• Tweets

• as you mention the bpa sounds like its a scummy private car park lot blue badges mean nothing on private land anyway.............. so a failure to display something that is meaningless on private land anyway is a money grabbing scam moved to the private parking forum dx dx
    • who is it from  a council or a private parking company?
    • As per the heading, received a parking charge for failure to display a blue badge in a disabled bay on a retail park.  I am a blue badge holder, disabled/wheelchair user with a Motability vehicle. I received the charge as 'notice to keeper' I was not the driver. I don't have a valid driving license so use a carer. The notice arrived a week after the alleged incident. It states that as the 'driver' failed to pay the charge in full  hence, it is now the keepers responsibility ( the notice was dated 2 days after the alleged infringement and as no notice to driver was on the vehicle, I don't know how they expect the driver to be able to either pay or dispute the charge if they are not aware of it) Anyway, really looking for help how to reply. I cannot remember if the badge was correctly displayed or not. Photos taken of car miss a bit where I store my badge if not displayed so it would be possible to see a badge even if not 'correctly displayed" . It was a bit of a sh**ty day weather wise, gusty and raining  (as seen on the photos which reminded me of the actual day) so it is possible that badge blew to the floor as the driver was helping me out of the car into wheelchair. There is no windscreen photo showing that a PCN to "Driver" was stuck on the window either. The car park is free. There are no Parking Signs at all near the disabled bays that one could read to adhere to any terms and conditions. The whole row of disabled bays - of which are there many only state badge holders ( does not stipulate Blue Badge Holders) The notice states that the parking company is a member of the BPA and Operating in accordance with the British Parking Association's Code of Practice. The BPA, section 19.1 State that at least one parking sign should be near the disabled bays, in a position that can be easily  read by by a disabled person without leaving their car in order to decide to be bound by such terms. We returned to look for signage on the retail park and could not find one sign that was near the bays. The only sign we could find was high up on a pole but not near the bays. Someone had to get out of the car and stand on tip toes to be able to take a photo of a sign. I would be grateful if someone could help or point me in the right direction. It is now  15 days since the alleged incident and 7 days since I received the notice.
    • also just to clarify is it required that I physically post to both the county court and Evri? I read in another thread you can just email Evri a copy since they will just rescan whatever you post anyway (if they even read it)
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Venture Photography - Do we have a leg to stand on?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few weeks ago, I was approached by a woman in a shopping centre to do a survey for venture photography. I didn't really have time to do it and tried to protest but she said it was only a couple of questions, so I answered them and probably got away quicker than I would if I'd kept saying no.

Anyway a few days later I had a call saying I'd 'won' a free studio session and free print. Great I thought, I like free things. So we went along to the free session which was great fun but last night we went back to look at the photos and things went a bit downhill. We were both tired and a bit ratty and when we were shown the photos, they were not that great really. There were a couple that weren't bad and we picked a few that we liked as the guy scrolled through them. From then on followed a very hard sell of expensive framed prints and absolutely no mention of our free print, only a £75 voucher. We ended up being pushed into ordering a 10x8 framed print costing £300, the whole experience was horrible and and soon as we left, I knew we'd made a mistake. It was paid for on a credit card, and I was wondering if any of you with legal experience etc knows if there is anything we can do about this, ideally we'd like to cancel the order but I doubt they will let us.

The experience of last night was very unpleasent and has left myself and my partner arguing over it and is in no way the positive experience we had expected.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The long and short of it is no, you can't cancel the sale.

So long as there is nothing wrong with goods you buy in a shop or other trade premises you have no legal right to an exchange, credit note or refund if you simply change your mind.

Each time you agree to buy goods or a service you make a contract.

• It is legal and binding even if it isn't written down.
  • If you cancel without the legal right to do so, you are in breach of contract.
  • You may lose any deposit already paid.
  • The trader may be entitled to claim all their financial losses. In some cases this may amount to more than any deposit paid, especially if work on the contract has already started.

Furthermore, as these are personalised goods, there is no question about them being able to resell them, so I'm afraid you're stuck.

The only thing I can suggest is read thoroughly the contract you signed and see if they have put in a cancellation clause in there themselves, possibly with a fee attached, which would be better than having to pay the whole thing? (The way they operate, I doubt it, but it's worth checking anyway)

Let us know, it might come in helpful for someone else.

I was hoping as we only ordered it last night, that nothing would have been done about it yet and therefore they would have no product yet which they would need to resell.

I considered calling them and explaining everything but looking at the kind of company they are, I highly doubt they would be sympathetic.

They make their living out of hard selling expensive products, and the whole set-up is to make sure that you can not invoke any statutory rights: The sale happens on their premises, you are given a chance to examine the goods before ordering, the goods are personalised, etc... so yes, I agree it is highly unlikely.

Read the contract you signed thoroughly, and yes, you can always give them a call, what have you got to lose? Just don't hold your breath. :-(

I called the studio up and they didn't say no, which is what I was expecting. The lady explained that we could downgrade the frame to the cheapest one, but we would need to keep the 10x8 print as that is being custom printed, which is ok as this combination would only be £40 instead of £300 which to me is far more the kind of price I'd be willing to pay for what were not particularly exciting photos.

She said we'd need to speak to the guy that did our viewing to sort it out so he's going to call me when he comes in. I'm hoping that they are going to value customer experience over an extra £260 profit, I imagine a lot of their buisness comes from word of mouth and if we end up with something we neither want nor can afford, we will certainly not be saying good things about the company!

Its a pity the new Unfair trading practices regs are not in yet. About half of the (draft) practices have been mentioned in that scenario and it would be the studio that wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Good news, the guy just called back - which I actually wasn't expecting. When I explained our feelings about the experience of the viewing evening, he was very apologetic about everything and we're now getting the same size print in the basic frame that I'd wanted originally which is costing £40 instead of nearly £300! Feel so much better now and actually have a bit more respect for the company for not just saying all orders are final/nothing we can do etc!

Still think their practices of luring people into the studio with 'prizes' are wrong but at least they have proved to me that they have a little good customer service there, or maybe I was just lucky that I got a reasonable sales person.

That's a relief! So glad it got sorted, especially as they really didn't have to, strictly speaking.

Let that be a lesson to you, in future, always, always, always say: "I'll think about it and get back to you". Even if the salesperson tells you it's the last one. Or it's for one day only. The prices go up tomorrow. He can only guarantee this today. Just sign here.

Now it's sorted, I can tell you that I got pics from Venture myself 3 years ago, and we got the photo album, and they were (are) great photos and our experience was actually very good, although I remember audibly gulping when we found out the price. But tbh, the photos sold themselves so it was worth doing just this once (finally paid it off 6 months ago!), especially as my youngest is asperger's, so getting him in a nice photo is tricky.

Anyway, really pleased they put customer ahead of profit after all, it is so rare these days, I think it is worth highlighting! :-D

Although a franchise, Venture is ultimately owned by Kodak. The quality of their photography is usually good - they employ qualified photographers and concentrate on high-key images and digital enhancement - and their framing is also of decent quality.

Even with the costs of premises, staff and equipment I don't know how they justify their prices, however.

As a fairly keen photographer, I once looked at a job with another chain of portrait studios - until I discovered that skill with a camera was very much a second consideration to high-pressure sales techniques.

Good to see that all worked out well for the OP.

• 3 months later...

hi there,

I used to work for venture as a photographer and a sales person and I have to say if your not happy then stand your ground. we were all trained to overcome "objections". using phrases like its a bespoke product... well, technically the print is but that costs next to nothing- a 10x8 is only a few quid! and the frame can be re-used!

The order normally sits on the retouchers pile for an age before it gets done anyway. if the studio was anything like the one i worked in then you could have 2-3 weeks before the order went off!

