In hotel lift that crashed!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my boyfriend and I were staying at the Sheraton, Seattle as he was working over there for a week and thats our company's preferred hotel, so on our penultimate nite we were getting the lift from the lobby floor to our room on the 6th floor, when suddenly the lift shuddered, dropped and all kind of emerg messages started bleating out! Then we heard "noises" from above the lift roof and were waiting to be decapitated as we assumed something was coming thru it.

I kept pushing the alarm button to no avail til i found the Emergency phone. I picked it up and was put thru to guest services to tell them what had happened etc... and asked how long would it be.

To cut a long story short, the lift engineer on site couldnt help us and we'd have to wait for the company's engineers to turn up.

I kept telling them i needed the bathroom and was really scared but they kept fobbing us off saying they were on their way (i ended up peeing in the lift cos i couldnt hold it any longer). They even cut us off a few times and pretended they couldnt hear us!

Nearly 2 hrs later, they managed to prise open the lift doors only to find we only had about 2 ins of floor showing (as we were between floors) and we couldnt get out that way! (it turned out to be a lift cable that had snapped).

They then lowered a ladder into the lift and asked us to climb out that way...(no firemen were called, only engineers were there).

I climbed out first which was hard as i was stuck between the ladder and roof tile but manged to clamber onto the roof of the lift amongst the cables etc.. and a LIVE lift still working next to us. My partner only just squeezed out thru sheer desperation only to find no member of management was present, just engineers and security guards.

When i looked at my clothes they were wrecked from the grease and grime from the cables and mechanisms on the lift and wil have to be binned.

That nite and the next morning we heard nothing until myself and a friend approached the duty mgr who was pretty flippant and offered me a personal shopper to come and meet me 2 get new clothes.

In the end we accepted our room to be paid for for the week, a meal for 4 of us the next nite and my clothes to be reimbursed when i send them the bills.

My question is: now its sunk in what happened, can i claim for more ie: trauma/stress etc.......???

They definately NEVER followed health and safety rules what with the live lift next to us and us being on top of the lift after drinking and the fact that no-one even bothered to ask how we were, not once?? And the degradation of having to pee in a four star hotel lift cos they couldnt get anyone in sooner?? (theres more to tell but i think ive got the jist of it across).

In all it was pretty scary and the thought of going in a lift again terrifies me!!

Can anyone advise me pls???

thanx

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

When did all this happen I pesronally hate elevators, and regularly climb up five flights of stairs at my employers.

Have you made a complaint to any of the following

• to the local authorities
  • to your travel company
  • to the hotels head office

If so what was their responses

I don't think anyone on here will be able to advise you correctly, as whatever you try to claim will come under US law.

If you have contacts there, I'd advise you to contact a NWNF lawyer there, and see what they advise, and whether what you have already accepted constitutes a F&F settlement or not, etc... If all we hear from the US is true, you'll get a much better deal that way. :rolleyes:

hi, in response to Old andrew, i only arrived back saturday and was straight back to work so havent had a chance to speak to anyone, apart from on here!! (tho their head office sounds good):wink:

Bookworm, what is an "NWNF" lawyer??? Sorry but ive never heard of them and wouldnt know where to start??

I dont have contacts there as such, just the yanks that my partner was working with and prob wont be in touch with again??

Thank u for yr replies tho, all info will help me. :)

Hi guys, Many thanx for your replies etc........

I'll email Cassie and at least try and find out where i stand, my other half doesnt want to pursue it any further but i think they got away lightly??

will keep you posted.

;)

how awful bonnie love sorry just read this been away a few days going away next week too but should have internet connection there this time hes promised me but back to your story what an awful holiday good job it wasnt me cos id still be there :eek:and as for the pm incident had a similar thing happen few years back when i got locked out :eek:so know exactly how u feel degrading very think u should sue defo but how i wouldnt know where to start love xxkia

Whilst I sympathise with you for the experience you had, however sometimes these things called accidents do happen. They had to get the lift company engineers to sort the problem hence the delay. What did you expect them to do, lower a bathroom into the lift for you? You also mention H&S and that you had been drinking as if that was their fault, would you have preferred for them to have left you there until you were totally sober....I doubt that very much. They offered you "In the end we accepted our room to be paid for for the week, a meal for 4 of us the next nite and my clothes to be reimbursed when i send them the bills" My advice for what it is worth, is get over it and be grateful you got out in one piece and without injury or worse.

