Son's dismissal due to CRB despite disclosing at interview

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son started working in October at a job which involves going into customer's homes installing equipment.

He had to sign a form for permission for a CRB check. He told his employers that he has a conviction for possession of Class C drugs (canabis) 18 months ago and was told that this would not be a problem.

He completed training courses (paid for himself) and worked through Christmas, 7 days a week often working 16 hour days.

The money he earned for the hours he put in was c**p to be honest but he loved the job.

Since Christmas work has dropped off and he was told today that the CRB check has now been returned with the conviction for drugs and they are severing his employment immediately.

He is gutted and cannot understand how if he was such a risk it was OK for him to go into customer's homes alone when they were overrun with work but it's not now orders have tailed off.

Any advice?

What an awful experience for your son. Sadly however I think that you have hit the nail on the head with your last sentence - it seems as though the CRB has been used as a justification to reduce staffing overheads with a reduction in work being available.

Realistically I don't think that there is any action which can be brought to bear on the company, nor any claim against them, but it may well be worth writing and asking the questions as to why the conviction was deemed to not be a barrier to employment initially (and indeed why it has been acceptable for him to be in customers' houses) but they have now backtracked. I would also question as to why despite knowing of the conviction they allowed him to pay for training courses if there was a chance of their original decision being reversed on receipt of the CRB.

I hope that you get some answers, but as I say I do not think that you have any legal comeback against them for basically wasting four months of your son's time. I hope that he manages to find another job soon.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I don't think I would give up that easily. I would certainly ask for reimbursment of the course fees citing the acceptance of his admitting at the interview his one error in life and they accepting it as 'no problem'.

I agree with Conniff. He should get his expences back at least.

agreed, hopefully this course will at least provide him with other opportunities for employment:)

its all a joke tho...i mean heres a guy trying to earn a decent living, may as well give up and claim benefits:mad:

I have just re-read the OP's post and my response. Did your son receive a letter confirming the appointment or anything in writing to say that the job offer was conditional? Anything to say that he was required to pay for training courses? I agree entirely that this is worth pursuing, especially if you can prove that an offer was made irrespective of the CRB - at the very least there is a breach of contract, the case for which is much stronger if you have an admission that they made a 'mistake'.

Apologies for not phrasing my initial response sufficiently thoroughly :o

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I was just thinking about if this did go to tribunal. When your son informed them about his conviction was it verbally or did he actually declare it on a application form? I was just wondering if the company might deny knowlege of it.