I am livid. I'm going to the branch this afternoon to demand they find the original form. Any advice for me?

Cheers,

The Archbishop.

How can you "demand" that they find your form? :-? If it's lost, it's lost. No, it's not acceptable, yes, they should have done a better job of keeping it, but the way the banks operate, it's hardly surprising these days. :-(

How can you "demand" that they find your form? :-? If it's lost, it's lost. :-(

Well I'm not necessarily expecting them to find it, but I am expecting to at least see them attempt to look for it, and i'd like to raise a complaint in person.

I doubt they put much effort into looking for it while I was waiting on the phone yesterday.

• 8 months later...

I have had this same experience with Abbey. First applied for the Zero card over the internet, i never received the application forms to sign, so tried again about 2/3 weeks later. Then I received two sets of documentation on the same day. I returned set and waited for two weeks. They never received them, so another set was printed out. Somehow i made contact with a person in Milton Keynes who was very helpful and said i could fax the documents to her and she would forward them to Leeds (or wherever). I got a letter back saying fax was not acceptable. I called to ask for another copy of the documents, but they never arrived....If it wasn't that the card was so suitable for my needs! In the end i did the application through the branch, got it signed and all. Five days later I got 3 credit cards - two for the application that had been faxed and that they had written to me to say would't suit their criteria!

You'd think I'd learn. We are about to start our own business (are we crazy) and we want an Abbey business account - they are a really good deal. I went into the branch but the business person never bothered to phone back, i eventually did an application over the phone, got the paperwork, got all sorts of stuff from the accountant etc and posted it back. It got lost in that Abbey back room. I have no idea what to do next. I am currently waiting for them to reprint the application and then i will decide.

Abbey - total bankers!