• Tweets

• it is NOT A FINE.....this is an extremely important point to understand no-one bar a magistrate in a magistrates criminal court can ever fine anyone for anything. Private Parking Tickets (speculative invoices) are NOT a criminal matter, merely a speculative contractual Civil matter hence they can only try a speculative monetary claim via the civil county court system (which is no more a legal powers matter than what any member of Joe Public can do). Until/unless they do raise a county court claim a CCJ and win, there are not ANY enforcement powers they can undertake other than using a DCA, whom are legally powerless and are not BAILIFFS. Penalty Charge Notices issued by local authorities etc were decriminalised years ago - meaning they no longer can progress a claim to the magistrates court to enforce, but go directly to legal enforcement via a real BAILIFF themselves. 10'000 of people waste £m's paying private parking companies because they think they are FINES...and the media do not help either. the more people read the above the less income this shark industry get. where your post said fine it now says charge .............. please fill out the Q&A ASAP. dx  
    • Well done on reading the other threads. If ECP haven't got the guts to do court then there is no reason to pay them. From other threads there is a 35-minute free stay after which you need to pay, with the signs hidden where no-one will read them.  Which probably explains why ECP threaten this & threaten that, but in the end daren't do court. As for your employer - well you can out yourself as the driver to ECP so the hamster bedding will arrive at yours.  Get your employer to do that using the e-mail address under Appeals and Transfer Of Liability.  
    • good you are getting there. Lloyds/TSb...i certainly would not be risking possible off-setting going on if a choice were there, but in all honestly thats obv too late now..., however..you might not never be in that situation so dont worry too much. regardless to being defaulted or not, if any debt that is not paid/used in 6yrs it becomes statute barred. you need to understand a couple of things like 'default' and 'default notice' a default is simply a recorded D in the calendar section/history of a debt, it does not really mean anything. might slightly hit your rating. the important thing here is a default notice , these are issued by the original creditor (OC) under the consumer credit act, it gives you 14 days to settle whatever they are asking, if you don't then they have the option to register a defaulted date on your credit file. that can make getting other credit more difficult. and hits your rating. once that happens, not matter what you do after that, paying it or not or not paid off or not, the whole account vanishes from your credit file on the DN's 6th b'day. though that might not necessarily mean the debt is not still owed - thats down to the SB date above. an OC very rarely does court and only the OWNER of a debt can instigate any court action (Attempted a CCJ) DCA's debt collection agencies - DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS they have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's TYPE. an OC make pass a debt to a dca as their client to try and spoof people into paying through legal ignorance of the above statement. an OC may SELL on an old debt to a DCA/debt buyer (approx 10p=£1) and then claim their losses through tax write off and their business insurance, wiping their hands of the debt. the DCA then becomes the debt OWNER. since the late 70's dca's pull all kinds of 'stunts' through threat-o-grams to spoof a debtor into paying them the full value of the debt, when they bought if for a discounted sum (typically 10p=£1). you never pay a dca a penny! if read carefully, NONE of their letters nor those of any other 'trading names' they spoof themselves under making it seem it's going up some kind of legitimate legal 'chain' say WILL anything....just carefully worded letters with all kinds of threats of what could/might/poss happen with other such words as instruct forward pass... well my dog does not sit when instructed too...so... DCA's SOMETIMES will issue a court claim, but in all honesty its simply a speculative claim hoping mugs wet themselves and cough up...oh im going to court... BIG DEAL DCA - show me the enforceable paperwork signed by me...9/10 they dont have it and if your defence is conducted properly, most run away from you . however before they do all that they now have to send a letter of claim, cause the courts got fed up with them issuing +750'000PA speculative claims and jamming up the legal system. so bottom line is two conclusions.... if you cant pay a debt, get a DN issued ASAP (stop paying it!) make sure it gets registered on your file then it stops hurting your file/future credit in 6yrs regardless to what happens (bar of course a later DCA CCJ - fat chance mind!)  once you've a registered DN , then look into restarting payments if the debt is still owed by the OC, if SOLD to a DCA, don't pay - see if they issue a letter of claim (then comeback here!).        
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Warnes v NW

Stewpot42
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just took my letter into the branch to get them to post off to Head office for me.

