Broadband issues - lost!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has a cure for this problem I am having.

About 70% of the time, web pages load fine - and fast.

I have an 8meg ADSL line, and when testing the speed it comes up as expected. I can download huge files in no time so I know the connection is fine.

However, about 30% of the time a web page will simply time out - this site, google, M$, it doesn't matter which - it's like port 80 is being throttled.

I've run some network software, checked who is connected to my router (no-one other than the machines in my house) and there appears to be nothing wrong, yet, I have to sit there and continuously click refresh until a page will load.

It's not a problem with the PC, I have 2 others that I have tried on the same network and the problem occures with all of them.

2 are running Linux and one is running WinXP.

Help!! I don't know where to look next.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I had exactly the same problem start a few weeks back. Nothing was changed on my pc. Happens at all times of day and night. Not annoyed me enough to phone up support yet. I'm with BT broadband for the record. That would usually mean a frustrating phone call to India. Also, it seems to affect my hotmail accounts a lot. Maybe there's a wider issue here.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

I was starting to think that the issue may be wider than just my connection.

Many friends have reported similar issues, despite being connected with different ISPs.

...as to it being a DNS issue, I thought that myself, but the same thing occurrs if I access say, google, by IP.

It does seem to be random - I'm not sure if it happens at exactly the same time on all machines, as they are in different rooms and the problem only happens for say 10-15 seconds at a time.

Hmmm...this is a puzzle.

At first I thought it was the wireless network - I don't use wireless very much - IMO, wireless just isn't good enough yet, but it happens with my wired machines too.

It only appears to be port 80, so the DNS was a good guess.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Also this could be a sync related issue.

You appear to be connected to your ISP but the sync has dropped and while it reacquires you lose connection.

Now I have this issue with the same symptoms, whereby my browser doesn't connect yet IM appears to still be unaffected.

My idea behind this is cached information on IM session yet the browser, being used more heavily, appears to have lost connection.

Sync issues do affect faster BB connection, especially if you are a distance from the exchange.

Now the only true resolution for this is to have your ISP resync your profile at a lower speed.

The real question here is can you live with some random disconnects or do you need a rock solid connection and hance a slightly lower speed ?

This only affects ADSL connections.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Hmm. Not sure about that - if I download a 1gb file for instance, there appears to be no break in the download speed of that file, I'll get a consistent (more-or-less) speed for the whole of the download.

If it were this sync issue (which I don't understand ;-) ) why would that only start to happen about a week ago?

------------

------------

Dave, I don't think you would lose the connection while the computer is actually doing something, it's when the computer is idle that this problem occurs. It is sometimes just down to traffic to and from the ISP that curses the connection to be dropped. Your not on a 'party' or shared line by any chance ??

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

While the connection is active during download syncing isn't an issue.

What triggers the BB to lose sync I don't know, but from what you are saying it does sound the most likely cause.

This issue can appear for no reason at all, from high winds and other weather, especially if your cables are on poles, to degrading of the cooper itself, to interference from other connected devices. Even things like failing filters or a lose telephone connection.

Next time it happens, log on to your router and check the connection.

I'm willing to bet this is the problem.

i had this problem a while back (thought it was that daft vista again :rolleyes: )

then one night the kids wanted something on pay per view on sky and there was a box comming up saying that there was no phone connection :confused:

rang sky explained.... she said well your phone mustnt be plugged in dohhhhhhhhhh, im ringing you from it :confused:

when all came to all there was a loose wire in oneof the phone connection sockets

honey x

What I mean is, even while downloading a huge file without interuptions, I can load pages about 70% of the time, the other 30% the pages won't load until I refresh them about 20-30 times - all the while the speed of the downloading file is unfaltered.

I have already checked the routers connection while this happens and it reports that everything is fine and connected ok.

I'm not sure what the page filing is though?

I will have a check of the phone cables when I get in tonight.

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

------------

------------

As for the wiring worth having a look at these two sites:

Simple stuff: DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

A LOT more advanced : Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

I optimised my cabling and GAINED 2 mbps on my connection !!

Ok I still get the occasional drop outs, but I am pushing the limits.

Page filing revisted...again! - SpeedGuide.net Broadband Community

when i had the page filing issue id did keep knocking me off and not allowing me to open pages as i normally would, it also affected the other 3 puters that were linked to this one at the time, as this is the "feeder puter"

didnt have any adverse effects on dls either

anyways :) hope you get it sorted soon, its really frustrating

You know Honey I have never encountered that particular issue.

Mind you I suppose that's because I was brought up with 95/98 and NT where you had to get it right for everyday work anyway.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the advice chaps (and chappesses).

You might have something with the cables you know - my phone socket is hanging out of the wall (Bloody builder bought the wrong socket and never came back as per the 'I'll be back next week to finish off' (left me with bloody broken wall lights, no carpet dividers and removed the airbrick so now the place is damp as hell))

The funny thing is, when I use ADLS speed checking sites, the speeds I am getting are usually in excess of what I am paying for, and you wouldn't believe it if you saw the wiring!

------------

------------

Ahhh - Page Filing! Now I get you. I don't even know if Linux works the same way; I'll have a search round.

Mind you, all my machines go through a router, so it's unlikely that they would all have developed the same problem at the same time.

------------

------------

Hmmm...it's not looking like the pagefile issue is the problem - Linux works in a similar way, but I have a 8gb partition set up for that, plus 8gb of RAM so it's unlikely - thanks though. I have increased the cache limit in Firefox and it seems to be a little better, but it's hard to tell.

------------

------------

Well, it seems to be solved.

I swapped the primary dns for the secondary and it's been fine since - time will tellI suppose.

Must have had a problem with the primary (odd though - you'd think it would just slip down to the secondary!)

------------

------------