• Tweets

• I would also take this opportunity to add that I don't really understand why you purchased an insurance policy for this watch – unless it offered you something like new for old, accidental damage or that the policy was transferable to a new owner in the event you decided to sell the watch. If there is not the features that interested you then you are perfectly adequately covered by your consumer rights contained in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and of course it would be unlawful for John Lewis to attempt to exclude or limit liability in case something happened to the watch and it ceased to be of satisfactory quality for a reasonable period of time. By and large these extended warranties are a waste of money
    • Sunak to new MPs at the Kings Speech debate. Rishi Sunak, in the king's speech debate, tells new MPs that "life comes at you fast" on the government benches. "Before you know it you end up with a bright future behind you and are left wondering whether you can credibly be an elder statesman at the age of 44," he adds.
    • Properly declared means that you declared the exact value of the item that you sent and by and large you are limited in the value that you can claim to that declared value.  It seems that you didn't declare the value of the accompanying insurance and so if you want, you can go ahead and claim it and we will help you but by and large although your chances of recovering the value of the watch are much better than 95%, The chances of you claiming the value of the lost insurance are much less.  It's up to you if you want to try . Please do the reading that we have advised and start preparing your letter of claim and post the draft here. I suggest that you think about posting up a draft letter of claim on about Sunday which will give you lots of time to do necessary reading  
    • The dealership is not the issue, the technician who I have known for a long time explained where the fault lies, the other garage for lack of a better word did a p**s  poor job of putting the brake pad on where the piston was not lined up correctly which caused uneven pressure on inner pad, the peg on rear of pad not sat ingrove of piston.
    • I Received a writ today from the sherif court there is form form 07 if intention to defend the solicitors are shoosmiths llp for Lowell portfolio    thanks please let me know your thoughts also much appreciated 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Catalogue Account Cover

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning.

Have now decided to go after my catalogue account cover.

Opened catalogue accounts in 1991 (Littlewoods) and 1996 (Great Universal).

Dont know when exactly they started charging account cover nothing for me to sign to say I wanted it I can just about remember it being there one month and thought it compulsary.

Dont have an outstanding balance on the accounts anymore finished paying over a year ago.

Can I still claim ppi back? and if so, How do I go about it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning.

Have now decided to go after my catalogue account cover.

Opened catalogue accounts in 1991 (Littlewoods) and 1996 (Great Universal).

Dont know when exactly they started charging account cover nothing for me to sign to say I wanted it I can just about remember it being there one month and thought it compulsary.

Dont have an outstanding balance on the accounts anymore finished paying over a year ago.

Can I still claim ppi back? and if so, How do I go about it?

Hello Msowing,

You will have to send both of them a SAR for info on the account.:grin:

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Just reading your thread - I have also two weeks ago sent a letter to shop direct group(who own littlewoods etc) listing all my accounts I have and had , asking for my payments back as I think they were useles . I have so far recieved one letter saying they are looking into my complaint.

So it will be interesting to see what happens with yours also ...

Thank goodness I found this site!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Been away for a few days so just catching up.

I have received a latter from Empire (went after them as well) and I dont really understand it.

In their reply they state that the policy was 'sold' in July 97 and prior to 2005 they did not have to comply with Financial Services Authority rules.

Does that mean that I do not have a leg to stand on to claim my ppi back?

They go on to say that I was given a set of Terms and Conditions and that was sufficent information to make the decision of whether I wanted the policy or not.

Thats not true I was never given a choice one month it was just there and I was never informed I could cancel it, I would have to have been pretty stupid to pay for an insurance for over 10 yrs for something I could never claim on. (and Im not stupid I was mis informed)

Good Morning

Please does anyone know if I can claim or not because I really dont understand their letter about FSA rules.

Hello Msowning,

That is just a standard "you can't get us" letter:rolleyes:

Any claims before 2005 the Financial ombudsman service will not look at:mad:

This is because financial companies were not regulated by the financial services authority, they came into power sometime in 2005.

They try to hide behind this fact, hoping that you will feel there is no-one to turn too and stop the complaint:mad:

But you must let them know that you are not going away without the refund of your money:-D

You have the option of taking them to the small claims court, that will make them sit up and take notice:grin:

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Thanks hellhasnofury.

Sent letter today with I dont accept your letter.

Along with my DWP letter to say I wasn't working lets see them get out of that one :D .

Will definately be considering taking them to small claims court they owe me account cover for 10yrs of payments.

Had a reply from Great Universal regarding account cover. They basically say that they phoned me to agree to account cover when I opened account but as records only go back to 2002 they cannot confirm this. (Thats not true account cover didnt exist when I opened account in 1996). They say they had a sales script when I accepted the cover and certificate was sent out and I had 30 days to cancel. (Again not true).

