Phorm (PHishing by web fORM) the BT, Virgin Media, and Talk Talk deal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

thanks to

"By Someone

Comments on ‘BT pimped customer web data to advertisers last summer’ | The Register

Posted Wednesday 27th February 2008 18:00 GMT

I’ve been wondering about the name ‘Phorm’. It’s only just hit me. I’m guessing it comes from:

PHishing by web fORM

That would make it an out-and-out in-your-face bad-taste joke. (I know it’s a bit rich for me to comment, given the name I chose to follow the word ‘By’.)

"

given all the news storys and threads of late

regarding the BT, Virgin Media, and Talk Talk deal with Phorm, the company that will run the targeting system, will have access in all to more than 10 million streams of web browsing data.

the ISPs basicly selling your personal information (identifiable or otherwise) to a 3rd party without your consent.

BT pimped customer web data to advertisers last summer | The Register

Virgin Media Ad Deal [updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102] - Cable Forum

ISP data deal with former 'spyware' boss triggers privacy fears | The Register

Broadband big boys waiting on data pimping | The Register

i wonder if there are any members willing to write a generic yet clear Data Protection Act letter that you could print out and send to your ISP data protection controller?

the main points are i think?, the need to remove the ISPs rights to Export,Process or in any way pass to a 3rd party , infact anything outside the basic supply and processing of billing for your services.

but without removing their ability to export to the off shore customer services the ISP uses (unless the overall feeling here is thats a good thing and can be safely asked for without the removal of the Broadband provision) to save money.

what about the thought put forward in the first thereg URL

"

Contact the police if you're a BT customer

By Anonymous Coward

Posted Wednesday 27th February 2008 15:26 GMT

If BT have been intercepting details of your browsing habits then this may be a violation of RIPA Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (c. 23) - Statute Law Database

In particular sections 1(1) and 2(2):

1. Unlawful interception.

— (1) It shall be an offence for a person intentionally and without lawful authority to intercept, at any place in the United Kingdom, any communication in the course of its transmission by means of—

(a) a public postal service; or

(b) a public telecommunication system.

2. (2) For the purposes of this Act, but subject to the following provisions of this section, a person intercepts a communication in the course of its transmission by means of a telecommunication system if, and only if, he—

(a) so modifies or interferes with the system, or its operation,

(b) so monitors transmissions made by means of the system, or

© so monitors transmissions made by wireless telegraphy to or from apparatus comprised in the system,

as to make some or all of the contents of the communication available, while being transmitted, to a person other than the sender or intended recipient of the communication."

is that relavent?

what of the

Patent application for this one...

"By Anonymous Coward

Posted Wednesday 27th February 2008 17:07 GMT

black_helicopters_48.png I love the patents system. Could this be it? Names KENT THOMAS ERTUGRUL as inventor and 121Media as applicant. Published in Sep 2007.

"TARGETED CONTENT DELIVERY FOR NETWORKS"

esp@cenet document view

"

does that really apply as valid in the UK?

reading the esp@cenet description view

seems to set off several alarm bells about consent,legality,privacy,OFCOM,T&C and a whole lot more.

lots of questions no real legal answers as yet, so i hope you take the time to use this thread to put your collective hats on and hopefully work out all the options available to the masses of end users other than the usual if you dont like it leave responses as there might not be anywere to go to if it carrys on unchecked.

anyone willing to make them listen!

can someone inform the legal team here, readers of this thread and subject might need their help too as theres currently lots of news and messageboard coverage, but no accurate legal advice to date.

hmmm, its sad that im seeing far more legal points of view on several of the registers Phorm stories than here on the UKs premiere UK CAG site.

not one single reply, and someone even started another phorm thread rather than take the time and post here and keep it all in one place,even though many people have read this thread in a very short time.

the Data Protection Act,RIPA,EU IP (internet protocol) law and opt-in for advertising, are some posts mentioned on thereg threads.

but not one CAG reader can be bothered to post a single legal point here in this thread, were i started off this general thread with the obvious Data Protection Act notice.

were have all the Bank charges worriors once found on this site gone..., doesnt anyone care about your personal data being intercepted and sold off to the highest bidders when they have collected enough data.

BTW,theres another new story

Comments on ‘Data pimping: surveillance expert raises illegal wiretap worries’ | The Register

and someone even started another phorm thread rather than take the time and post here and keep it all in one place

The Phorm... thread was actually started before this one, maybe a mod or admin would be kind enough to join this one to the first mention of Phorm on the 27/2/2008.

But yes someone must know some thing about the legal issues.

kabar

it appears theres a few people actually looking at the UK laws and now posting in the Comments on ‘Data pimping: surveillance expert raises illegal wiretap worries’ | The Register

thread.

and so perhaps it might be a good thing if the CAG members were to also post there and link back to this ISP section to both inform the average users reading that massive read Thereg site, and grow the CAG ISP sections with new informed members?.

its only a good thing if you put the UK law in plain sight and make the UK populus understand its not about adds, but something far more important.

and they need to act and make the ISPs pay the price for trying to take away your rights, as the average CAG etc end users did with the Bank charges, go do your part please and help inform and advise the non tech/law readers.

Was just over on "the Reg" and there is now a link to a petition.

Will post on the other Phorm forum so that noone misses it.

Can the forums be merged please?

Petition to: Stop ISP's from breaching customers privacy via advertising technologies.

Barclays Bank Account - settled in full £800.:)

Barclaycard prelim sent 13 Jun 07

Barclaycard settled for full amount 26 Jun 07.