Hello All Need help re Woolwich Mortgage Problem

Heppy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope I'm inthe right place for advice about my mortgage , held with the Woolwich .

Up until learly last year I had always paid my mortgage via my local branch over the counter . Never via a direct debit.

I duly arrived one month and the branch had closed down .

There had been no notification or warning , even the staff who were very friendly but hadnt mentioned anything.

All the info there was was an 0870 telephone number to contact.

I duly tel , and was surprised to be answered by a Barclays machine giving me all sorts of options but none that I wanted.

I then got out some of my Woolwich letters and tried some of those numbers again a dead end .

Eventually , I got someone explained my predicament and was told that ALL of the Woolwich branches had closed.

I asked how I was meant to pay my mortgage , direct debit , was his reply .

I told him I didnt have a bank account wasnt there another way like payment book .

He told me that would take 6 weeks and reluctantly agreed to order one .

A few weeks later I was sent a nasty letter saying I was in arrears , so I rang the number on that letter ,

when I eventually got someone they told me they couldnt deal with it as their offices had been flooded . no computers .

They suggested I go into Barclays Bank as there was something in place and explained what I had to do .

off I went to Barclays , explained to the staff the problem and what Id been told .

They had never heard of it . Back to square one .

Rang the number back a couple of days later , got through to somewhere completely different ,

went through the tale and got told to do something completely different in the bank .

Back to bank , never heard of what I was saying

rung up the number while I was in the bank , they still hadnt heard of what they were being told to do.

on the advice of the branch staff only made one months payment , as they said to wait for confirmation of receipt .

So I waited .

All of this time I had the money kept ready to pay .

The next letter came from the bank about 6 weeks later asking me to make contact .

When I spoke to the woman in the bank , she said that she had had to trace me via my Woolwich account

as they had to repay me my mortgage payment as the system couldnt process it.

I was given every penny of my payment back.

First thing I did when I got home was ring the F.O.S ,

they said dont do anything more they would write to Barclays and I should now hear from Barclays within 2 weeks but allow them longer to investigate.

I did receive a letter from Barclays saying they would look into things bu then nothing

. I did go into hospital but I received my mail and I got nothing else before Christmas .

then in January I received another letter from Barclays from the arrears ,so I contacted them .

It was quite heated and the woman called me a liar , said they had sent me a letter in Sept outlining how I should pay .

The next day a letter arrived dated with a DD mandate attached .

How do I pay a DD with no bank account .

the upshot is that they have put the matter in the hands of the solicitors ,

but in the meantime I have managed to access a bank account of a family member

and made payment of the bulk of the money ,

( this is something I really didnt want to do)

the rest is due to go through by Monday which will in effect clear my debt .

But where do I stand as regards them maybe trying to reposess me ,

can they get an order .

This problem isnt going to go away as they are still not acknowledging my lack of a bank account .

BTW I am still waiting for a payment book , why am I not surprised .

In our Barcalys there is a notice saying make an apointment to see the woolwich Mortgage advisor . I would make an appointment with them ask to open a barclays account put you money in there each month and set up a direct debit you need not use it for anything else

with regard to repossession if you have paid the arreas you will be fine but keep a note of all your telephone conversation and the dates and any letters

In our Barcalys there is a notice saying make an apointment to see the woolwich Mortgage advisor . I would make an appointment with them ask to open a barclays account put you money in there each month and set up a direct debit you need not use it for anything else

with regard to repossession if you have paid the arreas you will be fine but keep a note of all your telephone conversation and the dates and any letters

Thanks for this info , but I dont think I will get a bank account , due to problems left by my ex partner on our joint account. I was burned .Now sorted , I now dont have any credit cards either , as Im doing quite nicely without them .

I do mean a summons , and I have pmd one person who has suggested someone else.

I dont even know where I would start a defence . Its also scheduled to be heard in Northampton which is miles away , do I have to attend .

I am also just so sick with worry over this .it was NEVER my intention not to pay , I was just being thwated in trying to pay and Barclays just didnt listen to the fact that I didnt have or want a bank account .

I do mean a summons , and I have pmd one person who has suggested someone else.

I dont even know where I would start a defence . Its also scheduled to be heard in Northampton which is miles away , do I have to attend .

I am also just so sick with worry over this .it was NEVER my intention not to pay , I was just being thwated in trying to pay and Barclays just didnt listen to the fact that I didnt have or want a bank account .