Then they say that as the insurance was taken out over the phone there was nno paperwwork to be signed.

Also they say as the policy was taken out befor 5/11/04 I am not able to complain to FOS as they were not a member of a Dispute Resolution Service until that date FOS wil not even consider my complaint and that the first letter is their last letter.

Are they correct and dont I have a leg to stand on?

Had a reply from Great Universal regarding account cover. They basically say that they phoned me to agree to account cover when I opened account but as records only go back to 2002 they cannot confirm this. (Thats not true account cover didnt exist when I opened account in 1996). They say they had a sales script when I accepted the cover and certificate was sent out and I had 30 days to cancel. (Again not true).

Then they say that as the insurance was taken out over the phone there was nno paperwwork to be signed.

Also they say as the policy was taken out befor 5/11/04 I am not able to complain to FOS as they were not a member of a Dispute Resolution Service until that date FOS wil not even consider my complaint and that the first letter is their last letter.

Are they correct and dont I have a leg to stand on?

Hello msowing,

To put it into context, you know it was mis-sold, they know they mis-sold it, but they are hiding behind the fact that they know the fos will not investigate the claim because date of the account. If they do not have evidence that you agreed to it, all the better for you

Now your options are, either believe everything they tell you, or take them to court

Thanks hellhasnofury.

I am not going to believe everything they have said and I am now going to sent they the same letter I sent to Empire with copy of DWP letter.

Guess I could be keeping small claims court busy as I will proably get same letter from Littlewoods.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Empire have written their final response. Again they say that because they werent regulated when I took out insurance I can go take a running jump and I dont have a leg to stand on and they win so dont write to them again. My proof of not working doesnt mean anything to them. They put leaflets in about FOS because they say they have to but basically dont bother contacting them becaue they wont do anything.

Ok now i'm ready to get them. Someone help please on what my next move is? Do I write to them again using letter before action stating i'm going to take them to court? or do I just file with small claims court? Any help will be appreciated

• 1 year later...

Hope ive posted in the right place.

Quick history

Wrote to Empire Stores [Redcats] back in April re PPI mis selling, didnt hear anything so sent a second letter, had a letter back from them 4th June saying they were looking into my complaint.

I heard nothing until yesterday when I received a letter from Shop Direct which now own Empire [Redcats] saying that they are sorry its taken so long but they can do nothing because when the account was opened they didnt own Empire Stores [its taken them over 2 months to write that] and that I should now start again and write to Empire Stores at Canal St Bradford. However I have been writing to Canal St Bradford I never ever wrote to Shop Direct which is in Liverpool. I have copies of all the letters and the Recorded Delivery slips. :confused:

Anyone have any idea on what my next move should be??

I havent yet sent a SAR. Should I??

Thanks in advance

This is the information from Companies House:

Name & Registered Office:

EMPIRE STORES LIMITED

2 HOLDSWORTH STREET

BRADFORD

WEST YORKSHIRE

BD1 4AH

Company No. 00127015

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif Status: Active

Date of Incorporation: 06/02/1913

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

5261 - Retail sale via mail order houses

Accounting Reference Date: 31/12

Last Accounts Made Up To: 29/12/2007 (DORMANT)

Next Accounts Due: 31/10/2009

Last Return Made Up To: 22/10/2008

Next Return Due: 19/11/2009

Last Members List: 22/10/2008

Previous Names: Date of change Previous Name

11/01/2000 EMPIRE HOME SHOPPING LIMITED

05/02/1990 E.ROBERTSHAW & CO.,LIMITED

06/03/2000 REDCATS (BRANDS ) LIMITED

Then this from the FSA Register:

Empire Motors BT36 4WX No longer Authorised

Empire Property Management Ltd CV1 5PW Introducer A.R.

Empire Travel and Insurance Services Ltd W6 9NH Empire Travel And Insurance Services Ltd Appointed Representative

Mortgage Empire Ltd WV4 6JX Mortgage Empire Appointed Representative - Former

Norbert Ogakwu HP2 7RG Empire Mortgage And Finance, Mortgage Federation, Mortgage Force Nw002 Authorised

Redcats (Brands) Limited BD99 4XB Empire Stores Limited Introducer A.R. - Former

Redcats (Brands) Limited BD1 4AH Empire Store, Empire Stores, La Redoute, The Store, Vertbaudet Authorised

Southdale Ltd E1 4LB Empire Estates Introducer A.R. - Former

SSB Investments Ltd TW4 7EZ Ssb Investments LtdEmpire Estates Introducer A.R.

Travel Empire Ltd S73 8HB Appointed Representative

Which leads to this on the empire links:

201500 - Redcats (Brands) Limited

Current status: Introducer A.R. - Former Effective Date: 05/11/1999 Tied Agent:

Undertakes Insurance Mediation:

Registered under Money Laundering Regulations:

Address: 18 Canal Road

Bradford

West Yorkshire

BD99 4XB

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

44 01274 729 544

44 01274 763 884

Or this:

312583 - Redcats (Brands) Limited

Current status: Authorised Effective Date: 14/01/2005 Tied Agent:

Undertakes Insurance Mediation: Y Registered under Money Laundering Regulations:

Address: 2 Holdsworth Street

Bradford

West Yorkshire

BD1 4AH

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

44 01274 729 544

44 01274 731 721

No e-mail address supplied

http://www.laredoute.co.uk

Notices: Unable to hold client money.

Then there is this on shop direct from companies house:

Name & Registered Office:

SHOP DIRECT LIMITED

FIRST FLOOR, SKYWAYS HOUSE

SPEKE ROAD

SPEKE

LIVERPOOL

L70 1AB

Company No. 04730752

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif Status: Active

Date of Incorporation: 11/04/2003

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7415 - Holding companies including head offices

Accounting Reference Date: 30/04

Last Accounts Made Up To: 30/04/2008 (FULL)

Next Accounts Due: 31/01/2010

Last Return Made Up To: 11/04/2009

Next Return Due: 09/05/2010

Last Members List: 11/04/2009

Previous Names: Date of change Previous Name 07/05/2003 2207TH SINGLE MEMBER SHELF INVESTMENT COMPANY LIMITED 06/05/2008 MARCH U.K. LIMITED Branch Details

There are however a lot of shop directs listed in companies house:

SHOP DIRECT LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT COMPANY DIRECTOR LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT CONTACT CENTRES LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT FINANCE COMPANY LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT FINANCIAL SERVICES LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT GROUP

SHOP DIRECT GROUP FINANCIAL SERVICES LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT HOME SHOPPING LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT LICENSING LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT ONE LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT ONLINE LIMITED

05807745 D SHOP DIRECTOR LIMITED Dissolved 03191443

SHOP DIRECT SECRETARIAL SERVICES LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT TRUSTEES LIMITED

SHOP DIRECT 247 LTD

SHOP DIRECT (UK) LIMITED

This is the link for companies house so you can carry on with your searches...

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/9500f4e09ac78aee6cb08d5acbb4d970/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

From the FSA Register this is what comes up with a search for shop direct:

Shop Direct Contact Centre Ltd PR1 4BR Appointed Representative

Shop Direct Finance Company Limited L30 1SL Littlewoods Finance Company LimitedLittlewoods Authorised

Shop Direct Financial Services Ltd L30 1SL Shop Direct Authorised - Applied to Cancel

Shop Direct Group Limited M60 6EQ Abound, Additions Direct, Choice, Choice For You, Great Universal Essentials, Great Universal Stores... Appointed Representative - Former

Shop Direct Group Ltd M60 6EQ Gus Home Shopping LimitedChoice, Family Album, Fashion Extra, Great Universal, Gus Home Shopping, John England... Introducer A.R. - Former

Shop Direct Home Shopping Ltd L70 1AB Littlewoods Home Shopping Limited, Littlewoods Shop Direct Home Shopping...Abound, Additions, Choice, Choice For You, Great Universal, Great Universal Essentials...

and this is the link to the FSA register:

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/firmMainSearch.do

Hope this helps you out.

aa

Edited by alanalana
text adjust and additions

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

You are welcome keep posting. A lot of information I know but it gives you the tools to dig further ;)

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I am now going after Littlewoods again, tried last yr but gave up i wasnt as clued up then.

I have received my SAR from them and found that I have paid £700 in ppi between 2003-2006 :eek:.

My question is, Do I have to write to them first just asking for a refund [knowing last yr they said no], or do I send a demand for a full refund plus interest straight off.

I know it was mis sold I wasnt working I was on benefits.

There was also no insurance documents in SAR either.

Thanks in advance

I would send in a new letter with the interest added.

Keep me up dated as i will also be going after littlewoods so maybe we can help each other on this one?

Thanks livingdeadguy, will do it later.

I've got 2 claims in already with Shop Direct Group, Empire Stores and Great Universal. Empire are just pi**ing me around so I am awaiting SAR from them so that I can send payment request. Great Universal have point blank refused even told me I couldnt go to FOS. Did it anyway and I am awaiting FOS decision.

Good Luck with your claim they are not an easy bunch to crack.

You should now be checking the link i have just posted in the PPI forum which names and shames the financial industry and use it to good effect.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

You should now be checking the link i have just posted in the PPI forum which names and shames the financial industry and use it to good effect.

PF

Thanks PF

Will include in my letter that FOS has already upheld complaints.