sold car on HP - consequences?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can you help. I had a car on Hp and I signed it to my friend who was in need of a car, he has since sold the car on. I am in arrears on my payments for 2 months but am bringing that up to date on Friday.

The Finance company after investigating are aware that I no longer own the car and say the rest of the agreement needs to be paid up.

I can't afford it all at once - what can they do about it?

Please help

Thanks

As the car still belongs to the finance company, if you don't pay or come to some arrangement to pay then they will go around to the new owners house and simply collect their property and then you will have the finance company wanting any outstanding amount from you after they have auctioned the car, and the new owner on your friends back wanting his money returned.

If your friend wasn't aware that it was financed then he will be on your back as well wanting his money returned.

If you buy something on credit, i.e. a Credit Sale, you borrow the money to buy the goods which become your property to do with as you wish. Your obligation is to repay the loan to the credit company.

If you buy goods on Hire Purchase, the HP Company buys the goods and in return for your HP payments, gives you the use of the goods..... The Hire part of the agreement.

The goods remain the property of the HP company until you make the final payment.... which is the Purchase part of the agreement. Under the terms of the HP agreement you should not dispose of the goods without the express permission of the HP company, who actually own them.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Ok no money exchanged hands between me and my friend, (who did know it was financed) I don't know about him and the new purchaser though!

I will find out if its a credit Sale or and HP agreement but if it is an HP agreement. Can they force me to pay the money all at once or send recovery agents round for something of the same value or do I have a right to continue paying the money in installments?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I 'm curious to know when the HP agreement ends, if anyone knows?

What I mean is... does the HP agreement end when the money borrowed is paid in full? Sounds obvious I know, but what if you have incurred charges? Is the 'HP' agreement still in force until the charges such as late payments, default notices, etc, etc, are paid? Or are the charges now a seperate issue?

D