Are you still in arrears?? Have you tried to pay cash over the counter at Barclays? Before the county court will even consider granting a possession order it has to be satisfied that every avenue available has been explored by the lender and borrower and that possession is a very last resort. In addition, the lender must be seen to have done everything possible to help the borrower bring the account to order. It would appear from your story that they have not.

dont worry ive been out this evenng at work but i will go through it with you tomorrow if you want and you can have the hearing transferred to your local court have you a date for the hearing I am assuming it is a possession hearing we can get this sorted

dont worry ive been out this evenng at work but i will go through it with you tomorrow if you want and you can have the hearing transferred to your local court have you a date for the hearing I am assuming it is a possession hearing we can get this sorted

Thank you

I have been in contact with the FOC again they want me to send copies of any of the correspondence from Barclays and they will investigate , but I still have the court hearing to deal with .

This is really stressful .

Hi there, if you need any help with your defence please let me know and I will draft one for you.

In the meantime you could apply on line for a debit mastercard (I can let you have details) which allows you to put money onto it at any post office (it only takes a few days to come through). You would then put the amount you need to pay onto it and make the payments over the phone, this would at least solve the problem until they send you a payment book, and there would be no arrears to take you to court for!

If they are really intent on taking you to court then I think the judge would be more than annoyed that they have not given you any help at all.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thank You Ell-en ,

I have already applied for one of these debit mastercards.

However in the past when I did have have cards etc , I tried to apy my mortgage via this method and they wouldnt accept it .

Re the payment book I requested a payment method , either book or card early last year .

On the first occasion they said it would take 6 weeks to be processed ,

then 6 weeks later they said that method was not available .

At present I should not have any arrears as I have paid a substantial sum into my account via the method I described in my first post , effectively clearing any arrears .

If I had not wanted to pay I would not have kept all the monies for the mortgage ,

I wouldnt have repeatedly tried to pay .

Also like I said ,

my local Barclays bank actually refunded me a payment I had attempted to pay into my mortgage account .

does that strike you as someone who is not wanting to Pay.

Even the FOC said that Barclays should have had alternative arrangements in place for people that normally paid their mortgage via a branch.

I really would appreciate help please.

regards

Heppy

Hi, what date do you have to have your defence in by? when you put in your defence they will automatically transfer it to your local court (if in fact the Woolwich carry on with this action).

Have you asked them if they will now take a payment from your debit mastercard?

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

• Haha 1

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi , I havent made any approach to the Woolwich as yet . the way the system now is you deal with Barclays . I am really reluctant to speak on the phone as they do not listen to you and accuse you of being deceitful.

After the last tel call to them I came away from it thinking that it was lt my own fault and perhaps I hadnt done enough .Should I write ?

Re the date for the defence to be filed , I cant find anything in the paperwork , just the date of the hearing , 14 April .

Many thanks for coming back to me , its ahelp knowing someone is there .

The paperwork from the court will have notes with it regarding filing your defence, it could say something like - you have 14 or 21 or 28 days to send in your defence. Ring the court (there will be a number on the paperwork), give them the claim number and ask what the dates are it is important you don't miss the date.

Ell-enn

The paperwork from the court will have notes with it regarding filing your defence, it could say something like - you have 14 or 21 or 28 days to send in your defence. Ring the court (there will be a number on the paperwork), give them the claim number and ask what the dates are it is important you don't miss the date.

Ell-enn

Hi , I looked through the paperwork and it said reply within 14 days .

Then I did a double check and noticed that it was dated 22 Feb , yet it didnt arrive until 26 Feb, so Ive spoken to the court and they said its 14 days from the 22 FEb , So I lost 4 days straight away. It has been sent from the local court .

Look

dont panic firstly get together all the letters notes and dates of al lconversations with Barclays and any reference names or numbers

get a copy of where you have paid photocopy anything to do with your mortgage

and how you have previously paid it the details of the last payment

You have 2 days from the post mark + 14 days so by my calculation probably try to get it back by 7th

As you have a court date they cannot get judgment by default

and i do have to say when I had a possession order i did not reply till the day before the hearing

( and I still had it suspended )but it is better to try to get it in on time .

May I suggest you alsi wrie and ask for an uptodate staement keeping a copy of there letter all this can be uded in evidence.

Please don worry we are all hear to help get those documents together and one of us will help you

Keep your chin up

Bona