Overpayment of wages

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi...

I worked in an hotel between 2005 and march 2007. I went for 5 months in trip to Asia and come back to the same hotel in August 2007. I finished work January and returned to Asia. When I checked online the bank statement i noticed an underpayment of about 150 pounds. I contacted my boss that after a few insistences, she send me by email the answer: I was overpaid in 155,35 pounds in March (their mistake) and they simply made the deduction in my last payment, without my authorization. I never noticed any overpayment. I made over 40 Withdraw abroad (no exact idea of money in account), my adress was the same as the Hotel so my bank statements were returned to the bank (i didn't have by then banking online), my March payslips never deliverd to me and during this last 5 months, nobody mention nothing....

My question is this.. Is this last deduction without my permition legal?

Thanks for all your help

Luis

P.S.- Sorry for any mistakes but as a non english person sometimes is hard to write in the right Way

Luis,

I think you are within your rights to ask for the Hotel to show you copy payslips for the period in question.

You could also ask your bank to give you copy statements for the time you were abroad.

ps. your english is better than some english people I know :)

Struggling_Simon vs Cabot - WON

Struggling_Simon vs Abbey - WON

Struggling_Simon vs HBOS - Pending

--------------------------------------------

IF I HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit

Somper in excretia,som solem profundus variat.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Luis.

As stated above, you really need to see evidence that you were overpaid in the first instance. If it is correct, then your employer is within their rights to recover the money, although it is poor practice to not tell you about it at the time. Most forms of deductions from wages are subject to protention under the Employment Rights Act, but recovery of an earlier overpayment is unfortunately specifically excluded from this. You are however entitled to proof that the overpayment happened in the first place.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!