• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Backdoor HFO CCJ and CO - old Virgin MBNA card debt

mini mee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4752 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

they took me to court for ?credit card debt. i dont know what card. they did this after telling me that they accepted my monthly payment offer and had banked it. they got a charge against my house and applied to land registry. i have appealed this but there was another court date in feb and this was accepted by the judge. i have had next to no paperwork from this co and have never seen anything to say what the original debt was. due to personal grief i was in a bit of a mess at the time and agreed terms for a "quiet life"! any ideas anyone what i can do now. the land registry sent me a letter telling me basically not to appeal as they would charge me the earth and i wouldn't win! helpful.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok first things first do not panic

you need to send a letter to the debt collection company asking for a copy of the CCA that you signed, you must find out if the debt they are chasing you for is actually yours, these companies have a nasty habit of just going for the money without any legal claim to it. I cannot find the template for the letter but if you look at a few threads it should be there somewhere, they have 12 working days to give you the info, make sure you send special delivery, include a £1 for the fee and do not sign the letter with your signature, who are the debt company u dealing with?

the land registry sent me a letter telling me basically not to appeal as they would charge me the earth and i wouldn't win! helpful.

You go ahead & make an almighty fuss anyway, dont be bullied into being silent :mad:

regardless of whether they have charge order or not they still have to abide by your request, they need to prove that you owe the debt, you say you have no recollection of it, so let them prove its yours, have you made any arrangements to pay them at all? you said you'd had a monthly pay offer which they had taken

Hi Mini

Unfortunately, a CCA request won't be much good at this stage. HFO have already gone to court, and obtained a final charging order. From what you have said, the chances are that HFO have done so without producing any evidence - if they had any in the first place, which I doubt.

You will need to apply to have the charging order rescinded and the original judgment set aside. It won't be easy as you haven't challenged the claim earlier, but it is possible. There are a number of grounds but it is difficult to advise without asking a lot of detailed questions. I suggest you have a word with your local Citizens Advice Bureau and let them have all the details. It may be that you will need a solicitor to present your case at the court.

One other thing, have HFO said anything about enforcing the charging order?

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

What evidence did they provide in Court?

All might not be lost...

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

• 5 months later...

had awful experience with t&r which culminated in them achieving an order against my property last nov. heard nothing since until yesterday had debt collector note through my door threatening me with bailiffs and warrant if didn,t contact him. (didn't know it was t&r at the time). upshot of all this was that they now want me to make payments on this debt as well. where do i stand?

had awful experience with t&r which culminated in them achieving an order against my property last nov. heard nothing since until yesterday had debt collector note through my door threatening me with bailiffs and warrant if didn,t contact him. (didn't know it was t&r at the time). upshot of all this was that they now want me to make payments on this debt as well. where do i stand?

Hi Mini Mee - I would be interested to know if they got their CCJ on you by default - ie did you go to court and defend it, or did you just bury your head in the sand and do nothing - if it was the last it would appear this is what they hope for.

I am currently having a run in with them, and if you look around for my posts, got the same threats, but for the moment have got them holding off.

I am not sure what you can do now that have a charging order, but hopefully some of the other good people on here will.

Out of interest, how much did they get against you on the CCJ

i didn't go to court because i didn't know until they had done it. no ccj as far as i am aware they went straight for a charging order. i had an agreement with them to pay monthly instalments but they never sent me their bank details and when they finally contacted me again to say they were taking me to court i was on hols

Hi, fancy meeting you here:)

Is this the same case as this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/133477-hfo-got-charging-order.html

If so did you take any of the advice given then about trying to get judgement set aside. If not the last 6 months you have lost may have cost you.

What is the basis of your complaint. Are you saying the debt isn't yours or something else. If you went to Court in February and the CO was made final I struggle to see how you can now apply to have judgement set aside, nearly a year later unless there is something i'm missing.

Please try and fill in the blanks but as I said the time to act was earlier this year.

As for the debt collectors calling card does it say who from.? If so write to them using the template letter advising you don't want anyone to call. Also are you sure the card is about the same debt? As far as I am aware they can't enforce a judgement with a charging order and then try another means of enforcement as well (although I'm sure someone will correct me if thats not correct), so make sure that its not a different debt.

