What to do

themusicman9
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi people

I have recently started dialysis, but during the run up to it i was told i could claim DLA.

Now my situation is that im a full time student and im not sure if that is hindering me with my claim even though DLA is not means tested. Even though i care for myself and im quite able to do most tasks, i get out of breath after 20 mins , sometime i get dizzy spells etc. I have explained all this in the DLA form but they seem to take the fact that no one needs to help me as the main point and therefore the whole application gets throwns out.

As a student im limited to what time i have to work, i can do over the summer with no problem, but now with me being on dialysis the job i had is physical and so will be off limits as will most other jobs that id normally be able to go for . I just need some advice in claiming the right benefit, my community nurse says im entitled to carers allowance and mobility and i have spoken to other people in the same boat as me who are already getting this benefit, so im confused

Can anyone help me here???

Ed

Hi themusicman9 and welcome to cag. Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully someone more knowlegable on benefits will be along soon to offer advice. I was just wondering if you have appealed the decision?

Im in the process of doing that, im writing a letter and basically im telling them they need to ring the people who know about my condition, like my community nurse. They have just gone off what ive put on the form and even though they have assessed it that way i feel they need to contact people on it to get a better understanding.

Another thing that im worrried about is what job can i go for now that will take me seriously as even though theres laws to help and protect me , i know for a fact that companies are biased in this dept.

Ed

hi musicman; you can get DLA whilst studying without any problems (unless there are obvious and striking issues like studying music whilst profoundly deaf etc). Are you in receipt of Disabled Student Allowance?

Your university or college should have a disability service/advice centre- talk to them about your DLA claim, it's their bread and butter.

Care needs for DLA are often seriously underestimated; claimants think that if they manage, they don't have care needs. But the issues is: how do they manage? Is is effortless or is it a struggle? Do they manage because they have to? If they had a choice, would they do tasks which they barely manage?

In real world we often have no choice; there is no valet dressing us up in the morning, no nurse reminding and preparing meds, no chefs, no personal shoppers. For DLA claim however we have to have a good, hard look at ourselves: how hard is it to manage? It's a very distressing experience. Nobody likes to be helpless, relying on others, struggling with basic stuff.

It is also very important to always describe how it is on the worst day.

Traumatic and enlightning at the same time. We are ill but we are very very brave.

There are lots of fabulous resources online to help you with your claim. please check this post http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/125283-useful-links.html#post1309826

also it would be really great to find an adviser to go over your claim with you.

Remember; lay it on thick. If you've got it- flaunt it. If fate screwed you up, at least get some dsh out of it. And so on and on, whatever works for you mate :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just been thinking, ive been looking at the form that i sent to the DWP and i didnt put any stuff down about care needs. It asks if i need any help but i know i can manage myself so thats why i didnt put anything down

So what way do i look at this , am i entitiled because i care for myself or do i have to have a carer for me to be entitled, i know it sounds odd, i mean ill hardly be able to say to them thatb ill stop caring for myself if they dont start playing ball. Im just unsurew about how to approach the whole thing

Ed

If you have already sent off your DLA application, you need to call the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 88 22 00, explain that you have sought further advice because you realised you misunderstood the "care needs" questions and you'd like to need to amend your form. Ask them what is process for doing this. In the meantime, try to arrange an appointment with your local CAB or disability adviser to prepare a statement with regards to your needs.

In answer to your question: "am i entitiled because i care for myself or do i have to have a carer for me to be entitled"

You are entitled if you have care needs regardless whether you have a carer or not. If you need help (regardless whether this help is forthcoming or not) with specific tasks due to your health problems, in comparison with others, who do not have these health problems, then you suffer an extra burden.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]