Contract until June but contract changing?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently rent a double room [with use of the rest of the house] in a 3 bedroom property with a live in landlord who uses one of the other rooms, with the 3rd room being spare. I moved in during the middle of December.

Yesterday, my landlord told me she will be moving out as she is buying another property [she wants to live in a property and rent out the other, and it's to do with the type of mortgages etc]. She advised she will now be renting out the spare room, and will be renting out her room.

I explained I wasn't happy with this as, before I moved in, I asked her if she would be renting the spare room and she said she wouldn't. Also the fact I met her etc and I was due to be sharing with her, and this will now change. This was part of my criteria when moving - budget, commuting distance and sharing with one other only, which I explained to her.

She didn't seem happy but understood and agreed to return my deposit [suffice to everythign being in a satisfactory condition] if I leave before June which is when the original agreement finishes.

I would like the below sorted / will put in writing but does this sound reasonable and is there anything else I should think of?

- want in writing that she will return deposit if I leave before June

- want a lock put on my door within next two weeks [believe this should have been done already, can anybody point me to legislation please?]

- want a month's notice before anybody else moves into the property

- if I am there and somebody else moves in before June, I want a reduced rent rate

To explain the last point, my rent includes bills. If this will be split 3 ways not 2 then I'm not prepared to pay as much and also I am happy with current rate if only two people sharing but not if there's three people.

Also, I would like some sort of compensation for this hassle. Is there anyway of going about this?

The other thing which I think is "on my side" is not being able to stay there next month as she has 9 people staying over [this is a weeknight, and partly why I want the lock done in advance] and a previous night when her family turned up at midnight, I had to let them in [as she wasn't home], I had a very disturbed night and they left the house in such a tip the next day and didn't get home to 9pm I couldn't cook etc. I know some of the above are niggly issues [and there are more].

The main point is things are changing and not as agreed and am not happy!

Yes I have a signed agreement, which states things such as bills are included, date rent is due, amount of rent and that I am there until June and then go onto a one month rolling contract.

Do you have a written agreement? If not are you not classified as a logger?

Would make no difference. If you live with your landlord you are classed as a lodger anyway. You have no potection and rights to speak of. The only way you could ever try and inforce any of the terms of the contract would be retrospectivley in the county court.

Try and get her to agree to what ever you can. Im affraid I dont see why you think you should be entitled to a reduction in rent/bills ete, to be perfectly honest.

You wouldnt get a penny of compensation for hassle etc in mho.

It comes with the territory of having no protection as a lodger. If you make to much of a fuss you could find yourself out on your ear with little recourse.

Sorry if I sound unsympethetic, im not, its just theres very little support/protection for you. Just take what you can get.

Good Luck

Try and get her to agree to what ever you can. Im affraid I dont see why you think you should be entitled to a reduction in rent/bills ete, to be perfectly honest.

Some bills will increase, eg heating etc, others such as council tax won't. My rent includes bills, so why should I pay the same if they're split 3 ways and not 2?

Also the other factor is that I have it in writing that she would not be renting out the spare room - this was an important criteria for me when I moved in, and if I knew she would be planning to rent it out whilst I was there, I would most likely have not moved in or if I had arranged a negotiated rate for when someone did - don't see why I should pay the same when sharing with two people instead of one as things have changed.

Some bills will increase, eg heating etc, others such as council tax won't. My rent includes bills, so why should I pay the same if they're split 3 ways and not 2?

Also the other factor is that I have it in writing that she would not be renting out the spare room - this was an important criteria for me when I moved in, and if I knew she would be planning to rent it out whilst I was there, I would most likely have not moved in or if I had arranged a negotiated rate for when someone did - don't see why I should pay the same when sharing with two people instead of one as things have changed.

To be honest with you what you have isnt worth the paper its written on. Being a lodger means that there is no statutory regulation in place to enforce such a "contract".

Your landlady is entitled to charge what she likes, your response is to stay or move, unfortunatley she holds all the cards. Its worth asking if she will reduce your rent, but shes under no obligation to.

She would appear to be reasonably trying to accomodate your other requests? - note that she is under no obligation to do this either.

I dont really know what else to say to you, just try and if something isnt to your satisfaction, then your only real response is to move out and consider county court action.

Until researching it over last couple of days I didn't realise that lodgers had little rights.....

Understand she holds the cards on this one unfortunately, it still stands I wouldn't have signed contract / moved there if I knew this would happen.

Not sure re your point re reasonably trying to accomodate requests? She hasn't managed to accomodate anything in which I would call a reasonable timeframe [ie use of fridge / freezer as agreed before I moved in took two months to get any freezer space....] as one example. And me having to stay away in the middle of March?? That's not her accommodating my requests....I'd like to be able to be there! :)

I will be moving out imminently now....