• Tweets

• Ofcourse you wont be playing twice. i think you dont fully  understand how a secured loan nor a ccj works.   You should have a charge dated from when you signed up to welcome against the property. That reminds until settled.   The fact someone, could have been welcome more likely cabot ? Got a default ccj in oct 2014 doesn't change anything with regards to what you ultimately pay, just a few more fee as it went to court   Your credit file will show who got the ccj Your online deeds will show you who owns the charge now.   I suspect as welcome vanished in 2012 if not before i suggest the debt was sold on ? And the above won't show welcomes name?    
    • What date of issue on the claim form ?   Andy
    • Many thanks..yes I did not want to give any indication that I was aware I had parked on the site at any point especially written down. That said I will keep the new entry in. Do I need to add their ref no etc at the top of the letter and or date of infringement? 
    • Hi, thank you for the quick response.     Yes we asked them for the original credit agreement but they only sent a statement of previous payments and charges, etc. Looking back at the communications, we actually asked for this information a year ago and they sprang into life a few months ago.     The letter of claim only referenced the OD not the credit card.   The last feedback we got from them was that they thought the credit card debt was not statute barred and would be sending information over regarding the OD.   Do I need to mention anything specific in the SRA to Lloyds?
    • I have AoS using MCOL. Slight issue in that it has an old address listed and I had no way of changing it using the system. I have emailed mcol@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk to ask them to amend/update, but don't know if that will work. Regardless, at this point I don't think it changes what i need to do - but correct me if I'm wrong.   So, next step would ordinarily be "get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors asking for all relevant bills" Is that correct? Having said that, I have copies of the bills from Eon, and Lowell have also sent me copies of bills. Should i still go ahead with this regardless?   Folowing this, my next step would be filing my defence, correct? And, now that I've done the AoS. I'd really appreciate a sanity check on when I need to file my defence by if that is indeed the next step.   I'll be looking at more threads. I'd like to be able to put all of this to one side until Feb 3rd (I have an absolutely crucial - 5 years of work to get to it - deadline of 2nd Feb for something I'm working on that is totally unrelated but is eating up all my time until then). Am I correct in thinking it's okay to leave this until Feb 3rd now??   Thanks again for your help thus far. Donation made.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Consumer Credit Agreements - A letter from the Parliamentary Under Secretary Of State

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4239 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

For those of you who need to know about Consumer Credit Agreements and why they MUST be produced.

I recently wrote to my local MP to inform him of my case against my forced bankruptcy. Yesterday I received a letter from my MP with the response from Gareth Thomas MP (Parliamentary Under Secretary Of State For Trade And Consumer Affairs)

It says

Thank you for your letter regarding your constituent.....blah blah about problems with debt collection agencies. However I am unable to intervene in disputes of this nature. His best course of action is to seek independent advice or go to his local Citizen's Advice Bureau.....

I can however provide some clarity on the point Mr (me) makes about his request for a copy of the credit agreements in question. Sections 77 and 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 provide that a consumer may request a copy of any credit agreement they entered into. The Act requires that the lender must comply with any such request within the prescribed period of 12 working days. If a lender cannot comply with the request, they cannot enforce the credit agreement whilst this default continues. Mr (me) may wish to pursue this point further if and when he seeks further advice about the dispute he is engaged in.

A lot of us on these forums know about this, but this hopefully will confirm to a lot of people who didn't know this fact, just how important it is to ask for the agreement.

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll see what I can do....

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

OK when I get time I will post it up....in the meantime if you need the specific regulations in the Consumer Credit Act then these are they...

Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations

1983 (SI 1983/1569)

2 Prescribed period

The period of 12 working days is hereby prescribed for the purposes of each provision of the Act specified in Column 1

of the Schedule to these Regulations relating to the duty indicated in Column 2 in relation to regulated agreements

SCHEDULE

SECTIONS OF THE ACT IN RESPECT OF WHICH A PERIOD OF 12 WORKING DAYS IS PRESCRIBED RELATING TO DUTIES IN

RELATION TO REGULATED AGREEMENTS

Regulation 2

Section of the

Act

Duty

(1) (2)

77(1) Duty to give information to debtor under fixed-sum credit agreement.

78(1) Duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement.

79(1) Duty to give information to hirer under consumer hire agreement.

and section 78 for running credit

Duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement.

— (1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of [F1 £1], shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a)

the state of the account, and

(b)

the amount, if any currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

©

the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.

(2) If the creditor possesses insufficient information to enable him to ascertain the amounts and dates mentioned in subsection (1)©, he shall be taken to comply with that paragraph if his statement under subsection (1) gives the basis on which, under the regulated agreement, they would fall to be ascertained.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to—

(a)

an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

(b)

a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

(4) Where running-account credit is provided under a regulated agreement, the creditor shall give the debtor statements in the prescribed form, and with the prescribed contents—

(a)

showing according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer, the state of the account at regular intervals of not more than twelve months, and

(b)

where the agreement provides, in relation to specified periods, for the making of payments by the debtor, or the charging against him of interest or any other sum, showing according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer the state of the account at the end of each of those periods during which there is any movement in the account.

(5) A statement under subsection (4) shall be given within the prescribed period after the end of the period to which the statement relates.

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a)

he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;

(7) This section does not apply to a non-commercial agreement, and subsections (4) and (5) do not apply to a small agreement

Edited by 42man
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally been able to dust off the scanner.....let's hope this works...

hoc

hoc1

Edited by 42man

Thanks very much for this ammo, 42man. I'm very sorry to hear about your enforced bankruptcy and am rooting for you as you turn the tables.

