Periodic tenancy - tenant's notice period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I was planning to move in with my partner this month. We've found the place and put the holding fee down and everything seems to go ok with that.

My partner has now problems with his current tenancy agreement (or non-existent one). He thought that he'd have one month notice period, so he gave notice for the end of this month - or tried to. His fixed tenancy agreement expired last year in November and he has not signed a new contract. I understand that this now constitutes a periodic tenancy, which renews depending on the payment schedule (monthly) - so one month notice should be enough?

His agency told him that the 2 months notice from the old, expired agreement still apply and that he has to find a replacement tenant if he wants to move out earlier. They won't even advertise the place until the end of the 2 months. The flat he lives in is not in any kind of proper condition and imho very very hard to "sell" for the rental price they're asking.

Is there any chance that the 1 month periodic tenancy notice would be enough? I am not sure when he pays the rent though - if he missed that date, would it again be 2 months?

Thanks so much!

Hi all,

His agency told him that the 2 months notice from the old, expired agreement still apply and that he has to find a replacement tenant if he wants to move out earlier. They won't even advertise the place until the end of the 2 months. The flat he lives in is not in any kind of proper condition and imho very very hard to "sell" for the rental price they're asking.

Is there any chance that the 1 month periodic tenancy notice would be enough? I am not sure when he pays the rent though - if he missed that date, would it again be 2 months?

Thanks so much!

From Shelter: Ending a tenancy or licence

Periodic tenancies

If your agreement is periodic (ie rolling from week to week or month to month), you normally have to give at least four weeks' notice to end it, or a calendar month if you have a monthly tenancy.

Ask the agency to show him the legislation they are using to request 2 months notice and tell them that you are contacting Shelter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]