Jump to content

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4155 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi all a bit of information for you.

If you believe your council tax band is incorrect you should check it.

For England band of your property is based on the price it would have sold for on a valuation date of 1st April 1991


Band A ... up to £40,000

Band B ... £40,001 to £52,000

Band C ... £52,001 to £68,000

Band D ... £68,001 to £88,000

Band E ... £88,001 to £120,000

Band F ... £120,001 to £160,000

Band G ... £160,001 to £320,000

Band H ... £320,001 and above


For Wales it is 1st April 2003

Band A... up to £44,000

Band B... £44,001 up to £65,000

Band C... £65,001 up to £91,000

Band D... £91,001 up to £123,000

Band E... £123,001 up to £162,000

Band F... £162,001 up to £223,000

Band G... £223,001 up to £324,000

Band H... £324,001 up to £424,000

Band I... £424,001 and above

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your local council are the people that set your payments bu it is the valuation office agency who actually set the band. If you wish to challenge you band you can call your local valuation office VOA - Where to find us homepage


You have two ways of challenging your band you can call the valuation office or write to them and telling them why you wnat it looked into


You can appeal in writting to your local Valuation office, get a form to appeal from them or appeal online there are limited reasons and time limits for appeals (proposals to alter the council tax band) and these are The occasions when a challenge by "proposal" is permitted include the following:

1. If part of your property has been demolished (for example a garage or an extension). But if the demolition is the first stage of works to create a new extension, then the valuation band cannot be altered.

2. If your property has been adapted to make it suitable for use by a physically disabled person.

3. If there have been physical changes in your area which could affect the value of your property.

4. If your property has been converted into flats.

5. If you have bought a property, or been granted a lease on a property for seven years or more, and the property's value has been increased because it was extended by the previous occupier, then you can propose that the banding is increased.

6. If your property becomes, or ceases to be, a "composite" property. A composite property is one which contains both domestic and non-domestic property, such as a shop or public house with living accommodation.

7. If there is an increase or decrease in the extent of that part of a composite property used for domestic purposes (for example, a domestic living room is converted for use as an extension to the bar area in a public house).

8. If you have received a notice from the Listing Officer advising you that he/she has altered the entry for your property in the Council Tax Valuation List, you have six months to make a proposal if you do not agree with the change.

9. If the Valuation Tribunal or High Court has made a decision relevant to your property, you may make a proposal, within six months of the date of that decision, to claim that the Listing Officer has not reflected that decision in the valuation band of your property.

10. If you become a new Council Taxpayer for a dwelling, you have a period of six months within which to challenge the valuation band of your property. You may do this as long as the Valuation Tribunal or High Court has not previously considered a challenge by a previous occupier on the same facts.

11. If you are a landlord, who is not the Council Taxpayer, and the tenancy of your property is for less than six months, you can also challenge the valuation band of the property in cases 1 - 10 above.

12. You can also make a proposal to enter your property in the valuation list if it is not shown; for example a newly built dwelling or a conversion.

13. You can also make a proposal to delete a property from the valuation list if it no longer exists or if you think it should no longer be liable for Council Tax.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

To appeal your band on line Council Tax Valuation List


You have to search for your property first then you can click a link to appeal. Please make sure your appeal will be valid looking at the reasons above or they will write to you informing you that it is not validly made.


If you do appeal and they reply saying your proposal is invalid they will still look at your band via an internal report. Your appeal/ proposal will still be invalid and you have 4 weeks to give them reasons as to why you think your appeal (proposal) is valid. If you cannot agree on the validity it will be passed to the Valuation tribunal to determine whether to accept the validity. THE TRIBUNAL IS ONLY FOR THE VALIDITY (on this occasion) and they will not look at the band at this stage. If they decide your appeal is valid they will then look into your band via the proposal route. But remember your band will be looked into either way via the internal report

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...