• Haha 1

I cannot see, in the OP, where the lift 'crashed' rather than being stuck between floors. No-one appears to have been hurt, so I can see why the fire brigade were not reuquired. The damaged clothes were replaced and the hotel offered compensation by way of not charging for the room and a meal, which offer appears to have been accepted. Which (US) H&S laws does OP think were breached?

Whilst I can understand (having been in a similar situation, lavatorial emergency and all, myself), that it's unpleasant, frustrating and fairly frightening at the time, I can confirm that in the bigger scheme of things it is relatively minor and confidence in lifts soon returns.

To answer yr somewhat "sarky" response Chester, now ive "got over it" and calmed down i realise that Health and Safety rules were not followed, which the manager of the hotel even admitted to!!!

The fire brigade should have been called afer the engineers found we were between floors so that they could winch the lift up to floor level.

The fact that they didnt, they then should have put a harness on both of us as there was a shaft below us and a long drop and they should have also turned the lift off next to us which was still operating (the mgrs words not mine)!!!

There were other instances of H+S rules not being followed but i doubt that would change yr view of what happened.

To answer Scarlett............. we weren't just "stuck".... the lift cable snapped so it dropped over a floor and the cable crashed onto the roof, more frightening than just stopping and getting stuck dont u think??

I didnt post on here to get peoples personal views on what happened, just to see IF i could take it further, which i have mentioned i prob wont.

Pls keep yr personal opinions to yourself and unless you've been in that very frightening situation i dont think you can comment.:(

Guest Old_andrew2018

hi

well said, we all post on here for advice, it is possible as you proberbly know to highlight each posters and what they had said with regard to others threads by doing that you can work out which advice is valid, and who to ignore.

Back to your thread I think that by raising these issues you are helping to ensure that other people arn't going to be put at risk in the future, you clearly were put at risk of harm.

For your information I have been in exactly the same situation and yes at the time it is a little scary. However as previously stated accidents do happen, no harm was done and you got out in one piece with no injuries. Therefore my comments stand, get over it and move on. Your postings looked as though you were out to milk the situation for everything you possibly could, whereas your OH was happy to forget about it.

Guest Old_andrew2018
For your information I have been in exactly the same situation and yes at the time it is a little scary. However as previously stated accidents do happen, no harm was done and you got out in one piece with no injuries. Therefore my comments stand, get over it and move on. Your postings looked as though you were out to milk the situation for everything you possibly could, whereas your OH was happy to forget about it.

It is good to hear that you were unharmed, yes accidents happen, you could also say "I was lucky, it was fate", a near miss you might say. Please consider this, unless we report a near miss then risk assessments will not be updated.

What happens next, we read about a similar accident where people are injured, are we to blame off course not, but we may have prevented it by reporting what happened to us.

I read the OP differently, I feel that Bonnie is wishing to raise issues of health and safety, I wonder if the incident was reported to their regualtory authorities.

Here as you know we have RIDDOR, I am aware that some companies in England and Wales, have been lax in their reporting.

RIDDOR - Report an incident at work, I am not aware of the rules in Washington state.

Press on Bonnie it would be quite shocking to find a similar thing happened in another one of that groups hotels

Andy

Guest louis wu

Hi Bonnie.

I never get involved with any little arguments;), so will keep quiet about some of the posts here, but I will say that I am glad your okay, it must have been a nightmare.

I personally would make a start the way you are, and see where it ends up, after all, your in control of it now.

louis

my personal opinion and its not just cos shes a mate is that they didnt follow health and safety rules bottom line and personal attacks on bonnie dont help chester yoy are entitled to your opionion of course as is everyone but i felt that your comments were personal she just needed moral support apart from anything else i would if i saw my life flash before my eyes as i have when ive been knocked off my bike cos we could so easily have been looking at a different story on here and knowing bonnie for over a year now she does not glamorise something like this just wants her friends supporting her which we do.

i would keep on bonnie with what you deciede is the right move youll have plenty of support on here maybe just moral support as i dont know america well at all but support none the less:)xxkia

Guest louis wu

Whilst you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, it has been formed in a most uneducated way.

You know nothing personally of Bonnie or her OH, and yet you feel qualified to make specific accusations to their thoughts and behaviour. That shows a typical internet forum mentality for someone who hides behind a computer to make indiscriminate remarks about others, without thought or care of the consequences.