On the plus side, if you have no interntion of selling your house then they won't get their money for a good while yet.

yes it is the same case. i did what was suggested contacting the land registry and filed but they won cos they had order. court case wwas in dec 07 not feb and didn,t know about it cos diana nelson told me she was cancelling the case as we agreed payment terms. she already had the case booked and simply went ahead behind my back! i only knew about it afterwards. the debt is mine but i dont know how much the original debt is as not had cca reply. the person yesterday said he was acting for hfo and they can ask for payments with a charging order in place as well. i dont know!!

Hi minimee, Sorry I'm confused now. In your original thread nobody suggested appealing to Land Regsitry. They are only a recording agency and will only put on your title what the court instructs.

You were advised to apply to have the judgement set aside and the co discharged, which I guessing didn't happen.

In your other post you said you appealed it? and there was another case in feb which didnt go your way. what was the basis of this case?

Do you want to try and get the CO removed or do you just want to know if they are allowed to ask you for money now that they have secured judgement for your debt against your home. Unless the orginal order said so I wouldn't think so but will try and find out.

Please bare in mind that even if judgement is set aside you will still have to defend the claim again, if you don't have a defence the outcome may well be the same and you will incurr more costs. If you don't have to pay anything now, there are no more costs or interest the best thing to do may be to get the collector off your back and then relax knowing the debt is taken care of.

I suspect that your knowledge of the existence of the judgment for this long will preclude you from obtaining an order setting aside the judgment. The charging order alone goes back to November 2007.

Applications to set aside have to be made promptly. A Judge would probbly decide you hadn't acted promptly. He might be persuaded to turn a blind eye to these requirements if you persuaded him that [a] there was a good excuse for your failure to apply promptly and, above all, your application showed the existence of good grounds for supposing you would suceed at a trial if the judgment was set aside and you were allowed to defend it. If say, it could be shown the debt was unenforceable at the time proceedings were issued, the Judge might just turn that blind eye. However, I'm not so certain you would be able to do this if with the assistance of a peson who appears to be a debt counsellor or similar, you were proposing to agree instalment arangements.

How much was the judgment worth when it was entered? This is important in terms of your exposure, to the type of bailiff which can be employed and the calculation of interest on your judgment.

As for the bailiff, there is nothing which precludes a judgment creditor who has secured his judgment on the debtor's property from beginning alternative enforcement steps. The creditor is merely obliged to reduce the value of the judgment debt by whatever is recovered so that, in the case of the charge on the property, the sum it is intended to protect will tumble by whatever sums are paid in redution of the judgment debt.

You can still seek an order for the payment of the debt by instalments.

x20

i am confused too! the charging order was granted in dec 07. it was applied in feb 08. no other court case. my defence is that i have no cca still. the agreement with diana nelson was in place and she said the court case would be dropped. it wasn't but i was unaware of that until i had the letter saying that the co was applied. i originally wanted to know how to get the order dismissed and didn't find out. then i had to have emergency surgery in mar 08 and obviously it took 2nd place. i decided to leave the order as i have no intention in selling my property soon and i thought i was safe against any other threats from this company. until yesterday when this charmer appeared demanding some arrangement to pay as well as the chargin order in place.

Ha, we're speaking over each other.

OK I got the date now. Earlier you had said the Claimant had succeeded in 'achieving an order against my property last nov', not there's much in the way of difference.

Right, so it was a representative from the Claimant's solicitor who said the case would be dropped after you had agreed an instalment arrangement. Did the failure to stick to the instalment arrangement then lead to the application for a charging order?

Can you answer some of the questions about the age and value of the judgment please? Also, when did you apply for a copy of the agreement and when did they begin legal proceedings against you? This has a bearing on whether the creditor can proceed.

x20

Thank you for clarifying that. x20 I am suprised (although nothing should anymore) that once a charging order has been secured a creditor can still come after someone for payment. So in theory, if a charging order has been secured a creditor could still ask for an attachment of earnings or a warrant for balliffs? How common is that in practice?

EDIT - if the charing order was nov/dec '07, what was the hearing in feb '08 you refered to?

Not that common. But obtaining a charging order is not akin to recovering the judgment. It is merely securing it. So if after obtaining the charging order the creditor learns the debtor has found an income, acquired a valuable asset like a car, won the lottery or even become the owner of another house (ie grounds for 2nd charging order), the creditor can adopt further enforcement procedures.

That's not to say the creditor would do that; just that he 's not precluded from having a go.

x20