Buchanan Clark and Wells/ EDF Energy

hamilton123

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter yesterday from Buchanan Clark and Wells with Formal Demand on the top saying that EDF Energy had instructed them to collect 56 pounds from me. I'm not sure what this relates to ... it could be from a flat we lived in about 3 years ago, although i thought we'd settled up.

I googled them today to check it wasn't a [problem] and came across this site. From reading a lot of the threads i get the impression I shouldn't call them as they'll just try to get my phone number and hassle me that way too. I'm happy to pay the amount if they can prove i owe it, although i don't want to tell them that obviously.

How can i get proof from them about the debt? Should i ring EDF Energy? Should i send them the template letter i found in one of the other threads requesting the credit agreement under the Credit Consumer Act, or do you not get that with utilities (is that only for proper loans)?

Sorry for all the questions ... i'm a but phased by this as we always try to pay our bills on time. My wife is quite worried about it, although presumably for such a small amount they won't send anyone around.

Thanks

send them this letter amended to suit

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your Name) Print do not sign

hope that helps

saint

• Haha 1

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, hope you will excuse me jumping in on this thread, it appears to be more applicable to my present situation with BCW.

I sent the letter as suggested above (recorded delivery) and today received a reply stating: "I can confirm that I have arranged for a copy of the invoice to be sent to you directly by our Clients. This will be with you as soon as possible"

Any advice on my next move would be appreciated.