Help! Letter received from Lowells re t mobile debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter today quoting an old address that i lived in between 2004-2005. The letter asks me to call them and confirm my details so they can update their records. If i do not reply they will assume that these details are correct.

It doesnt say what this is about, but i am assuming that it is to do with a T-Mobile phone contract i took out in June 2005. It was an 18month contract that i took out over the internet. I paid the first 2 months by cheque and then i moved house in aug 2005. For one reason or another i forgot to pay the next couple of months and my phone was cut off. I never used the phone again and didnt tell T- Mobile my new address. I haven't heard anything since, until this letter arrived.

What do i do? Should i contact Lowells and confirm my details? If it is to do with my phone contract, where do i stand? I got myself into such a pickle with money when i moved house and have managed to pay off several other debts and to be honest, i had completely forgotten about this. I really dont want people turning up at my door or phone calls made to the house and i am really worried about this.

Any help is much appreciated

DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM

Wait until they come up with something more substantive.

They are on a PHISHING trip.

NEVER PHONE THEM OR SPEAK TO THEM ON THE PHONE IF THEY RING YOU

They will try anything to get money from you whether or not they can prove a debt belongs to you

Ok, so if i dont reply, what is likely to happen next? Will they write again and give more details of the debt that they are chasing? If i havent confirmed my details, surely they cant disclose this information as they cant be sure that they are giving it out to the right person?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG

under no circumstances should you ever telephone these "people"

basically this is a phishing trip, they are trying to get you to confirm that they have the right person, or not. its a bit like someone saying to you "stand perfectly still while I hit you" absolutely stupid

Don't reply to them, wait for somethig with your name and address and clear information as to what the debt or enquiry is referring to.

These companies have no legal powers to come to your house, attach your earnings, take your house etc etc etc, only the courts can do these things, and to be fair, they are never to keen to apply such punitive measures when it is clear that the debtor is making a genuine attempt to resolve the problem, so above all else, don't panic and don't call them. they tell lies and later refute them, something they cannot do when they put it in writing.

The worst case scenario is that you come to terms with these "people" and pay a reasonable amount based on what you can afford and something that YOU are in control of.

If this has been of help, please feel free to tip the scales

if i dont reply as i dont know what debt this letter refers to, and then later acknowlegde the debt, will Lowells use this against me saying that i ignored their initial request?

Lowells are full of bull. This letter is just an enquiry. How do you know what it may relate to. It may not even be you the clowns are after but maybe someone with a similar sounding name.

Remember they MUST prove you owe a debt and they have a Legal right to collect. Do as I advised in my first response and wait until they come up with details of the ALLEGED debt.

• 2 months later...

I owe approx £350 to T-Mobile and this debt has been passed to Red Debt collection services. I agreed to pay £35 a month in order to clear the debt. They wrote back saying that they accept my offer of payment and enclosed a standing order form. I completed the standing order form and returned it... this was at the end of March. My first payment is due this week, but they havent set the standing order up.... i just want to get this debt paid off, so was going to send a cheque this month. Could you tell me what address i should be sending the payment to please? Also, if i send them a cheque and they cash it AND then miraculously set the SO up, can they take 2 payments from me for this month?

Thanks

make sure you have sufficient funds to be able to pay all of the uncollected payments because when they do set it up will almost certainly collect all of those.

My advice is don't send a cheque but write to them (special delivery) pointing out their delay & asking when they intend to take payment......that way your covered if they try a say you haven't paid

Dont worry as its a Standing Order. They can only take out the amount specified on the Standing Order unlike a Direct Debit. If you have a letter from them acknowledging recept of your Standing Order then I would ignore them. If they are so incompetant that they cannot even arrange that then thats their problem

If its a standing order, the customer is in control of the amount paid. With a Direct Debit, its the other way round... the amounts are variable.

You obviously want to clear the debt, as you want to set up a standing order, so it might be worth giving them a call to explain you actually want to pay as per the agreement (and follow it up in writing, with lots of referring to previous letters etc), but as yet, there is no standing order set up. If they cant be bothered to set it up, its their loss, and even gives you breathing space. I'd keep checking with the bank when it arrived, but don't pee them off too much, they have enough to worry about with all the people here claiming their unlawful charges back lol.

At the moment, while you are on "good terms" with them, talk to them (and always follow up in writing keeping a copy for yourself, and sending it by recorded delivery and keeping the receipt). Don't forget to take a name, and record the time and date any calls were made/received... just in case you might need these details later.

If they want to play silly, pop back, and more experienced help will be fothcoming.. I can guarantee that.

Good luck with it, and take care.

Thanks people... from what i have read on this great forum, i will keep all communications inwriting, just incase they decide to play silly buggers!

Does anyone have the address where i can send my letter to please?