(got no nails left - and i dont normally bite my nails!)

Sent off the letter requesting Data off them with £10 fee enclosed, just waiting to hear from them now.

Heres hoping!

:| worried and stressed:|

Nationwide! Here i come, could be alot of money they might have to pay me back:eek:

Data request letter sent 04/06/06 via Hull Branch Nationwide.

Hull financial consultant called ME to help 04/06/06

:smile:Refunded £1200, 19/07/06, still going for the rest of it though!

LBA posted 22/09/06 claiming £2720!

D`oh! - put wrong amount in LBA - short by £1000!

Finally got the money to go to court 09/03/07

Acknowledged 13/03/07

No reply, so judgement issued 29 days after acknowledgment 14/04/07

DEFENCE FILED ??!! 09/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second Prelim sent 20/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

County court letter saying PAID UP 20/06/07 - although this wasnt the claimed amount, so i disputed it.

Still awaiting court date/decision due to OFT case.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received this e-mail off them on my internet banking, the 28 days notice they are refering to does not happen until after the event as i only get statements every 2 months. I am sure that they used to send you a letter saying they are going to take certain charges at a certain time?

Just like to add that when i logged in it was flashing in RED "you have an URGENT message"

Also just added up the last 2 years of chrages and it comes to £1587 so far and thats only 2 years!

Dear Mr Warnes,

If you wish to view the charges that have been applied to your account over the past 2 years, you can do so online.

To view a full statement, choose the full statement option towards the right at the top of the screen. You can then choose the dates between which you wish to see transactions whilst viewing a 'Full Statement'. Just above the statement select the option 'Enter my own dates' from the 'Select Period' drop down list. If you select this option, it will enable you to enter your own dates and view the last 27 months worth of transactions. Your account balance will be displayed at the bottom of the statement.

If you would like duplicate statements for this account, please contact our CallCentre on 08457 30 20 10 or visit your nearest Nationwide branch.

Please note that there is a £5.00 charge for each duplicate copy requested.

I can confirm you are giving 28 days notice before each charge debits your Flex account. This notice is given with your monthly statements.

I regret I am unable to provide a breakdown of the £30 charge.

Regards,

Rachel Floyd

Nationwide Direct

http://www.nationwide.co.uk

Nationwide. Proud to be different.

Nationwide! Here i come, could be alot of money they might have to pay me back:eek:

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

County court letter saying PAID UP 20/06/07 - although this wasnt the claimed amount, so i disputed it.

Sorry to reply to my own thread again, but just got a phone call of the hull branch as i phoned them to get an appointment to see someone about my account last week, but they never called me back.

However i explained my situation to the lady and she is getting the collections dept to ring me back, after i told her i was using the CONSUMERACTION groups advice.

Probably nothing will come of the phone conversation, but here is hoping.

Briany has just phoned me back, and said the department that deal with this will be back to me before the end of the week, as the government are apparently bringing in a legislation that will entitle people to get there charges back to a level of about £12.50, this other department should be calling me back to offer me a refund, please can someone tell me if i should continue to pursue for the total amount?

I will let you all know what they offer me as soon as i know.

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Hi do not except anything but the full amount.

this £12.50 legislation is still far to much around 60p is more likely the actual cost.

i am starting to think this legislation is putting a spanner in the works and slowing things down. It should have been addressed fairly and accurately instead they come to some nonsense figure.

Anyway good luck just follow the guide and make them pay you your money (the full amount)

REgards

Dave

Sent off my letter for data request + £10, but they sent it back saying they couldn`t take cash, so am gonna send them a rubber cheque instead! lol!

