MacKenzie Hall

Ballygowan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

I'm a newby and have another question to add to the ongoing MacKenzie Hall saga....

My partner was recently contacted by MH demanding immediate payment of an outstanding debt of around £1100. My partner has tried to find out who the original creditor was, but is as yet none the wiser, so needs to invesitgate further.

In the meantime, he offered MH a repayment but they stated they do not set up repayment plans/arrangements and he needs to make the payment in full. they state they will give a discount if he does this by monday, saying he can pay "just £750" in full to clear the debt.

My partner is not disputing the debt - he just needs time to look further into it as he thinks it may be from around 1999 when his marriage dissolved, and has offered them a decent repayment of £120 pm starting this week! they point blank refused and said it's "going to court" (nothing has actually gone to court yet and there's definately no judgement). they've also said they've contacted DVLA and obtained details of his vehicle (worth a mere £700) and they are going to come and collect it!

Can anyone advise on what to do now? My partner is the kind of person who pays without question, as doesn't like being chased for money, but I've asked him to hang on until we know more. Basically, does anyone know what to do if they refuse our repayment plan/offer, as we're not in a position to pay £750 by monday. I know the CAB can help, but we're looking for some advice until we can get that ball rolling.

Thanks in anticipation. :confused:

MH are talking bovine excrement. They cannot take his car whether or not it is worth 700 quid or 7000. Only a court can order the seizure of property by appointing Balliffs and only then if you default on a CCJ.

The first thing you need to do is establish

1. What this alleged debt relates to

2. If a CCA agreement exists and if MH have a legal right to be chasing you for any money.

This debt may well be Statute Barred and therefore totally UNENFORCABLE

DO NOT SPEAK TO THESE MUPPETS ON THE PHONE AND DO NOT MAKE ANY PAYMENT OR AGREEMENT TO PAY THEM UNTIL YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED THE FACTS

MH will accept anything on a purchased debt!

Don't contact them or make any offers. Find out all the details firstly.

As ODC says, they're talking wet. I would love to see them pull up and start removing a car.

I could just about take one with high court writ, so i assure you they can't.

Read ODC's sig - "Never believe all the DCAs tell you"

In the meantime, he offered MH a repayment but they stated they do not set up repayment plans/arrangements and he needs to make the payment in full. they state they will give a discount if he does this by monday, saying he can pay "just £750" in full to clear the debt.

Lol...what planet are MH on? :D

Take it from me as ive had dealings with this lot - they are just an irritating bug of a company with no legal powers whatsoever & just like to threaten/bully etc...:rolleyes:

Please be assured that they will go away after a while once they realize you arent easily intimidated.

Do not pay any such amount of money upfront - demand that they cease all contact with you & let them take their "legal actions" - i bet you any money they dont ;)

Is your partner mad?

You say he received this demand and doesnt know what it is, yet wants to set up a repayment with an outfit that he doesnt even know if they have the right to collect it, the fact that they have offered a discount of £300 probably means that they have very little paperwork on this as well and not much chance of legally collecting it.

If nothing has been paid since 1999 it is Statute Barred and they can ask for payment but you are not obliged to pay them and they cannot put any marks on your credit records.

NEVER TALK TO THESE PEOPLE ON THE PHONE also dont use debit cards or Direct Debits, standing orders only and if he writes to them dont sign it, print the name.

So how do this MH even trade then?

trading standards already shut down one company run by the founders of Mackenzie hall, and rumours say that a number of previous incarnations of his company have closed prior to their OFT revoking their license, although I have seen no definitive proof of this.

i've done a FoIA to find out how many people have applied for a credit license, and how many were refused. My impression is that it is possible to get a credit license fairly easily, although this might be unfair.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

• 9 months later...

hello!!!! im a very paniced right now. i recived the letter yeserday from MH asking me to contact them urgently, as they need to discuss a personal matter, this was to my new adress, so i have no idea how they have found me.they asked me to confirm that i was the person the letter was adressed to, being so naive, i did. they then went on to tell me that i had to make a payment just shy of 3k to clear the debt that they were looking after for black horse, obviously im in no position to pay the amount. they started ranting at me demanding i sum, telling me they cant help, or anything or make and arrangement to settle the debt and hung up on me. i then rang them back and spoke to another person, they said to stop and body kncking on my door to sease good, i would need to pay 20% of the debt, which when asked them, they say its just shy of 3K, not giving me an exact sum, which would work out at £595, of which again there is no way i could pay. so then they go on to tell me, that I have 10 days to find the money. the phone call ends. by this time in litterally pooing my pants, the thought of someone knocking on my doot to take my belongings, oh man!!!! so i then ring them back, to see if they will accept anything to stop any action being taken, i get to speak to an "account manager"which she then tells me, i have to pay at least 25% which is £780. in my panic of despair out comes my credit card and I pay 300, for them hold my account for 10 days!!! now after looking them up, i realise i have been the victim of sever intimidation of a bunch of bullying idiots,, and dont know what to do from here, as iv tecnically reopened the debt!!!!! asnd now they have me credit card details. any advice would be greatly apprecited. i feel like such a fool, for letting them twsit me round their little finger.

firstly your in good hands here. Might be useful to start your own tread and you will get better answers that way. Secondly I would call your credit card comapny get them to issue you a new card tell them the old one was stolen. This will stop MH from been able to get future payments off your card. Now how old is the debt. It might be worth asking them for a cca to see if they actually have one chances are they dont

1 High Street,

Newtown,

Kent

R21 4RH

June 28, 2006

The Loan Company

Company House,

Church Street,

Newtown,

Kent,

R1 7HG

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:− Account/Reference Number 4563210025897412

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

Print Name Do Not Sign

this may not even be your partners debt this happened with me a few years back and I ended up paying someone elese debt

Do NOT panic of Muck Hall. They are the worlds most useless DCA. They are so pitiful that they even make Lowells look good and we all know how crap they are. They are widely regarded as a joke company. NEVER ever speak to them on the phone as they are so full of nonsense and empty threats. Send them the CCA letter. That should be the end of it as you will totally confuse them.