• Tweets

• Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everybody,

My first post on this site - I wanted to tell you all with problems with bailiffs, particularly Drakes Group, that stick by your guns - you can win. I did.

My story starts back in September last year when one afternoon out of the blue arrived a bailiff officer on my front door - a Drakes Group bailiff.

I didn't answer the door, was out the back at the time. Came in to see him put something through the letterbox and drive away.

First I thought it was just a double glazing flyer or something. Then when I read it I realised he was a bailiff.

I immediately phoned him and asked him what the hell all this was about. He just referred me that is for a PCN dating back to September 2005.

This PCN was for being in a bus lane. I never received the PCN in the first place and was astounded at this. Contacting the relevant local London authority got me nowhere. As expected "nothing to do with us, it's gone to the bailffs".

Frightened by "stories" of bailiffs and not having any money to get a solicitor involved I was beside myself with worry.

My first problem was the bailiff from Drakes, who by now had visited 3 times. I never answered the door to him. On his last visit he left a notice saying he would be back that weekend to remove my property.

Before I could attack the problem of the PCN I had to stop the bailiff and put the PCN back in the control of the local authority where they would deal with me. Drakes contact number is just a recorded message that dumps you. Letters would take too long so I faxed them from work. Making sure I printed out the fax transmission report as proof of sending.

That's my first bit of advice - ALWAYS, ALWAYS GET PROOF OF SENDING. IF POSTING SEND REGISTERED POST (usually about £1.04 for a normal sized letter, or £4.30 for "track and trace") GET A CASH RECEIPT FROM THE POST OFFICE TOO ALONG WITH YOUR RECORDED DELIVERY COUNTERFOIL.

ALWAYS PRINT OUT A COPY OF YOUR LETTER FOR YOUR FILES. IT'S NO USE SAYING "It's OK, it's on me hard drive". PRINT A COPY AND STAPLE THE COUNTERFOIL AND RECEIPT TO IT. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH PAPERWORK - IT'S ALL WORTH IT IN THE END.

Now, to cut a long story short - I did a lot of research on the web and found out from lots of really good websites and kind words from TomTubby on here what the situation was.

First of all I filed a "Late Statutory Declaration" with the TEC (Traffic Enforcement Centre" in Northampton.

This got the Warrant of Execution revoked and therefore removed the bailiff out of my way, supposedly and returned the owness back to the local London authority where I successfully challenged the PCNs (there were 3 of them and only one had gone as far as the courts, the middle one by 18 months! Go figure!)

With advice from TomTubby and Neil Herron of parkingappeals dot co dot uk it was very easy - AND I DO MEAN VERY EASY - to get these PCNs cancelled. Putting me in the light that the London authority were just "trying it on" in the first place. They cancelled the PCNs so quickly without a fight. They knew they had nothing to go on, but that didn't stop them trying to squeeze money out of me by intimidation. Look up "Barnet v. Moses" for the landmark court hearing on this one.

SECOND PIECE OF ADVICE: IT'S ALL ABOUT INTIMIDATION. DON'T WORRY - THERE REALLY IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO IF YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT. The whole process is based on intimidation. Like when you're driving down the road and a police car is behind you - you think "Hands at ten-to-two, don't even scratch your nose! Don't want to get pulled". You feel immediately guilty. Bailiffs, local authorites and private parking firms bank on this feeling of a rabbit caught in cars headlights.

Now, during the process of putting in the Late Statutory Declarations I made an enquiry to the TEC about the warrant. Not really knowing what this was all about. It was then, purely by accident, that I found out the warrant had expired weeks ago!

Warrants of Execution are applied for by the local authority, or whoever you have the alledged debt with and then handed to the bailiff to carry out his business. A bailiff is useless without one, he cannot apply for one himself. He is required to BY LAW to carry and show you the relevant warrant.

Drakes bailiffs only have a copy of the warrant with very little information on it. This is wrong and illegal and he was critisised for it in court.

Warrants of this type are valid for 12 MONTHS.

That meant that the bailiff was trying to enforce an OUT OF DATE and EXPIRED Warrant of Execution. ASK TO SEE THE WARRANT.

And he knew it. I asked for an explanation in writing from Drakes. They avoided the questions. I wrote twice, the second time threatening them with a "Form 4" complaint.

I had no joy with these scumbags so I downloaded a "Form 4" Complaint Against a Certified Bailiff, Distress for Rent Rules 1988, Rule 8.

I filled it in and sent it off to the County Court where the bailff was first certificated. Within a matter of weeks I received a notice that the bailiff was to attend a County Court hearing to explain to the judge as to why his certificate should not be removed.

THIRD BIT OF ADVICE: YOU HAVE THE POWER TO COMPLAIN AND GET A BAILIFFS CERTIFICATE CANCELLED IF HE HAS DONE WRONG.