I did love working in the studio with families and i loved the buzz of people loving my images but then there was always so much pressure to sell the work, hit our targets etc.. and with what we charged for the products, well..very little went to the photographer!! not even a bonus. What i averaged in one sale was the same as i took home in a month. Its no wonder that so many photographers are leaving and setting up their own business. it seemed grossly unfair that the talent you pay for is underpaid and lining the pockets of the studio owners and head office.

i feel sorry for all the new photographers that join each year hoping its an amazing carear ladder, when in fact, you work stupid hours, have little or no social life and get paid crap! I'm so glad i moved on, just wished i did it sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently had an experience though we purchases the 'discounted' voucher from a store which included a free print or discount on the main picture. Whilst the products are probably overpriced the pictures we saw were excellent. I wasn't overly keen on the high pressure sales to round off the experience (though we had expected it before we went there - seems fairly usual for this type of product) but we decided to purchase one of the products. We collected the pictures and got them home, on putting them up i noticed a couple of problems, we immediately spoke to the Venture office (in Kingston) and they couldn't have been more helpful. The items were replaced, they even brought them to our home rather than have us collect the replacement. We then noticed another minor problem, again sincere apologies and more help than we could possibly expect (not to mention the £450 gift vouchers they have given for the troubles and cancellation of the credit agreement until we are 100% happy) - what more could we ask for?

Considering the type of high pressure sales they use and their high prices, I find it particularly unusual that their customer service has been so good, at least in our experience.

IMHO very well done to everyone at Venture for their speedy and helpful response in both my case and it would seem in yours.

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry but I'd have to ask what on earth you are all talking about....

I got a "free" £250 voucher for a photo shoot and framed image of my choice from Audi when they were a week late delivering my car seat. We went along to Venture in Milton Keynes and had the pictures taken. We returned a week later, and yes; as you say there was somewhat of a sales pitch. But at the end of the day we could have walked out with a small framed image for free (which would have looked great on my desk in the office), having had 3 free cups of coffee and sat looking at some great pictures of me and my family. Of course they are going to do a sales pitch - they are a business trying to make money.

Yes they are on the pricey side, but its up to you if you want and can afford to buy them. Personally I thought that both the pictures and frames were absolutley superb and although maybe not worth the money, ended up spending £1400.

Glad to hear they let you cancel the picture you ordered though - sign of a good compnay if you ask me.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum, and have signed up because of reading this thread!

They say never write an e-mail/letter when your angry,but here goes.....

I read with great interest about the experience of Bryony84 who has my full sympathy.

We had a truly awful experience with Venture Photography. We were accosted in a shopping centre a few months back to entice us for a photoshoot. They were offering a deal in which we paid £25 for a photoshoot and a 7 x 5 picture of our choice (which they claim would normally cost around £145). Seemed like a good deal at the time, or so we thought.......and as we hadn't any professional family pictures of the four of us (including our latest addition to the family - our baby son), we accepted their offer.

Whilst waiting in the studio before our shoot began, we were looking at the gallery of images on display. We were a bit wary of the style of some of the images, which seem to be taken at weird angles and at times, some of the subjects had only parts of their faces/heads in the picture. We explained this to the staff, including the manager, that we wanted some thing a little more conventional, but she replied by saying that this is part of the "Venture brand", and we were left feeling that we had little choice but to go with it. So we took a chance, believing some good image may come out of the photoshoot.

The photoshoot itself was fine, I have to say, and it was lovely to see our little girl enjoying herself in the shoot.

However, things turned sour during the viewing of the pictures on a separate date. As with Bryony84, there was an incredible hard sell thing going on from the guy showing us the images, and although we tried to stipulate a budget, he just kept showing us packages that took us well over the limit. Yes, it would have been great to have alot of the images we had seen in a special display set and size, but our finances were stretched.

In the end, although we had decided on the image, we had to go away and deliberate on whether to just stick with what we paid for, i.e. a 7 x 5 framed photo, or be prepared to pay upto our budget limit for a larger/or additional photos. We decided to reject the latter, as the framed photo didn't seem large enough to justify the cost (for us).

I then returned a few weeks later to collect the photo, and saw that it was not the one that we had picked. At the time of being initially approached for the deal, we were told that the format of the photoshoot was to "funk it up" (fair enough, but we hadn't expected parts of our heads to be spliced out in parts). However, if I am honest, I took home the photo without a fuss, as I had just had enough by then, and it was only a basic size at no huge cost. However, when I got home, my husband did not like the image and also felt this is not the one we had initially picked.