When we all co-operate together we can and do come out on top. All the best, Patma

• 4 weeks later...

bumping this up for anybody who needs convincing about credit agreements !!!

Just a thought but if you want to screw with their minds when you next write refer to a letter you have not yet sent.......just as they often do

You know the sort of thing

"As you have failed to respond to my Letter Before Action dated ??/??/?? I will have no alternative but to issue proceedings against you unless I hear from you by (put yesterdays date)"

At the very least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that some Muppet has had to spend time furiously searching through a file

Just a thought but if you want to screw with their minds when you next write refer to a letter you have not yet sent.......just as they often do

"As you have failed to respond to my Letter Before Action dated ??/??/?? I will have no alternative but to issue proceedings against you unless I hear from you by (put yesterdays date)"

At the very least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that some Muppet has had to spend time furiously searching through a file

Reminds me of a book I once read called " How to annoy Bureaucrats" worked wonders when I had a run in with the Inland Revenue :-D

Cabot and the Cabot Fan Club Threads:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/73598-dealing-cabot-101-cabot.html

Legal Actions Explained for Businesses:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20492-legal-actions-explained-company.html

Payplan CCCS Advice:

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/getting-out-debt/128587-info-cccs-payplan-experiences.html?highlight=Payplan

How to use the Forum

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

A click on the scales below is appreciated if my posts were helpful

Do not regard my postings or suggestions as professional advice. If in doubt seek a professional opinion.

PLEASE DONATE IF SUCCESSFUL - Every little helps :)

PLEASE, Do not Private Message me with basic questions, start your own thread and PM a link if you wish, but I will not be able to respond to all individual questions as I am very busy on numerous other things and anyway, others cannot learn from PM's. It also stifles contributions from the vast talent base this site offers from it's contributors and I'm not all that clever really! :D Thank you.

How to annoy debt collectors.........sounds like a great title for a similar book

A number of us get our heads together & compile a number of perfectly legal strategies.........have them checked by our peers.....then publish them on as many free sites as we can.........after all romancing the stone isn't the preserve of the debt collectors & their ilk

"letter what letter"???

default! what default????? or

"that MUCH you cannot be serious"..or

"no he she is working on a rig...in a brothel overseas (you takes your pick) & I have NO idea when they will be back......could even by never".....or

"sorry no ones home I'm just the hired help & they have all gone to the regatta.....don't you know......byeeee"

JonCris your signature re mortgages under your post, didn't I read that it was the Insolvency Practitioner in his Bankruptcy who raised this issue so no doubt the poor fella never even got the benefits of it being written off - cruel :-D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/73598-dealing-cabot-101-cabot.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20492-legal-actions-explained-company.html

Payplan CCCS Advice:

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/getting-out-debt/128587-info-cccs-payplan-experiences.html?highlight=Payplan

How to use the Forum

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Do not regard my postings or suggestions as professional advice. If in doubt seek a professional opinion.

PLEASE, Do not Private Message me with basic questions, start your own thread and PM a link if you wish, but I will not be able to respond to all individual questions as I am very busy on numerous other things and anyway, others cannot learn from PM's. It also stifles contributions from the vast talent base this site offers from it's contributors and I'm not all that clever really! :D Thank you.

Correct Andrew but the Judgment has implications for lenders who don't pursue debtors in a timely fashion....even mortgage lenders.........also had the guy acquired any assets after discharge they could have secured them against the original outstanding debt.....so in that sense he's now debt free

Far too many lenders just sit back in the hope you will acquire some wealth before they pounce often years after the fact.

It's like Damocles Sword hanging over someone & grossly unfair when a debtor has, often against much adversity, worked hard to turn their life around to then find that the problems of the past are not in fact the problems of the past but of today here & now

• 1 month later...

Bumping up again for those who need convincing on the Consumer Credit Agreements !!!

• Haha 1

That legislation IMHO means jack!

I have had 3 disputes with Halifax, Cit and RBS. None has sent a copy of CCA since jan 08.

All three have defaulted me. I wrote to the ICO ( no reply) I wrote to TS ( No reply) and I wrote to my MP who wrote back saying I should take it up with the two jokers above.

Consumer legislation does not protect the consumer and creditors can contravene consumer law with no consequences.

Odio los bancos con una venganza

The legislation does actually mean something, it means without a Consumer Credit Agreement, they cannot get any credit debt enforced...If you want to complain ask for the official complaints procedure of the company in question, if they either don't respond or the procedure is not to your satisfaction then report them to the Financial Ombudsman Service....

42man

Good one

Mind if I use it for my own develish means i.e. to help screw a DCA

Kel

Perish the thought ! :D

Payplan CCCS Advice:

How to use the Forum

The legislation does actually mean something, it means without a Consumer Credit Agreement, they cannot get any credit debt enforced...If you want to complain ask for the official complaints procedure of the company in question, if they either don't respond or the procedure is not to your satisfaction then report them to the Financial Ombudsman Service....

AND the OFT as to try & enforce the unenforceable is contrary to OFT guidelines & COULD (some hope) bring a companies fitness to hold a licence into question

Like i said in my post above, the Information Commissioners Office has done nothing, not even acknowledged my letter. I have used their complaints procedure. 2 have not replied, 1 replied and I have started the procedure with them.

The 'regulators' have no teeth at all.

Why should credit card companies be allowed to flout regulations in the first place? why should we have to fight tooth and nail to reverse something that should not have been done anyway?

Like I said--- that legislation means Jack! They don't have to stick to it and, looking at a lot of posts, they don't, but are allowed to get away with it

Odio los bancos con una venganza