In a hearing lasting just over an hour, where I was asked to take the witness stand and give my story of events, be examined by the judge and cross-examined by the Drakes "solicitor" (I use this term very loosely, read into that what you will) the judge upheld my compaint and the bailff was made to pay a fine of £2,000 with £1,000 coming to me as compensation for out of pocket expenses.

In the judges summing up Drakes were heavily criticised for their actions, as was the bailiff.

FOURTH GEM OF ADVICE: DRAKES ARE WELL KNOWN (ADMITTED IN COURT BY THE BAILIFF) FOR HANDING OUT WARRANTS THAT ARE CLOSE TO EXPIRY TO THIER OFFICERS. CHECK THE WARRANT WITH THE TEC. IT'S A PHONECALL AWAY!

I won. Just the look on the bailiffs face was enough for me. They think we don't know our rights. They think if we can't pay a £500 fine, we can't pay for a solicitor or court systems.

Drakes were pulled apart in court. They hadn't filed relevant information and they hadn't sent me a copy of the bailiffs statement. They did not impress the judge at all.

You don't have to pay anything to put in a "Form 4" complaint. Just download it, fill it in and send it off. DO NOT, PLEASE PEOPLE, DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT. THEY ARE **** AND THERE ARE RULES, REGULATIONS AND LAWS TO PROTECT US.

The more of us that complain the more chance we have of stopping these nasty people from inflicting this sort of harrassment and intimidation.

The law and the courts take a very, very dim and serious view of this breach of the law. Don't be fooled by the system, it does work if you make it work. But you have to be honest. Don't go making things up or covering facts up. It's not worth it.

My advice to people in this situation:

1) NEVER, EVER let a bailiff into your house. As stated elsewhere on this site it is not illegal. REFUSE to speak to them. Eventually they have to return the warrant to the local authority or company with their tail between their legs.

2) CHECK THE WARRANT AND ITS VALIDITY. ASK TO SEE THE WARRANT.

3) PRINT COPIES OF ALL CORRESPONDANCE BETWEEN YOU AND EVERYONE AND SEND EVERYTHING RECORDED DELIVERY AND GET A CASH RECEIPT. (Don't be daft and stick things through the franking machine at work!)

4) SEEK ADVICE ABOUT THE NATURE OF THE DEBT. If like me it was for a PCN then talk to the TEC at Northampton and see if you can file a Statutory Declaration.

5) REMEMBER IT'S ABOUT INTIMIDATION AND HARRASSMENT. DON'T GIVE IN.

6) IF THE BAILIFF ACTS IMPROPERLY FILE A "FORM 4" IMMEDIATELY.

I won because I was in the right and stuck to my guns and the bailiff acted unlawfully. Had I been more experienced about representing myself in court I could have had the book thrown at him. Drakes are a slimey little organisation who very cleverly spread the blame to get the "sentence" lowered - like copping an insanity plea! Had I been more on my toes I could have pulled lots of things apart, but alas I am still happy with the result.

Me 1

Drakes 0.

• Haha 1

Guest 10110001

Well done! As for Drakes, what goes around comes around.

I wish our proceedings against Drakes were as straightforward as yours, our first complaint was dismissed by the judge, contradicted by another judge later. I had lost faith in filing Form 4's.

Our claim involves a tad more than £3,000, and hoping to reach a conclusion with Drakes within six months now. The council claim (breaking & entering and Fraud Act 2006) was settled in court last Feb.

Well done Skippy - A great result.

I'm sure others will find your story interesting and useful.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Skippy,

You had a great day, and thank you so much for sharing your experience with others here on Consumer Action.

This is another example that shows that if you have detailed paperwork you will do well.

Don't forget the transcript !!!

Many more people are taking their complaints to court via a Form 4 Complaint and your case demonstrates that you can succeed.

I was only too glad to assist you. Can you call me tomorrow...I have some gossip for you !!

WELL DONE !!!!!

It is quite common for bailiff companies to send out warrants with only 2/3 weeks life on them. The main reason is that too much work and not enough bailiffs.

Also some councils "WASH" their work and will have a warrant returned by one bailff company and then pass onto another company and if they are not successful, they might pass onto a thrid company.

Please note that although the life of a warrant of execution is only 1 year, the council can reapply for a new warrant on the same ticket.

Pizza Maker.

A Warrant of Execution for an unpaid Parking Charge Notice CANNOT be renewed.

The following is from the Code of Practice relating to the Traffic Enforcment Centre.

Execution and expiry of a warrant of execution

9.21 On receipt of an authority from the TEC for the issue of a warrant of

execution, the Local Authority shall produce the warrant (PE9) within

seven days from the date of authorisation (see Annex 17).