So I phoned up the studio again and explained the above, and the manager apologised and suggested I come back for another viewing, and as a good will gesture, we could still keep the image we had already got (although we really were not interested in keeping it).

Then things got ugly! When I returned for the second viewing, the owner of the franchise (not the manager I had spoken to) told me I would have to pay £95 to get another image!!!!!!! I told him that had I been made aware of this when I phoned the manager, I wouldn't have bothered with a long and wasted trip back to the studio. It was obscene to be told this, and to realise the poor level of communication between two senior members of staff in relation to our predicament. The owner also insisted that the photo we did not want was, according to him, the one that we had originally picked - but that was just not he case at all, and I insisted that the error was on his part.

Not only that, but when he finally agreed to producing another image for us at no extra charge, he inisted that I come all the way back to the studio (other side of the city) to collect it! I asked if this could be posted out this time round for goodwill given their error. However, he has declined to post it out, and so one of us will have to make yet another trip, which is costing us alot in petrol. The whole "Venture Experience" hardly seems worth the money we paid, when one adds up the cost of additional time and travel as a result of their error.

What amazed me about the franchise owner was a lack of an apology, a rather defensive attitude and an unwillingness to appreciate customer feedback (priortising instead on hard sell tactics).

If I am objective, I would say the photos taken at our shoot were of reasonable or good quality (save for a few poor ones which included the produced photo we did not want), but the customer service was appalling.

I was very uspset by this experience and will never "venture" back there again, neither can I recommend them to any family or friends.

I am now waiting for the photo that we originally chose to be produced, but this time I leave it to hubby to collect it and he can then tell them what's on his mind!

would never recomend going to venture...

personal experiance dictates a hardsell and very poor and frequently lying staff

approached by staff in the middle of meadow hall coming upto christmas and was given the £25 shoot offer with a free photo. sale, the staff member stated that it was the last weekend this offer was on (the first lie its been there every weekend for over a year since).

we were told we could arange a date that suited us, but as we needed a saturday it may be a couple of weeks later fair enough. we asked if we could go to the nottingham studio as it is closer but was told that the offer was only for the sheffield studio which seemed fair enough as the offer had been shown in sheffield.

we had the shoot a couple of weeks later which did go well but again we were a little concerned about some of the "styles" they pushed a week later we had a call off the nottingham studio asking why we hadnt gone there as they had noticed that it was closer for us, when we stated that we had been told we couldnt they said it was a complete lie and could have been taken at any studio.

we then went to look at hte photos and were given the very hard sell on photos that to be honest only seemed to cost slightly less than my car (which was brand new).

when we got the "free" photo several weeks later it was in an extremely poor quality frame, held togeather with a couple of staples.

would never recomemd them and infact am likely to put up a really poor review next time i write a review on ciao

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

would improve the business world if they have

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 2 months later...

Just reading a few of these reviews has prompted me to offer my opinion (for what it's worth!)

Well we took the free voucher thing from the local supermarket just before christmas and arranged our shoot which happened last weekend. We were already looking to have some pics taken of our two young daughters so we actually approached them in the store. Anyways, we had the shoot which was really fun, our girls loved it. The photogrpher was very friendly and courtious etc and it was all very good fun.

We went back yesterday to view the pictures and I have to say the pictures were very, very good and definately not something I could have done myself without proper training and access to professional equipment.

The pictures were amazing so we decided to buy one 14" x 11" and four 7" x 5" framed pictures at a price of £625 and it was real struggle to narrow it down to the five images. At no point was there any pressure to buy anything during the review, in fact the rep even said on a couple of occasions that we were free to walk away with just the free 7 by 5. She even suggested that it if you are thinking about buying anything, then we should consider going for the cheapest frames possible then just ditch them and go the high street to get better ones if you're not completely happy with them, rather than paying the over-inflated prices of Venture for some of the more fancier options.

All-in-all the experience so far has been very good. I hope the actual pictures will look as good as they did on the studio screen. We'll see.

Thanks

I couldn't. They don't let you have the pictures electronically, and even if they did, I'm sure they would charge slightly more than the figure you suggest.

Edited by 42man