SRJ Recovery (on behalf of E.On)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondered if anyone could give me a little bit of advice about this please.

From July 2004 to April 2005 we lived in a rented property which the landlord insisted was fitted with a pre-payment meter so we had to buy cards from our local shop and insert them into the meter.

At the beginning of this month I received a letter from these SRJ people claiming I owe them £50.82.

The letter went on and on about how they had made numerous attempts to contact us - we had mail re-direction set up, we contacted all our suppliers to let them know of our change of address, and we still have an account with E.On now and in all that time they haven't contacted us at all.

Obviously, I can dispute the debt exists due to the fact we had a pre-payment meter fitted, but am I right in saying that once 2 years have passed with no contact the energy companies can't enforce the debt anyway?

I've written to SRJ but they are denying any letters have been received, I've phoned them and told them I dispute the debt, but I've received another letter today threatening me with all sorts of dire consequences.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry I've not been back to this thread before now but my internet connection has been playing up.

I've managed to mislay my first letter from them but in reply I wrote (I don't have a scanner so excuse the typing)

Further to your correspondence, I am writing as I would like to formally dispute this debt exists.

We lived at the rental property in *** from April 2004 – August 2005 and during our tenancy there the property was fitted with a pre-payment meter.

We therefore believe that no debt can exist for electricity supply during this time and request that you provide us with proof and further information with regard to this matter.

I also dispute your claim that you have made numerous attempts to contact us. We left the property in August 2005, leaving a forwarding address with the letting agent, and Royal Mail mail forwarding. No information has been received from yourselves or E.On in over 2½ years

I expect this to be treated as a matter of urgency and look forward to receiving this information.

I then received the following letter from them so I resent the above letter again

NOTICE OF ISSUE OF LITIGATION PROCEEDINGS

Dear Sir/Madam

You have failed to arrange and/or maintain a payment plan on this debt and it is now our clients intention to issue litigation proceedings to recover the overdue sums through your local court.

Solicitor costs, court fees and interest will be added to your account

Once a Claim is issues and a court judgment obtained, failure to pay could result in one of the following enforcement actions:

* execution of warrant

* attachment of earnings

* charging order

* bankruptcy

even at this late stage, i am able to help you arrange an affordable payment plan to fit in with your expenditure budget but you must contact me immediately.

Yours faithfully

blah, blah, blah

Any ideas please? They haven't contacted me in 2.5 years and I thought there was some kind of limit anyway, not that they can really chase me for payment when we had a pre-payment meter in the first place.

Thanks!

Edited to add - I have contacted Energy Watch but they weren't overly helpful