9.22 A copy of the warrant must be forwarded to a Certificated Bailiff for

execution. The warrant must be enforced as a county court warrant.

The certificated bailiff must have the warrant in his personal possession

when he visits a person or premises with a view to enforcing it and he

must produce it on demand to anyone who has reasonable grounds to

see it.

9.23 As the warrant is, effectively, a county court warrant it takes its priority from the date the Local Authority applied for its issue. A warrant is valid for one year, and will not be extended.

9.24 The Local Authority shall withdraw an unsatisfied warrant from the bailiff 12 months from the date of issue. The TEC will therefore consider a

warrant to have ‘expired’ one year and seven days after the date of

authorisation.

9.25 Warrants cannot be renewed.

Nice result.. well done! :)

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

Hi

So pleased to hear you won, its my turn tomorrow. I too am getting help from tomtubby and this person is great! Nice to see someone else decide to fight back, however there needs to be some law in place to stop the likes of Drakes from terrorising and bullying people as they do? any ideas? Did you get a solicitor eventually or did you go yourself?

regards

Chef 007:)

Guest Screw The Bailiff
Hi

So pleased to hear you won, its my turn tomorrow. I too am getting help from tomtubby and this person is great! Nice to see someone else decide to fight back, however there needs to be some law in place to stop the likes of Drakes from terrorising and bullying people

There is, unfortunately the courts tend to ignore them. There's a classic case involving a Drakes bailiff who was working with an expired certificate.

There was a small claims case against the authority to recover damages, and the judge in that proceeding made a finding of fact that the bailiff was uncertificated. A complaint was then filed at the bailiffs certificating court and the judge dismissed it.

So we have two Judges sitting at different courts at roughly the same time considering the same facts, and they contradicted each other in their rulings.

Hi I WON TOO!!!!!!!!!

Message to all of you out there being bullied by Drakes , I am more than happy to share my experience with you, to help you to stand up to those legal thiefs. The Judge ruled that it was illegal for Drakes to charge an Attend To Remove Charge of £120.00 plus VAT, nor could they Charge for a Van to remove goods @ £120.00plus VAT nor could they immobilise a vehicle before knocking on your door and charging for the clamp!!!!! I paid nothing as a result, ie I was compensated (much more than I was Charged !) and the Judge wiped the floor with Drakes.

Leave me an email address if you want to know more.

Come on everyone lets beat them into the ground!!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Guest Screw The Bailiff
Hi I WON TOO!!!!!!!!!

The Judge ruled that it was illegal for Drakes to charge an Attend To Remove Charge of £120.00 plus VAT, nor could they Charge for a Van to remove goods @ £120.00plus VAT...

Since you now have a finding of fact, report the bailiff for a criminal prosection using this letter.

Keep us posted.

Chef 007

WELL DONE!!!

As you and I both know, a lot of work went into this complaint and it was made harder by Drakes dragging their heels on providing a copies of vital documents that proved that fees were wrong a visits too.

Whether Drakes Group will now instruct their bailiffs to not charge these "attending to remove" fees before knocking on the door and requesting payment will remain to be seen. As we know a lot more was said in court and I look forward to reading the transcipt !!

I will call you tomorow.

Hi I WON TOO!!!!!!!!!

Message to all of you out there being bullied by Drakes , I am more than happy to share my experience with you, to help you to stand up to those legal thiefs. The Judge ruled that it was illegal for Drakes to charge an Attend To Remove Charge of £120.00 plus VAT, nor could they Charge for a Van to remove goods @ £120.00plus VAT nor could they immobilise a vehicle before knocking on your door and charging for the clamp!!!!! I paid nothing as a result, ie I was compensated (much more than I was Charged !) and the Judge wiped the floor with Drakes.

Leave me an email address if you want to know more.

Come on everyone lets beat them into the ground!!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p

the scummy gits did that to me the other day saying Before knocking that my car had a clamp

Before that they turned up with a van! and charged for it even tho they took nothing

away......

Guest Screw The Bailiff

James C, you can reclaim the fees by writing to the bailiff using this template, also write to the authority that instructed the bailiff with this template then file a Form 4 complaint entering the following in the Description field -

The bailiff charged me a £[AMOUNT] as a [DESCRIPTION] fee for clamping my car without giving me reasonable opportunity to pay ther debt. I now understand that there is no entitlement to make this charge because these fees are not prescribed and I was denied an opportunity to pay without further fees being added.

The bailiff ignored a written request to put things right on [ENTER DATE OF BAILIFFS VISIT].

I make this complaint on the basis I am being defrauded by the bailiff in the meaning of Section 2(1)(b)(i) and Section 4(1)©(i) of the Fraud Act 2006 and I respectfully ask the court to award me a refund along with any costs allowed by the court.

• 2 weeks later...