I think you've done nothing except make a fool of yourself with this post:roll:

Whilst I can understand (having been in a similar situation, lavatorial emergency and all, myself), that it's unpleasant, frustrating and fairly frightening at the time, I can confirm that in the bigger scheme of things it is relatively minor and confidence in lifts soon returns.

So because it was alright for you, it is automatically alright for anyone else caught in a remotely similar way. I'm sure you will agree, that without knowing the full picture, it's impossible to know exactly how Bonnie and her boyfriend were affected, which somewhat renders your comments as irrelevant.

louis

Kia, where is the personal attack, all I said was as accidents happen and the only damage was a few items of clothing which the OP is to be compensated for then I believe she should just get over it and move on.

Louis, I am most surprised at you and your comments and feel you have not read the thread thoroughly enough to see why I have said what I said. The OP made it clear in the posting by all the little ;) ;) etc. that they were after getting as much as possible out of this, therefore my comments about wanting to milk it for all its worth stand. Whereas it was made clear that the OH was happy to just let it drop and move on.

I am not the only person to have commented on this (Louis your quotes are from two people yet you have only named me), yet it appears that I am the only one to be flamed for daring to say what is needed. We are fast becoming as bad as the Americans in our haste to sue for the most trivial of things (I have not stated that what happened to the OP was trivial) and in my opinion it is nothing more than pure greed to do so. You are all entitled to your opinions, however just stop and think about what I have actually said and what it is doing to our society.

Guest Old_andrew2018

I am still covinced there is a serious health and safety issue, why were the fire service not called?, who knows would a report have been submitted, was this ever reported to the regulatory authority in seattle, we will not find out, it is up to Bonnie if she wishes to report the incident.

Bonnie if you had not tried already here is a link to the the City of Seattle web page http://www.seattle.gov/

If people had read your thread properly they would see you asked for advice, not personal comments, its also possible you will recieve Pm, if any are derogitory this has happended to me then report this to a moderator.

In addition Bonnie clink on the name of any member posting to see all threads/posts from that indivdual, it is a usuful tool as you will soon discover.

Please keep us informed,

regards

Andy

If people had read your thread properly they would see you asked for advice, not personal comments, its also possible you will recieve Pm, if any are derogitory this has happended to me then report this to a moderator.

What are you going on about? I noticed on another thread that somoene asked you to stop posting as you were just wasting there time. Another posted the following Ignore old_andrew2007, he's a bit of a troll/spammer TBH.”

Guest Old_andrew2018

Well chesterexpress, the post explains to bonnie (I am sure she is however already aware) how to contact the local authorities in seattle, they may take action,

or are you refering to this part of my post.

In addition Bonnie clink on the name of any member posting to see all threads/posts from that indivdual, it is a usuful tool as you will soon discover.

Now to explain CICK on the Name of someone posting, here you can find their threads/ postings, from this you can find what advice they have given in the past, then make an informed decision on what to do with that advice.

were you not already are aware of that tool.

Andy

Guest Old_andrew2018

I am aware that unfortunatly PMs have been used by some to "have a ago" at people, still it is an open forum. It is still best used as a tool to direct people to a thread.

However I have to admit in the thread where you mention "Trolls" http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/132597-glasgow-city-council-pcns.html I suggested the OP send you a Pm with link to his thread, as You have legal experience, however in the end I suggested pepipoo with a link to the site, FightBack Forums I have not seen any more info on this issue, so assume he or she had followed the link, hopfully thet were successful.

Andy

Guest louis wu

Louis, I am most surprised at you and your comments and feel you have not read the thread thoroughly enough to see why I have said what I said. The OP made it clear in the posting by all the little ;) ;) etc. that they were after getting as much as possible out of this, therefore my comments about wanting to milk it for all its worth stand. Whereas it was made clear that the OH was happy to just let it drop and move on.

If you can tell what Bonnies intentions are from a couple of 'smiles', then I take my hat off to you. Not only have I read this thread, I have read and commented on many posts made by Bonnie, and your assesment of her intentions are way off the mark, and very much out of order.

I am not the only person to have commented on this (Louis your quotes are from two people yet you have only named me), yet it appears that I am the only one to be flamed for daring to say what is needed. y.

The second quote on post number 18 was made by scatletpimpernel. There, feel better now? As for saying what's needed, your initial comments WERE NOT NEEDED, but you still decided to post them. You must have expected a reaction, which leads me to suspect you are enjoying this, otherwise why continue?