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

• 2 weeks later...

Never got much help from the Lady at the branch, and am now waiting for them to send the data requested back to me, been 1 week now.

Only concern at the moment now is my wife is quite unsupportive of me in my quest, oh well never mind, she might thank me for it if and when i get my money back.

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Just had £1200 refunded to my account today! No LBA or court threats, but this is only since August 2005, so i am still going for the rest of it.

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Wow! You are only the second I know that has had a part payment but definitely go for the rest...maybe your wife might be a bit happier now! (My hubby used to be like 'yes dear' when I mentioned it....until I got paid out and he started seeing Plasma Screen TV's!!!! )

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Just got 9!! cheque misuse fees applied AFTER they refunded the money to my account!! What was the point in refunding the money?

Been on the phone to Chrles Bacon trying to find out if and when i get my information off them, but he is on holiday till 31st July, so have got Hazel Bendry looking into it for me. Been waiting for only 2 weeks though so far.

If and when it goes to using MoneyClaim does it cost anything to use this website?

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

• 1 month later...

hi everybody, been away in holiday so haven`t been abl eto compile my list of charges yet, planning on doing it on tuesday onwards.

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Did you ever get the rest of it back? And did they close your account?

I would possibly email Charles Bacon, tell him you are going for the additional charges, that you are serious and have filed claim before and will do it again so it would be in their interests to pay before that stage. Be nice about it, it might get you somewhere.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

Have sent a PM with my letter to Mr.bacon to you Dolly, your input would be valued as to whether i shoudl change anything in my letter.

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Got your PM, will have a look properly tonight for you and get back to you later.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the standard "we're not paying anything as it was your fault letter" off nationwide, should i now send off the Letter before action?

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Having read the following letter, i am not sure that this is the correct one or not, please advise.

[20/09/06]

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxx

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last 6 years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £xxxx (this includes any previously refunded charges).

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above, I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

Stewart Warnes

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

No that is the prelim letter.

You have already sent that, haven't you?

The LBA is this one:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-letter-before-action-consumer.html

NO, i haven`t sent the previous prelim letter(dont think) i have sent a polite letter(the one you re-worded for me). All i have sent is the data request letter and that one so far, so do i send this prelim letter, or the LBA? As the polite letter could be construed as the prelim letter.

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

I would send the LBA, again wording in it that you have had some refunded already.

• 2 weeks later...

7 days and counting, still no reply yet? Am expecting standard, we#'re not payin letter tho!

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

I have asked this already, but if they dont reply to my LBA, do i file at court or use moneyclaim? and do either cost money to set in action?

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Okay, got a letter saying "we're sorry we couldn't deal with your complaint - we are handing your complaint over to member services", then got a letter the day after that one saying that "you agreed to the terms and conditions etc.. but we cant help you - go to the financial ombudsman".

So could someone tell me which stage to go to next as this is their 14 day reply to my LBA.

Cheers

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Hi Stewpot42

If you've waited 14 days from your LBA then proceed with court action - from what I understand if you are receiving benefits or tax credits then the courts will waive your fee and you must submit your claim to the local court on a N1 form with proof of income. This option is also handy if you are claiming compounded contractual interest as you have the space to submit your particulars of claim in full.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html

However, if you are claiming your charges plus the standard s69 8% interest then you can claim via MCOL and use the particulars of claim information from here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/34887-5-money-claim-line.html#post273915

Have a good look around and decide which option is best for you - I have submitted my claim this morning to our local court on a N1 Form and included on seperate sheets - Particulars of claim, summary of costs (ie post, S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) fee etc) plus the spreadsheets - my claim is for around £4,300 so it cost me £120 court costs but again you can claim these back too.

Good luck your nearly there now!

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x

Okay, but what if i cant afford to pay the court costs up front, and am not on any benefits?

Acknowledged 13/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

Then you have to wait until you can pay the costs, unfortunately.