Techie Help Needed Please!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All you techies out there, be nice to me - I am not techie at all :rolleyes:

I've managed to boot up the new 'puter (it's on Vista btw) but I can't seem to download Skype onto it at all. When I try to download, all I get is a message saying ".exe is not a valid Win32 Application".

I've had a look at Skype problem page but I haven't got time to read everything on there :wink:

Anyone got any quick solutions?

Erm, don't ask me what happened. I decided on a re-boot and Skype miraculously appeared. It also "knew" who I was and signed me in as Brassedoff2 :confused:

Oh well, at least I have it now :D

And for my next trick...... I have windows XP on old 'puter and Vista on new 'puter. I want to transfer all my word docs from the old 'puter to new 'puter. The new 'puter is Vista. Can it be done?

yes, because your documents are in Word or Excel and that doesnt change because the OS will automatically recognise them, although I dont know about a quick way to do it lol

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

what version of office were you using on XP? actuall y it shouldnt matter cos the latest version of Office, will recognise those that have gone before

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

If old PC and new PC are networked , you can just transfer from 1 to the other.

Otherwise, you can open a free to try account HERE, (doesn't have to be that ome, there's plenty of them on the net) which gives you 14 days, u/load your files there from old PC and d/l to new PC, voila. :-D

I have desktop running XP with Office 2003 and lappy running Vista Ultimate and Office 2007. Lappy has no problem recognising docs saved as

Word 2003 and simply saves them on it's hardrive as complaint with Word1997-2003documents.

If old PC and new PC are networked , you can just transfer from 1 to the other.

Otherwise, you can open a free to try account HERE, (doesn't have to be that ome, there's plenty of them on the net) which gives you 14 days, u/load your files there from old PC and d/l to new PC, voila. :-D

Hmm, one for Mr Bo methinks Bookie :D I'll get him to have a look at this thread ;)

I have desktop running XP with Office 2003 and lappy running Vista Ultimate and Office 2007. Lappy has no problem recognising docs saved as

Word 2003 and simply saves them on it's hardrive as complaint with Word1997-2003documents.

Yes, we had Office 2007 installed at work a while back and at first had to save into Word1997-2003 documents until it was installed on all the comps.

Erm, don't mention lappys to me Robd :eek: That's the reason I couldn't get on CAG at New Year :mad: And it's still not up and running - something to do with memory and AOL :rolleyes: Says it all really.

Will probably be posting on here again when I've showed the thread to Mr Bo.

Thanks for the info girls !!

Erm, not techie Honey but I do vaguely remember Mr Bo trying to transfer from old to new comp at New Year. Not sure if that means they were networked or not :confused:

I know that I can take a wire out of one box and put it in the other to boot up old comp if that helps?

Bo, Don't touch it with a fork!!!!!

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Office 2007 will read all Office 2003 files (and vice-versa with Micro$oft's compatibility patch).

From experience the "patch" isn't needed.

The only thing you MUST remember is to save documents from 2007 in 2003 format, basically .DOC rather than the newer .DOCX

Here's how to do it with pics: How do I save word documents in Office 2007 so they can be opened in older versions of Office?

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

or........... buy a caddy get mr BO to take the old hdd out of the other puter and connect via the usb cable to the new one then you can transfer everything onto the new puter that was on the old one :)

just had to do the same thing with this silly thing and its vista too

youll get them cheaper elsewhere most likely but to show you what i mean

Maplin > hard disk caddy

(this way you get to clear the old one and keep a spare too ;) )

honey x

Then, once you've whisked the two egg whites, add a little salt and give them a shake. Then place them in an oven, gas mark 7.:p

• Haha 1
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert